Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent Mortgage Advisors

Options
  • 08-06-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im just wondering if anyone could recommend a good independent mortgage advisor in the Sligo area.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hi everyone,

Im just wondering if anyone could recommend a good independent mortgage advisor in the Sligo area.

Thanks a million

I'd steer well clear of them.. the term "independant" is a bit of an oxymoron for them as they work on a commision basis (paid by the banks).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

my friend used Osullivan Mc Goldrick. I think her name is Josie. Knows her stuff and will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Enda Brady, Independent Mortgage Company, office located in Quayside Shopping Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Culchie wrote: »
    Enda Brady, Independent Mortgage Company, office located in Quayside Shopping Centre

seconded...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

i always dealt with oates breheny- found them very straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'd steer well clear of them.. the term "independant" is a bit of an oxymoron for them as they work on a commision basis (paid by the banks).

I'd say he means independent as in "not tied" to any particular bank.

Of course they're paid commission. Independent does not mean they work for free.

I would definitely recommend Oates whatever they are crowd down on the Riverside there. Sister had only good to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I used Coyle & Kenny for my mortgage. They were very good and got me a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MikeySligo wrote: »
    I'd say he means independent as in "not tied" to any particular bank.

Of course they're paid commission. Independent does not mean they work for free.

I know what he meant, but I still wouldn't use a broker - I know a few people who got screwed by brokers who recommended fixed rate mortgages when interest rates were higher - and at the time, never mentioned anything about the huge penalties the banks would charge if they wanted to switch to a variable rate.

Ok, so they don't make the rules, but they should at least know them & let their customers aware of them. As the banks pay their fees & not the public, there is no onus or incentive for them to look after anyone but No.1.

My advice is, go to all the banks & building societies & get all the details for yourself, then make up your own mind. There's also tonnes of info in the net regarding the different types of mortgages available.

Advertisement