Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC devices not in shops?

• 08-06-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any shops that carry the HTC smart phones in Ireland. Or can you only get them on the web?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 abes216

What model of HTC You interested??? <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

You'll only find them in independent shops. Try the one in South Great Georges Street in Dublin. Some phone company own-brand models are actually HTC units.

But if you want the latest model you need to look online. Try http://www.expansys.ie/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm annoyed Vodafone Ireland haven't got the HTC Magic out yet, been promising it for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it possible to buy HTC batteries here though?
    My TyTn II battery needs replacing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I kinda wanted to pick up and play with a few of them to see if i'd like one.

• Advertisement

Most of the HTCs (maybe all so far) have come with Windows Mobile...so your first decision should be if you like using Microsoft products.

I used to have pocket pc PDA so I have no problem with that. Never had it on a phone though. Like to try the keyboard on them. Though I have no problem with the touch keyboard on my iPod touch.

User-interface design has moved on quite a bit since the introduction of Windows Mobile and even in the most recent version, WM is confused, doddery and dated when compared to the pack leader, Apple.

HTC's engineering is first rate, let down by its choice of operating system.

I'm watching out for an Android device from HTC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I installed SPB Mobile Shell on my SE Xperia (basically a HTC phone) and Windows Mobile is much more user friendly on it.
    Well worth putting on your WM phone when you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I purchased the HTC Magic from eBay, well impressed, well worth the expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm annoyed Vodafone Ireland haven't got the HTC Magic out yet, been promising it for months.

It's being released here in September/October according to the Vodafone forums.

billbond4 wrote: »
    I installed SPB Mobile Shell on my SE Xperia (basically a HTC phone) and Windows Mobile is much more user friendly on it.
    Well worth putting on your WM phone when you get it.

I've heard theres a new update (firmware I assume) that speeds up the Xperia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzLETB4jt8&annotation_id=annotation_970258&feature=iv

I was thinking of one of them. Decent spec but not sure about the keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

User-interface design has moved on quite a bit since the introduction of Windows Mobile and even in the most recent version, WM is confused, doddery and dated when compared to the pack leader, Apple.

HTC's engineering is first rate, let down by its choice of operating system.

I'm watching out for an Android device from HTC.

Actually I'll take Windows Mobile any day before Apple - which btw, is certainly not the pack leader in Mobiles/PDA :)

Couple of differentiators for me: most obvious is personal bias due to familiarisation (I've been using WM for years), sync with MS Office products (files/notes/cal/email), multitasking, and having copy and paste before the epoch ;)

However, the reason I'm really interested in HTC Magic is a) superb hardware, it'll be my 4th HTC, and b) Android 2 -- really looking forward to it.

But don't dis WM too much, it has been a stalwart for many of us :)

User-interface design has moved on quite a bit since the introduction of Windows Mobile and even in the most recent version, WM is confused, doddery and dated when compared to the pack leader, Apple. ....

Thats true to some extent. I do like the GUI on the touch. But for PDA like functionality the calendar on the touch/iphone out of the box is weak and if you use 3rd party calendars scheduling apps, they can't give you on screen alarms or a today screen unless you've a jail broken device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

o2 have several Htc devices with their own XDA branding. The Orbit, and XDA Exec to name but two of them.
    Slightly off topic, does anyone on this forum using HTC devices have trouble with teh TouchFlo 3D ? I have both an o2 Xda orbit 2 and a TytnII both with TouchFlo installed but I can't get the 3D element of it to work.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread op.... the TouchFlo was a big selling point for me and I feel kind of cheated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tallus wrote: »
    o2 have several Htc devices with their own XDA branding. The Orbit, and XDA Exec to name but two of them.
    Slightly off topic, does anyone on this forum using HTC devices have trouble with teh TouchFlo 3D ? I have both an o2 Xda orbit 2 and a TytnII both with TouchFlo installed but I can't get the 3D element of it to work.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread op.... the TouchFlo was a big selling point for me and I feel kind of cheated now.

Neither the Orbit 2 or the TyTn II support TouchFlo 3D, only the 2D version.

testicle wrote: »
    Neither the Orbit 2 or the TyTn II support TouchFlo 3D, only the 2D version.

Cheers testicle. Disappointing heh... it was one of the reasons I went for the HTC. More research needed in the future, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm pretty sure i read that you can get 3D using some of the cooked roms on the TyTn II no?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i read that you can get 3D using some of the cooked roms on the TyTn II no?

I downloaded and installed the 3D touchflo on the TYTNII last night and it's working fine, but the Obrit2 doesn't like the file.
    Still.. I'm happy to have it up and running on the TYTNII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

BostonB wrote: »
    I've heard theres a new update (firmware I assume) that speeds up the Xperia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzLETB4jt8&annotation_id=annotation_970258&feature=iv

I was thinking of one of them. Decent spec but not sure about the keyboard.
    Yeah I installed the R3AA010 version on Sunday, and installed the Apps again, SPB mobile shell, makes the transitions from portrait to landscape better now, and the phone does run smoother.
    Had no problems since the firmware update, but then again had no problems before update either.
    I Think SPB Mobile shell is as good as Touch Flow 3D, but I havent used TouchFlo3D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Bumped!

Anyone else know of any stores to buy in Dublin?

Now that the iPhone 3GS is out I would like to see a few HTC models in my hand before purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

i tried that shop on georges st but they only had the HTC diamond in, ended up getting the magic off ebay, gotta wait on it to arrive now

Advertisement