Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real IRA member found liable in Omagh civil suit

Options
  • 08-06-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Michael McKevitt convicted, more to follow.

IT article
    Relatives of the Omagh bomb victims today won a landmark civil action against four men they blamed for the attack in which 29 people died.

Former Real IRA leader Michael McKevitt and three other men — Liam Campbell, Colm Murphy and Seamus Daly — were found to be responsible for the bombing by a judge in a landmark civil case brought by victims’ families at Belfast High Court.

The Real IRA was also found liable for the attack in today’s ruling.

The relatives launched the action at the High Court in Belfast after the failure of the police to secure a criminal conviction over the 1998 Real IRA bombing in the Co Tyrone town.

They sued five men and the Real IRA as an organisation for up to £14 million sterling in a case which made legal history when it sat to hear evidence in both Belfast and Dublin. The case opened in April last year and completed hearing evidence in March.

Mr Justice Morgan — set to be Northern Ireland’s next Lord Chief Justice — took three months to sift through the evidence and produce his judgment that the case was proved against the four men, none of whom attended the hearings.

McKevitt is a founding member of the Real IRA who is in prison in the Republic. Co Louth farmer Campbell is in custody in Northern Ireland facing an attempt to extradite him to Lithuania to face arms smuggling charges.

Murphy, also from Louth, was found guilty in Dublin’s Special Criminal Court of conspiring to cause the Omagh bomb but his conviction was later quashed. A fifth man accused by the relatives, Seamus McKenna, was cleared today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

man who the minister for Justice did some work for in recent months?

see rte.ie :

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0119/crime.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Great news!

About time some justice was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

mike65 wrote: »

Mike, a small correction if I may. He hasn't been convicted as he wasn't being tried for a crime. He's been found liable in a civil court for damages arising out of the bombing. This means, on the balance of probabilities, that he was guilty of the Omagh bombing.

Not as good as a criminal conviction but a victory for the families nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sean@boards.ie

IT article

Do you have a point/opinion that can be discussed or are you saving poor people having to read/see the news/media/papers?

:confused:

Post Reported

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can someone change the title?

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Can someone change the title?

That would be cool.

Either [Article] or [Personal agenda/issues] would be good.

Sadly I searched mike65 on this forum.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Title edited - can we, y'know, discuss the topic now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apologies for my (delete as you see fit agenda/forgetfullness.

I put this up as I thought it was good that after so many years and so many dissapointments ordinary people could get a measure of justice through civil law.

Apologies for my (delete as you see fit agenda/forgetfullness.

I put this up as I thought it was good that after so many years and so many dissapointments ordinary people could get a measure of justice through civil law.

But you did'nt mention that in your original post? You had no "comment" or "thoughts" in your original post?

I think that you posted it because you hate all things IRA.

Oscarbrvo thanking you will not help me here but I dare you to be honest,

You hate the IRA, you have made that quite clear, and Oscar backing you up probably is of the same ilk.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I hate them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me and oB have some history ;) so him being civil with thanks is just that, being civil. :)

• Advertisement

Me and oB have some history ;) so him being civil with thanks is just that, being civil. :)

Good you have history. Pity for me :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Title edited - can we, y'know, discuss the topic now?
    *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

does anyone know, apart from the 'moral victory' for the victims and their relatives, if the ruling will have any 'teeth' so to speak? Can any assets be seized? / is the award recognised in the republic, where I understand all bar one defendant is from, or are all their assets outside of the UK untouchable? / would the Irish state in anyway assist in the enforcement of the award etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I think that you posted it because you hate all things IRA.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I hate them too.

Maybe he just hates violence and murder and is glad to see at least some justice done, regardless of who committed the atrocity ?

www.omaghbomb.co.uk

and even leave messages of goodwill for these admirable Irish people including Mr. Gallagher whose young son from Donegal was blown to pieces when he went to buy an ice cream.......

another good internet activity would be searching the good friday agreement on wiki

does anyone know, apart from the 'moral victory' for the victims and their relatives, if the ruling will have any 'teeth' so to speak? Can any assets be seized? / is the award recognised in the republic, where I understand all bar one defendant is from, or are all their assets outside of the UK untouchable? / would the Irish state in anyway assist in the enforcement of the award etc?

I believe some consequences of this process included:
    1. Keeping Misters McKevitt, Daly, Murphy and Campbell under a very usefull spot light

2. Irish Independant: 'But the fight will go on. The families still want a cross- border inquiry into what happened ...

"This is about identifying the people that were responsible, and telling the people of Northern Ireland that these people should be rejected,"

3. promoting discussions like this one so that younger irish people might come to understand why in the Good Friday agreement voted on in all 32 counties - the majority of Islanders agreed that violence has no further role in our Irish politics

4. the list is endless..but for me -point 1 is most useful, do not think for a second they are indifferent to the efforts, energy and iron in the soul of Mr. Gallagher and his stolen child

Advertisement