Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 9 weeks old kitten?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hiya,

My boyfriend and me got a kitten 2 weeks ago! A week ago he was fine living inside but since a week hes absoutely going crazy. Hes scratching the leather seats and the legs of the chairs and tables. My boyfriend is not happy at all with that. Now we planned to buy him a little house so he can live outside...

Do you have any advice?Because we really wanted to keep him as a indoor cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Buy him a scratching post and a playhouse and spray it with catnip, he'll start to use that instead of the leather couch. Also wrap a load of cling film around the bottom of your couch, they hate that texture and he will stop going for the couch.

9 weeks is way too early to let him outside he could be killed....you have to wait until about 10 months to a year to let him out, also hes a kitten they're supposed to go nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Hiya, first thing you need to do is get a scratching post and he'll while away the hours on that playing and sharpening his claws, thats why he's at the furniture now. I've had a few kittens and cats and the posts work a treat. Secondly, your kitten is way, way too young to live outside, cats are extremely territorial and he'd be savaged, he would never be able to defend himself against a cat or any other animal at this point, not to mention he'd be absolutely terrified. I suggest getting the scratching post 1st and trying that, they are very playful and noisy little things so the other thing they love is a paper bag believe it or not! Let us know how you get on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

kitten is probably bored, get some toys, old cardboard boxes, and a scratching post. It's what cats do, all you can do is distract it with more fun things to do. you don't need to spend much. Other option is restrict access to sofa.
    My dad found putting bits of fabric and empty pillowcases on the sofa, cat tries to scratch and fabric falls in them, combined with a "NO" put his cat off within hours but you do need to keep picking up the fabric and putting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Thanks for all your help! :)
    Hes got a scratching post since he moved in with us. Hes got a ball to play, a ball on the scratching post... so hes quite entertained but he wont stop scratching the furniture.. Hes only doing it when you sit on it... so i guess he wants attention.

oh yeah and i got special pats that are sticky so he wont at least not go on the legs! But I cant use so many cuz it looks stupid even though you cant really see it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

you'll only have to leave the sticky things on for a while so don't worry if it looks stupid. It's only a little while. :)

He needs more than a post with a ball on it. Other toys might help too, a small flash light for you to get him to chase, a ball with a bell in it, socks, feathery thinks and cardboard boxes and paper bags, nothing expensive, they love crinkly things and things they can hide in.

• Advertisement

ok thanks i will do that but at the moment hes sleeping on me!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Put his scratching post beside the 'congregation' area - cats scratch to scent mark territory with scent glands in their feet, and also to stretch and exercise their feet and claws. Cats famously go for the couch because that's where everybody congregates in any household. You need to put the scratching post near the couch so he can scent mark his territory near the congregation place.

When he scratches the couch, just lift him away and place him at the scratching post. One of mine, when he was a kitten, you could lift him to the scratching post and he'd barely miss a stroke, just went straight from couch to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

You could use a water spray bottle to startle him when doing something he's not allowed. I have done this with my 1st cat and she knows not to come near the curtains and things.
    Also, before bedtime, tire him out by playing with him and making him chase stuff around for 10 min or so.
    Don't let him outside until at least he's had all his vaccinations (12 weeks I think).

Enjoy the kitten stage - they grow out of it so quickly ! :)

ValerieR

Yeah I tire him out every night and it seems to be working but he still likes the furniture! Its not really the couch! Its more the legs of table and chairs! I tr the water spray! Thanks a mill!

Advertisement