Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can i buy a factory horse

Options
  • 08-06-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Would love to buy a factory horse and keep him at home and baby him, any know how to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You'd want to be very sure of why the horse is being sent to the factory, it could be that he was a real "wrong 'un" ie dangerous to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Not being sure as to why you would want a factory horse, but factory horses are generally that, factory horses, for a good reason (vast majority of the time here anyway) and are well to be avoided.
    If you are looking for a horse to care for, rehabilitate etc you could try the ISPCA for example, they always have horses for fostering. As regards the factory horse, I'd stay clear, you could end up buying trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

At any horse sales you will see animals that are being bought for factory.
    Generally, they are as someone else put it "wrong uns".
    You'll see plenty going for 0-€500 and there is a fair chance that the next stop is the factory for them.
    Also, many thoroughbred fillies will be heading for the factory this year. We've a lot of poorly bred animals in the country at the moment that will not go into training. By poorly bred I mean they have few winners in their pedigree.
    We went mad breeding when times were good but now with the financial downturn many of them wont be sold for racing.
    They could be perfectly sound but thoroughbreds are generally more difficult to look after. They need more care during the winter and are a fair bit sharper in temperment than other breeds.
    You could get in touch with trainers who will have horses that do not make the grade. A few hundred euro would buy them.
    The irish field will have the names and numbers of trainers that are local to you.
    If however, you are not an experienced rider I would avoid it.
    I keep thoroughbreds myself for breeding and racing but wouldnt have the skill or nerve to ride them even after years of lessons and riding halfbreds and draught animals. Most of them need a lot of schooling for general riding.
    The IHWT have always got some lovely stock that have had a rough life of neglect or abuse. They will really try to find a horse that matches you and will let you give it back if things dont work out. www.ihwt.ie
    Anyway,
    The very best of luck whatever you do.
    P.S. stay away from the marts as the horsedealers can see keen well meaning people coming a mile away and you'll have no comeback if you make a wrong decision

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i would take a well educated person with me who is used to marts, we just want to rescue one, put it in a field as a companion, and watch it live its life out.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Sligome wrote: »
    i would take a well educated person with me who is used to marts, we just want to rescue one, put it in a field as a companion, and watch it live its life out.

Ah right...You'll be spoilt for choice so.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

agree with eddie12 here you will get one from a rescue centre or either i have heard of stories of some TBS being let off on mount lenister to fend for themselves now i dont know what truth is in this but good luck you will find many a horse who will gladly live its life out in a field!!

Advertisement