Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hilton - 1/2 price second room for children

• 08-06-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Our kids are getting to the age when it is not worth trying to book one hotel room and wait it out while they try to get to sleep on the sofabed or rollaway, so last weekend we booked two adjoining rooms for the first time. We had put this off for a long time because it effectively doubles the accommodation cost.

Or so we thought.

It turns out that Hilton have a global policy that a second room booked for children is only charged at half of the expected rate. Here's the wordage from their site - "Children aged 18yrs or under stay free in room with parents or grandparents; Second room for children charged at 50% of first room. Children aged 10yrs or under eat and drink for free, from the children's menu. Children aged 11yrs or over must pay for meals."

When I booked the rooms the reservation came through with the full rate quoted so I got back on to check what the story was (maybe it's only some hotels, maybe it's 50% of rackrate, etc . . .), but the agent on the phone said that it was global alright and while their booking engine couldn't handle it the individual hotels would always honour it.

I had my doubts and so triple checked when we checked in and there was no problem at the desk.

I don't know if other chains do this also, but for the moment at least Hilton will be getting more of our weekend-away-with-the-kids business than usual as it effectively makes the cost of two rooms a lot more affordable.

Of course, some other hotels may work out cheaper than a discounted Hilton room, but it's definitely worth considering.

Does anyone know of any other similar hotel deals like that for second rooms ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

We had a great stay in the Park Inn in Drogheda last weekend (bank holiday Sunday night). Our room was €69 and adjoining room for the kids was €40 (€20 per child). This was bed and breakfast. We also used the pool twice, which was really nice. Staff were absolutely teriffic and we couldnt fault anything. Ive paid an awful lot more than that in the past for shabby accomodation and rubbish food and service.

Advertisement