Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II (HL) - How was it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Piste wrote: »
    God I hate maths.

For the C part of the circle question I got an answer. Not the right answer you have to understand, because no answer could be as ridiculous as mine. Fractions all over the gaff.

I got H in a quadratic on its own, then ended up with complex roots! Kinda gave up then....:(

Thought the paper was a lot harder than paper 1, was hoping for an A but really really doubt it now.

Oh, and that vectors question was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

Fince wrote: »
    i got the same as you in 1bi.
    unit vector i said was over 5, not root5
    got completey differnt for 3bii
    think your tana/2 is right
    Q5, 180 was an option as well

Thanks...probably will lose 3 marks for no 180

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I did ****!!! paper 2 isn't my best anyway but I found it very difficult, couldn't do loads of the (b) parts :eek: could only do the (a) part on Q8 and a bit of the (b) couldn't do the max/min volume at all. the circle, couldn't do part of (b) or (c). vectors. couldn't do the (b) part AT ALL. The line, think I got the whole question out. Trig couldn't do the (b) part of the first trig. couldn't do the (c) part or some of the (b) part on the second trig. I was planning on doing probabilty launched into got all confused and ****ed up, started to panic, made loads of mistakes so went off and did the trig instead

****E. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

did anyone else do further prob?

it was all going really well...................

and then c)ii

I got something like 20,I think....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

arthistory wrote: »
    Thanks...probably will lose 3 marks for no 180
    I dont think you will cos 180 isnt part of the answer....cosx is equal to -1 in 180 and it was supposed to be 1 so your ok!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

SugoiHito wrote: »
    I dont think you will cos 180 isnt part of the answer....cosx is equal to -1 in 180 and it was supposed to be 1 so your ok!!

I got 0, 90, 270 and 360. But I always get the unit circle wrong so I'm not sure if it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

what a stupid mistake!! just remembered that i didn't +c the integration by parts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I just realised that I wrote down 2(6)^1/2 instead of 4(6)^1/2 for the trig with the cheese! Everything perfect until that! :mad: How many marks will I lose for it? :(

I got 0, 90, 270 and 360. But I always get the unit circle wrong so I'm not sure if it's right.
    it was 0 less than or equal x less than or equal to 180

what a stupid mistake!! just remembered that i didn't +c the integration by parts as well.
    Haha i forgot the +c too....dammit...the more i look at it the more mistakes i see!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

What was the answer for the cheese Q.
    I think i got ither 3(root8) or 8(root3)

Swaine55 wrote: »
    What was the answer for the cheese Q.
    I think i got ither 3(root8) or 8(root3)

4(root6) but stupid me not paying attention to my calculator wrote down 2(root6). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

it was 0 less than or equal x less than or equal to 180

Crap. I read 360. Should have checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Not as good as Paper 1, I was still writing at the end so I didn't have time to look over what I'd done, I know I finished 3 questions (though didn't necessarily get them all right) and on each of other questions there was something that didn't really work out.

For 8(b) me and 2 others in my class got the same answer, but got 233 for the approximate value of sqrt(17), so not really sure what the hell happened there.

If f(x) = sqrt(1+x) then surely to get an approximate value for sqrt(17) you let x = 16?

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Not as good as Paper 1, I was still writing at the end so I didn't have time to look over what I'd done, I know I finished 3 questions (though didn't necessarily get them all right) and on each of other questions there was something that didn't really work out.

For 8(b) me and 2 others in my class got the same answer, but got 233 for the approximate value of sqrt(17), so not really sure what the hell happened there.

If f(x) = sqrt(1+x) then surely to get an approximate value for sqrt(17) you let x = 16?
    Nah cos it said x is bigger then -1 but less then 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

No, -1<x>1.......I made the same mistake, did the whole question in the last 10 minutes :(

it said that -1<x<1. it'll be sqrt(1+16).... sqrt(16(1/16+1)........ 4sqrt(1+1/16)

x=1/16 and u multiply your answer by 4 at end

it said that -1<x<1. it'll be sqrt(1+16).... sqrt(16(1/16+1)........ 4sqrt(1+1/16)

x=1/16 and u multiply your answer by 4 at end

I couldnt remember how to do that method and I had only looked at it last night. :rolleyes: So me and the whole class ( or most ) ended up getting 233 lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pixiesticks

oh god. I hope was hopin for an A1 in maths but that was a terrible paper =(
    • I got completely bogged down in the circle question part c...wasted way too long on it
    • 2 was lovely
    • 3...ugh. forgot how to prove f(L) was a line. got m=1,0???
    • 4 was grand
    • 5...I got 8.00006 for part c...so i rounded it off to 8 and left it. ???
    • 7...(i know extra question. I didn't realise how much i'd done. honours maths and can't count...) for c I got root [(2sd1^2+3sd2^2)/5]
    • 8...took so long to cop that part b i only just got it down in time. and part c...I got lik 4piea^3/root 3???
    disaster...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Anyone thought it was much easier than paper1? Dunno why but i usually prefer paper 1.

• Advertisement

I think these are the answers for Q6 c part
    (i)1/10
    (ii)9/20
    (iii)3/20

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

(i)1/9
    (ii)4/9
    (iii)5/27

Completely different from mine!

I got:

6c(i) 1/10
    (ii) 9/20
    (iii) 1/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

(i)1/9
    (ii)4/9
    (iii)5/27
    I got:
    (i) 1/10
    (ii) 9/20
    (iii) I think 3/20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NerdPantzz

horrible. had a little cry durring the exam... quietly though, as not to disturb anyone else. There weren't six questions I felt comfortable answering. The line and circle went well, I worked hard at them but it was down hill from there. Found question 7 very hard. Hope my paper1 result will bring me to a pass or its bye bye college for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I'm hoping I scraped a pass overall.
    Did ok, not brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

NerdPantzz wrote: »
    horrible. had a little cry durring the exam... quietly though, as not to disturb anyone else. There weren't six questions I felt comfortable answering. The line and circle went well, I worked hard at them but it was down hill from there. Found question 7 very hard. Hope my paper1 result will bring me to a pass or its bye bye college for me!

:rolleyes: Crying? What course are you gunning for? All of your courses require math?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

I got:
    (i) 1/10
    (ii) 9/20
    (iii) I think 3/20

Me too. HIGH FIVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

did any1 use the tan2a formula to get the tan A/2 thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

~Candy~ wrote: »
    no i drew a right angled tringle cos we already had cos15/17. i think i got 4/15 or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

~Candy~ wrote: »

Yep. Really can't remember what answer I got though.

Advertisement