Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eligibility rule change - Benefit Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

Cool........... I wonder are there any lads from Argentina we could call up, what with all the Irish missionaries over there in the past. Maybe Riquelme has a bit of Irish blood in him after all? :D

ah no man he's too slow, i believe we could get us messi we just have to say his name is Liam Messí. i'm sure if we all chipped in we could buy him a passport. i'd say fianna fail would be happy with the extra few shillings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lol at all the objectors in this thread.

No one seemed to give a sh1t when Jack Charlton got Ireland to a world cup finals, barely an Irish accent to be heard from the manager to to the players,Cascarino got in by accident ffs.

Lol, patriotism? Irish players for the Irish team? GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Don't like this myself. What's the point having an 'Irish' team made up of token Irishmen? Anton Ferdinand is from Peckham, he's a Cockney lad through and through. About as Irish as Queen Liz herself. Not an option.

I wouldn't touch Nolan at this stage. He turned us down us down before, and I wouldn't go chasing after him now. If he agreed to join us now he'd clearly be just hopping on the bandwagon with a view to playing in a world cup so fcuk him. He wanted to play for England (that's why he turned us down) so he obviously feels English in his heart. That's what matters.

Because they're not Irish perhaps? Nolan turned us down, Noble is a cockney lad.

I don't get you when you go on about cockneys. What about scouses or mancs? It makes no sense. The lads don't have to go to bed every night sleeping under a tri colour duvet having spent the night drinking Guinness to be Irish.
    Noble had agreed to partake in a friendly under Brian Kerr and then, having not committed himself, he could make a decision whether playing for Ireland was the right thing for him. It was later resolved he couldn't play for us. Now he can. That's my understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I don't understand why people don't agree with this, Kevin Kilbane,Steven Reid,Sean St.ledger,Caleb Folan to name but a few are all english born players and so called "plastic Paddies" but yet they are playing for us now.I can only see Ireland benefiting from this change.
    I would prefer O'Hara/Nolan to Whelan/Andrews centre mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

People going on about players lining out for England at young age being "English at heart" are taking a childishly simplistic view of things.

I know a lot of people who consider themselves to be more than one natioanlity. For example I know loads of people who were born in England with both an English and an Irish parent (or two Irish parents) who feel they have both ancestral ties to Ireland, along with their own allegiance to the country in which they were born and grew up.

There is absolutely no reason why a person can't be happy to play for either team, and in the case where a player is talented enough to have the option of playing for either at underage level it's only natural that they would pick playing with the better team. That doesn't instantly change their heritage or their feelings towards it, and if later on they no longer have the option of playing for one country but they still can play for the other there should be (and happily is) absolutely no reason why they can't do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'd consider anyone except Kevin Nolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mark Noble would be brilliant for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Get the scouts over to Chile. They can start in O'Higgins park and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have a German passport. Does anyone on here think the Germans would think twice about callign me up if I was better than what they have? Course they dont habve "800 years" rabble rabble, to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Stekelly wrote: »
    I have a German passport. Does anyone on here think the Germans would think twice about callign me up if I was better than what they have? Course they dont habve "800 years" rabble rabble, to overcome.

You Plastic Prussian You!

They do have participation in Two World Wars, the Franco-Prussian war and a whole unification issue in fairness.

I would argue there is slightly more national turbulance in their history than ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

noodler wrote: »
    You Plastic Prussian You!

They do have participation in Two World Wars, the Franco-Prussian war and a whole unification issue in fairness.

I would argue there is slightly more national turbulance in their history than ours

They have a good few polish playes http://bleacherreport.com/articles/95886-the-german-national-team-polska-edition#page/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jaimee o'hara was approached before to play for ireland and he was interested in playing for ireland but he was too old at the time to declare only since then has he been capped at under 21 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We have a bit of competition on our hands though in the shape of NI. Apparently the North are after Jamie O'Hara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

We have a bit of competition on our hands though in the shape of NI. Apparently the North are after Jamie O'Hara.
    He'd be an idiot to choose them tbh. I'd be more concerned that he'd hold out in the slim hope of getting a senior England call up. They aren't exactly spoiled for choice for left sided players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

KerranJast wrote: »
    He'd be an idiot to choose them tbh. I'd be more concerned that he'd hold out in the slim hope of getting a senior England call up. They aren't exactly spoiled for choice for left sided players.

This is going to get confusing: The England 'B' team will be playing for the Republic of Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland 'B' team will be playing for Northern Ireland....... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

This is going to get confusing: The England 'B' team will be playing for the Republic of Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland 'B' team will be playing for Northern Ireland....... :confused:

i got no problem with that if it means we'll be in the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Stekelly wrote: »
    I have a German passport.

So has Selcuk Tidim or "Paddy" as he's known effectionately :D

Advertisement