Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny: Results 'vindicate' leadership

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Full copy at http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/stories/2009/0608/electionreax.html
    Enda Kenny has claimed that the weekend election results represent a vindication of his leadership of Fine Gael.

I would say that had Dustin the turkey been FG leader that the feathered one would have been vindicated as a singer.

If he feels he is vindicated then what's changed since the last couple of general elections? Surfing the wave of anti-FF anger doesn't make for a great vindication.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Since he took over as leader FG has improved its results with each election. This isn't a flash in the pan. Kenny needed FG to hammer FF in this election and they have. Kennys weakness is his performance in the Dail, thats it as far as I can make out - and I'm not diminishing the importance of this. In pretty much all other respects he seems like a pretty good leader. Hes going to lead FG into government in the next election. What more can he do? You don't seriously expect anyone in FG to contemplate a push against him before the general election do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Whether or not I agree with his politics and that of the Fine Gael party is one thing, I just find Enda Kenny to be an absolute creep and every time I see him on television or hear him on the radio my skin crawls.

Am I alone?

Even hardcore Fine Gael people, do you actually like this man?

I think he's a worm of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ah sure Moom, hes consistently delivered results for FG as leader and clearly has some talents...but, but, but why cant he be more like Bertie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well he wasn't going to say differently was he?

He has done good work, but he needs to be gone by the next election campiagn. Richard Bruton to lead with George Lee as finance spokesman is winnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Do you know anything about him? Or are you just judging a book by its cover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You question;Is it just me or is Enda Kenny a creep?
    Answer; no,its just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

LA3G wrote: »
    I just find Enda Kenny to be an absolute creep and every time I see him on television or hear him on the radio my skin crawls.

Am I alone?

Even hardcore Fine Gael people, do you actually like this man?

I think he's a worm of a man.

Firstly, define "creep" and "worm of a man". It's impossible to answer 100% without knowing what you're asking.

As for "making your skin crawl".....I don't know what might trigger that; for example, any time Cowen, Lenihan, Dempsey or Ahern appear on TV, their arrogant and delusional / denial statements make me shout or want to throw something at them, but not skin crawl.

I wouldn't be a massive fan of Kenny's, but to answer your question as posed by the thread title I think yes - it's just you. He's done nothing to make me have that reaction anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I don't think he's a creep, he just loves the spotlight.

Funny bit of TV the other day during the Election coverage on RTE -
    George Lee was announced as getting through on the first count, and they were waiting to interview him, and Brian Dobson says, 'And surprise, surprise, Enda Kenny is there with him.'

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

it is just you ......based on the historic vote on friday, biggest in Fine Gael's history since 1922, yes very clearly you, medical help maybe? medication? district nurse intervention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose you'd rather he stuttered away in a North Dublin accent and a smile while filling his socks with ill-gotten money?

• Advertisement

coconut5 wrote: »
    I don't think he's a creep, he just loves the spotlight.

Funny bit of TV the other day during the Election coverage on RTE -
    George Lee was announced as getting through on the first count, and they were waiting to interview him, and Brian Dobson says, 'And surprise, surprise, Enda Kenny is there with him.'

Love it.
    And people give out about George Hook showing his colours while interviewing Lee and Kenny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

I don't like him either and would have a lot more time for Richard Bruton. For me anyway, he comes across as someone who doesn't say what he thinks straight off - everthing highly sanitized. For a normal person this'd probably come across as being a bit of a creep, but as the journalist Neil Stanage (who covered the Obama campaign) pointed out, this happens to a lot of politicians from a lifetime of having their words twisted by the press and other politicians to suite particular agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Could this be simply psychological projection - when a person's own unacceptable or threatening feelings are repressed and then attributed to someone else.
    Just a thought.

"Vindicate"

What a strange choice of wording but typical of EK.He's not the best man they have but they're scared to get rid of him.
    Not helping that factor is he's a real peoples person when you meet him.That part of his character doesn't come across in the media at all...just bumbeling...half said soundbytes.

FG's vote share should be up at 40% with the opportunity it has in front of it.
    EK is still the drag factor.

He SERIOUSLY needs to get rid of that trademark smirk of his that he uses at the end of every sentence.
    Does he even see himself doing it? It looks very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Voted for Fine Gael myself and have no respect left for Fianna Fail but I agree with the OP.

I just find him unlikable and lacking in charisma - I know that its his policies and his leadership that matter but the truth is charisma plays a very important role in a general election as people are asking themselves whether they can see someone as Taoiseach or not. Now that Biffo is in charge of FF it wont be as much of a problem but i personally think that he does the party no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mike65 wrote: »
    Well he wasn't going to say differently was he?

He has done good work, but he needs to be gone by the next election campiagn. Richard Bruton to lead with George Lee as finance spokesman is winnar.

Spot on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Sand wrote: »
    ...but, but, but why cant he be more like Bertie :(

Corrupt and thieving, and an all round decent skin? Ugh

RTE could have swapped Kenny's for the Late Late and no one would know any different.

I know that its his policies and his leadership that matter but the truth is charisma plays a very important role in a general election as people are asking themselves whether they can see someone as Taoiseach or not.

Well, it definitely USED to play a part, considering the bull**** campaign for the last GE was based on "Bertie's Team" (could never understand that because to me, charisma comes from being honest and straight-talking, but obviously a lot of people fell for it).

However, given the results from the weekend, it looks like people have copped themselves on, and realise that - unless you have someone who manages to have both - the preferable option is competence and honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He doesn't seem to worry about shafting his own party members, or am I being cruel? I bet Colm Burke's a bit rattled after being upstaged by the GAA man/Mrs Enda Kenny relative in Ireland South. It would seem that the most experienced person was dumped on from a great height and sacrificed. I know that FF at least does the same kind of thing, even at local council level, but FG are always trying to make out that they're different.

It smells a bit to me.:eek:

• Advertisement

Kenny might have justified his vindication had not Labour done so well out of this also. Perhaps all the non-FF party leaders should shout their vindication also.

Voted for Fine Gael myself and have no respect left for Fianna Fail but I agree with the OP.

Chances are that if it weren't for Enda Kenny and his work with FG, you wouldn't be voting for them now.

He seems a bit wooden on Tv, but in person he's a nice guy and seems to have a good sense of humour so I'd imagine a lot of what he says on tv, like thebaldsoprano said, is said in such a way as to avoid having it twisted by the press.

The two biggest protests to FG I've heard over the last while have been
    A: Enda Kenny
    and
    B: "You know Fine Gael taxed childrens shoes!!!" (No more baby Diors?)

Which I believe can simply be put down to
    A: False perceptions ; a lot of the same people probably supported B-B-B-Bertie
    and
    B: Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

I don't think he's a creep but I can see why the OP might feel he is. I think the manor in which he puts across on occassion isn't that great. Still though fine gael will more than likely get my vote next time around even if he's still leader

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

FG supporter, met Kenny a few times and I don't find anything wrong with the chap at all. Think he has great leadership quality, sound man, great personality but sadly isn't the best on TV which I guess a lot of his work would result in. However, personally, I am willing to put that aside and support Kenny because he has done wonders for the party overall (not just in the elections) and having met him I do believe he would be a very good candidate for leadership in Ireland.

I can partly understand why people are a little distant from giving Kenny the nod of approval but I would say: Consider the party as a whole and what they have to offer. FG is more then just one man, remember that. They offer great candidates locally, for Europe and nationally. Don't expect them to play all their cards prior to an election or whatever, for the simple reason you never tell the competition how you would do better as they will just do it themselves. Taking that into consideration, bare in mind that Kenny is the making of this party and while he may appear slightly "stiff" on TV he is far from it outside of the TV. Don't judge a book by its cover - so don't judge Kenny by his appearance :)

Sully-he has an awfull habit of smirking like in a smarmy way at the end of every sentence when he makes a point.
    It looks terrible.
    Someone should play video in front of him and show him.

I refuse to believe people aren't noticing it.

He needs media training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am disappointed that this thread was started, and even more disappointed that it is still running: it's personal about Enda Kenny, and not a political discussion.

Sully-he has an awfull habit of smirking like in a smarmy way at the end of every sentence when he makes a point.
    It looks terrible.

He needs media training.

Media training ? So that he can lie and twist facts while keeping a straight face ?

Give me the smirk any day....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It looks terrible.

He needs media training.

Iv covered everything like that in my post. If you think that Kenny is "smarmy" or whatever, your completely wrong. Probably one of the more honest politicans we have as leaders/possible leaders/ex leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I still reckon there is a large anti-culchie bias coming through here as well. Dubs just don't like voting for people from the country.

I'm convinced if absolutelty nothing changed other than Cowen's constituency being in Dublin rather than bogland FF wouldn't have suffered quite the same collapse they did in the capital/commuter belt.

But I don't think this is that much of an issue for FG now. Enda isn't from Dublin but since Cowen isn't either and Cowen is doing a class A job of feckin up FF elctoral prospects, most people will vote FG or Lab over FF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I am disappointed that this thread was started, and even more disappointed that it is still running: it's personal about Enda Kenny, and not a political discussion.

However, the personality of party leaders is an important factor in the electability of the party, and the thread has come up somewhat in 'political' quality since the OP. If it sinks again, this thread may move to AH without warning.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement