Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers for Sept

Options
  • 08-06-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, I'm getting married in Sept and would like to grow my own flowers. I know I'm a tad late, but there might be something I can do? I was thinking something like gerbera daisies, red or orange, something bright and striking (Black BM dresses), but I think that I'm too late to plant them, and they would prob be wilted by mid-Sept anyway. Any suggestions as to what I could do? I have a relatively good amount of space,

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

Hiya,

This isn't gardening advice but more advice of someone who got married - don't do it - you have enough to be worrying about without growing your own flowers. I would also say that by Sept most garden flowers are not at the very very best so won't look the best in photos.

Also, to get enough of anything you'd need to grow an awful lot and regulating to get enough in bloom at the same time and the right size for bouquest is actually quite an art - if you're a novice I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you are really determined you could have something quite rustic then things like dahlias, Echinacea purpurea, rudebeckia, will still be flowering in Sept (if you're not in an exposed site) and could look quite pretty. You can pick these up at the garden centre quite easily. There are lots of different dahlias - go for one with a long stem like Bishop of Llandaff which also had blackish foliage and it would be very striking with black BM dresses.

Gerbera are fairly pernickity - and they wilt very quickly and you'd need to wire the stems as well for a bouquet and that would be quite time consuming on the day........

Best of luck and enjoy!!!!!!!

Advertisement