Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird one...

Options
  • 08-06-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you remember, but I picked up a stray Jack Russell a ages ago. The dog was thin, no collar, no chip... She was obviously dumped. Well, after weeks of posters, post on various websites, phonecalls to most of the vets in the area nobody claimed the dog and we got her a really good home. This was months ago.

Well, a few days ago I get a call from some fella demanding his dog back! He saw a poster in the Garda station. He reckoned the dog was worth thousands! He went on to ask me "how much" I got for the dog too! Weirdest phone call ever. He was fairly aggressive and when I asked him how she got so thin he hung up. I reckon he is some sort of chancer trying to make some money. I would love to know what he was doing in the Garda station in the first place!!

I'd say the people that run the shelters have some stories! Care to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Sounds to me like the dog you found had somehow got away from a not-very-reputable-breeding-premises and the farmer is not happy he's lost one of his breeding bitches.
    Lucky escape for that dog.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I never actually thought of that, I just thought your man was a chancer looking for a quick buck, after someone in the pub mentioned the price of dogs...

You could be right of course. This was pretty near Dublin city though, would there be puppy farms there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Puppy farms everywhere, I'm afraid. Even the term puppy "farm" romanticises it- should be called puppy factories.

Lightening, it could be another form of scam where someone seems from posters that you'd had the stray for a while and probably attached it to. By ringing and saying he owns this expensive dog, he could be hoping that you'll apologise and offer to compensate him in return for the pooch. A guy tried this on a friend of mine before. Rang to say the dog was his and very expensive, came to collect and suddenly had this story about how he could see my friend had grown very attached and given the dog a lovely home and he'd let the dog go for a reduced price.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

00112984 wrote: »
    A guy tried this on a friend of mine before. Rang to say the dog was his and very expensive, came to collect and suddenly had this story about how he could see my friend had grown very attached and given the dog a lovely home and he'd let the dog go for a reduced price.
    Jeez, is there no limit to the depths some people will sink to make a few quid?!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Bit of a similar situation,

My boss (whos a volenteer for the local SPCA) found a dog on her front lawn one morn, had him for ages, he was a lab collie cross, she found a home for him and the lady was taken him at christmas for her kids, lady took the dog few days before xmas, they all fell in love as ya do, couldnt get over how amazing the dog was, thought it was too good to be true to get such a wonderful dog... then the owner came looking for the dog (must have been two months or more) and insisted on taking the dog back sed he was looking for him for ages (there was posters up all over the village)

Luckly that same family got another stray a few days later so it was kind of a happy ending.

• Advertisement

Jeez, is there no limit to the depths some people will sink to make a few quid?!!!:mad:

None.

Sadly, dogs seem to be the easiest target for certain pet scams. I guess because there are so many around and dog owners get very attached. Plus, they're pretty "upwardly mobile" as targets and are easy to lift into a carboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

God I hate people sometimes. Chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

This happened to me also. found a stray Lurcher one night and took him home. I got him into a shelter and he subsequently went to England. I had put notices up and informed all the local garda stations. About 2 months later, what I can only describe as "undesirables" started ringing me saying they had looked everywhere for their dog! When I told them he had found a new home, cue them threating to kill me and burn down my house etc... It went on for about 1 week before they stopped:(

This happened to me also. found a stray Lurcher one night and took him home. I got him into a shelter and he subsequently went to England. I had put notices up and informed all the local garda stations. About 2 months later, what I can only describe as "undesirables" started ringing me saying they had looked everywhere for their dog! When I told them he had found a new home, cue them threating to kill me and burn down my house etc... It went on for about 1 week before they stopped:(

That's really sad to hear as scumbags carrying on like that will discourage honest people from putting up "found" signs in the future :(

Advertisement