Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without TV or phone

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a cheap ISP that doesn't always have to bundle in TV or phone. Does anyone know of anywhere that does this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No ISP forces a phone or TV bundle, it's an option. If you want DSL, you have to pay phone line rental though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

jor el wrote: »
    No ISP forces a phone or TV bundle, it's an option. If you want DSL, you have to pay phone line rental though.

And if that's the case I may as well get a bundle I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Recon wrote: »

DSL is just a type of broadband. You could get something from Irish Broadband, ICE or UPC(Chorus) that doesn't involve phone line rental. They use wireless or cable to provide your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm looking for a cheap ISP that doesn't always have to bundle in TV or phone. Does anyone know of anywhere that does this?

Do you already have a phone line or Cable TV ???

Do you already have a phone line or Cable TV ???

Just moved into a new house (renting) there's the chorus cable there already from the last renter. I just want broadband, couldn't be bothered with either TV or phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

it depends if your going to use the phone,
    but yeah it often makes sense just to get a bundle of some sort

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just moved into a new house (renting) there's the chorus cable there already from the last renter. I just want broadband, couldn't be bothered with either TV or phone.

You can get cable broadband from UPC without the TV or phone options, I believe UPC charge something like 6e extra if you go for just Broadband

More details here http://www.upc.ie/internet/prices/
    Because of the high surcharge it often makes sense to just pay the few euro more and get TV as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A call bundle will cost more, and if you're not making calls then that's a waste. It only saves you money if you are paying 10s of euros a month for phone calls.

It all depends on what's available. DSL may be your only option, in which case you will have to pay line rental. If UPC broadband is available, then it's one of the cheapest. Digiweb/IBB Breeze are also worth considering. Smart and Magnet do good prices on DSL with inclusive line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Smart and Magent really only good value for higher speed, higher traffic due to eircom pricing ovehead even on LLU. Digiweb Metro, IBB/IMagine's Breeze and UPC cable BB all save you the hidden or separate line rental (practically highest in world).

Thanks for all the helpful replies and pointing me in the right direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement