Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from Vodafone

• 08-06-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I got a letter from Vodafone last week saying that they've automatically moved me to Vodafone Connect Abroad Daily package that offers cheaper browsing abroad.

It's €14.58 a day! So if I check one page on my hols I'll be charged that. Unbelievable carry on from Vodafone. Just rang up and cancelled the package.

Anyone else get this letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

Your dead right to cancel the package. Thats sly carry on from vodafone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I got one and I had already moved off the tariff before by ringing up as its set up as default on most accounts. I'm just thinking now, that number is in Spain ATM. They better not have reverted it back to the Vodafone Connect Abroad or they'll have a nice phonecall when the phonebill comes in. I'll check online now but I doubt it has the up to date calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I got this last Friday week. Rang them up last Thursday and told them I do not want this. She said ok no problem it will come off on your next bill.
    Told her I was going to Germany this week and I want to use Internet and email and do not want to be charged the €14 whatever. She said I would be charged that.
    Had to pratically beg her to do something for me which she did finally after putting me on hold for 15 mins.

Its not good at all, they can't just randomally add a package to your phone.
    She said everyone was switched it and not just me.

And I don't think its that cheap if the offer the 99c per day for 50MB thingy.

Hang on.
    I got this letter too.
    I hardly looked at it before putting it in the bin.

Are you saying my bill is going to go up €14+ a month regardless even when not roaming?

I don't want this so must I ring them to take it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

You have to ask them to take it off. I just did so and gave them an ear full. Asked for a letter from management explaining why they decided to change my account without my approval.
    Hang on.
    I got this letter too.

Are you saying my bill is going to go up €14+ a month regardless even when not roaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Apparently, a €360 per month (assuming you stick with the daily plan) data charge is "great value" and will prevent you from "returning home to the surprise of a big bill!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hang on.
    I got this letter too.

Got the letter too. I had assumed it meant If I go online while abroad using the vodafone ISP I would be charged €14 for up to 50Mb instead of the €5 a MB they usually charge without it. If they add it on regardless there will be murder when I get my next bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hang on.
    I got this letter too.

No but if you access the net once in a day while you are out of the country you will be charged €14.58!

Shocking really. If O2 get the Palm Pre, I'll be switching.

• Advertisement

If you roam and connect to the net you WILL be charged 14.58 every day you connect, instead of the current 99 cent per day. I had a lovely screaming match with them. Was not/am not very happy.
    dubmick wrote: »
    No but if you access the net once in a day while you are out of the country you will be charged €14.58!

Shocking really. If O2 get the Palm Pre, I'll be switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

dubmick wrote: »
    I got a letter from Vodafone last week saying that they've automatically moved me to Vodafone Connect Abroad Daily package that offers cheaper browsing abroad.

It's €14.58 a day! So if I check one page on my hols I'll be charged that. Unbelievable carry on from Vodafone. Just rang up and cancelled the package.

Anyone else get this letter?

Didn't get that letter but have a similar scenario, they doubled my monthly bill because they thought "it would be financially better for me" and went ahead without my permission and only when i rang up did i get a refund,

There getting very cheeky IMO!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Smcgie wrote: »
    Didn't get that letter but have a similar scenario, they doubled my monthly bill because they thought "it would be financially better for me" and went ahead without my permission and only when i rang up did i get a refund,

There getting very cheeky IMO!:mad:

Saw your thread elsewhere. You weren't staying within the Terms and Conditions but they should've contacted you instead of upping your tariff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

elderlemon wrote: »
    If you roam and connect to the net you WILL be charged 14.58 every day you connect, instead of the current 99 cent per day. I had a lovely screaming match with them. Was not/am not very happy.

The 99cent deal is for the 'Live' apn where the connect abroad daily and monthly is for the the other apn's, vodafone.isp and the 'Hs' which is for HSDPA. Its a totally different type of service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Davy wrote: »
    The 99cent deal is for the 'Live' apn where the connect abroad daily and monthly is for the the other apn's, vodafone.isp and the 'Hs' which is for HSDPA. Its a totally different type of service.

So, I have the 1GB "ISP" add-on at the moment. Going to Spain for 3 weeks in July, so should I get the "live" add on then? Can I still get POP mail using "Live"?

whiterebel wrote: »
    So, I have the 1GB "ISP" add-on at the moment. Going to Spain for 3 weeks in July, so should I get the "live" add on then? Can I still get POP mail using "Live"?

Well for the 99cent a day its not an add on, its only charged the days you use it. The email should be fine, just make sure that any connection is using live.vodafone.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Connect abroad daily has been added to customers mobile broadband and data packages to orevent bill shock when they return from hols etc.
    Their roaming rate is €5 per MB without it so TBH, which would you rather?? €14 odd or a bill for a few hundred??
    I have heard of bills coming in in their thousands in the past where users did not check the rate before they went away and used their laptop etc as usual (downloading files etc).

scubagit wrote: »
    Connect abroad daily has been added to customers mobile broadband and data packages to orevent bill shock when they return from hols etc.
    Their roaming rate is €5 per MB without it so TBH, which would you rather?? €14 odd or a bill for a few hundred??
    I have heard of bills coming in in their thousands in the past where users did not check the rate before they went away and used their laptop etc as usual (downloading files etc).

Well the cap on data is on the way, €1 per MB EU wide. I think the calls are coming from july 1st but i cant remember if the data is starting from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

I don't think the live apn allows POP mail access, just web browsing afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

i'm confused by all this! i was in bulgaria last year & sent a few emails using vodafone live & it cost me nothing. (500mb add on, bill pay customer). are u saying now that if i did the same i'd be charged €14 a day!!!? thnks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It is all rather confusing unfortunately.

If you are using the access point (apn) live.vodafone.com, roaming usage charges the same as domestic usage.
    This was introduced a while back when the service was rebranded as "mobile internet" and it does offer very good value.

However as most here are aware the live.vodafone.com apn is restricted to browsing the web... so using POP etc wont work. But its still not bad.

The other access points are however a different matter.
    Access points like isp.vodafone.com / hs.vodafone.com / office.vodafone.com
    charge at a rate of around €5 per MB when abroad.
    The Connect Abroad package is designed to accomodate the users of these apns.

The €14 covers up to 50MB of usage per 24hr period.
    Therefore the modem/netbook user or smartphone user will get value from this.
    However if you've connected to the BBC site to check a footy score on your E51 the small amount of data transfered doesnt make this cost effective.

If you are abroad and wish to use the above apn's but dont feel you will be using it much then I would opt out of connect abroad.
    Otherwise its quite good value.

hope this helps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

scubagit wrote: »

And whats to prevent "Billshock" of seeing €14/month for something you didn't ask for. They've some nerve pulling this, must send an email off the the Regulator and see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

And whats to prevent "Billshock" of seeing €14/month for something you didn't ask for. They've some nerve pulling this, must send an email off the the Regulator and see what they think.

Their intentions are genuine though I do agree they should not opt someone in without prior consent.

"Bill shock" has become a very big issue for all the operators.
    The vast majority of end users aren't clued into the pricing structures when they go abroad especially for data services.

The increased market importance of the mobile broadband devices means has resulted in very large 'goodwill' credits being applied to angry customers who for example use 5GB of data while in the US etc.

Its understandable that they want to try to reduce these.
    But again as I said already they should explain this to their customers better, I reckon if they do the customer would be more receptive.

Plus, connect abroad daily isnt a fixed charge. Its only chargable when used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

...delete

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Is this all for the vodafone dongle you stick on your laptop? I was concerned and confused there for a minute. It doesn't have to do with accessing the internet on phones, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

marymc wrote: »
    Is this all for the vodafone dongle you stick on your laptop? I was concerned and confused there for a minute. It doesn't have to do with accessing the internet on phones, does it?
    No it applies to mobile phones (or dongles for that matter) where the access point (APN) used to access the internet is isp.vodafone.com , hs.vodafone.com or office.vodafone.com which wont be the case if you just browse the internet using the 'vodafone live' links on your phone.

• Advertisement

the rep I spoke to on the phone indicated otherwise. Because I have the 1GB add on , if I connect to the net while roaming, even to the live.vodafone.com access point, then I will get charged the ~€15 for each day that I connect.

Then again the rep could be wrong. Think I might call him back and look for a clarification.
    v10 wrote: »
    No it applies to mobile phones (or dongles for that matter) where the access point (APN) used to access the internet is isp.vodafone.com , hs.vodafone.com or office.vodafone.com which wont be the case if you just browse the internet using the 'vodafone live' links on your phone.

Advertisement