Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellington mid-July

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip down to Wellington for mid-July and looking for tips on places to stay / things to do.

Planning on a group of 10 (thereabouts) coming down from Hamilton for a weekend in mid-July. Have been in NZ for over a year now but don't get much opportunity to travel around, but have got the time off for a long weekend and want to see Welly.

We have a mini-van so we're thinking of driving down and back (long slug) as opposed to flying as it will prob work out cheaper, but don't know where to start looking for accomm/attractions/things to do.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Do you want to stay in a hostel? If so, there is a really nice one on Wakefield Street called Nomads Capital. It's really central and quite new and clean. Rooms have tvs and things and it has a bar attached to it where you can get food. Guests in the hostel get a small meal free from the bar every night. The bar also has a jaeger ski - a wooden ski with lots of jaeger shots on it, I'm dying to go back and try it!

What kind of things are you looking to do? Indoor our outdoor?

Te Papa is definitely worth a visit for a start. I'd also go on the cable car up to the Botanic gardens. It's a nice trip and the view from the top is amazing (if the weather isn't crap!). There's also a free cable car museum up there which is quite interesting for a visit.

There's lots of restaurants and places to head out if you fancy a night out as well. Just head to Cuba street or Courteney Place. There's some great Malaysian restaurants around that are quite cheap and do fab food - I'd recommend one of those for dinner (try satay kindom off cuba street or roti chenai on Victoria Street)

Any specific questions - feel free to ask!

Advertisement