Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Tolos RIP

• 08-06-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Just found out that the the Golden Greek, John Tolos passed away on the 28th May from kidney failure aged 78.

Best known to our generation for being the manager of the Beverly Brothers as "Coach", he also managed Mr. Perfect when he dropped the IC title in Summerslam 91; he also briefly managed Cactus Jack and Bob Orton in the UWF in 1991. Tolos was a former WWWF tag team champion with his real life brother Chris as the Canadian Wrecking Crew, he also won numerous NWA regional tag titles with his brother and with Mr Saito, Chavo Guerro, Steve Di Salvo and Gene Kiniski. Tolos was renowned as one of the best talkers in the trade in spite of being less that stellar in ring; he even won a Cauliflower Alley club Golden Potato award in 2004!

He hadn't been well for time and had suffered several heart attacks and strokes in recent years.

Rest in Peace, John.

JR61.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I remember this guy. Sadly a lot of people will only remember him for the big punch he took from Bret Hart that knocked him off the apron at Summerslam.

John Tolos: 1930-2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

RIP. Read some classic stories about him from the sixties and seventies during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I remember briefly reading some stuff about his managerial career.RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Probably my earliest wrestling memory is of the coach and Perfect cutting a backstage promo. Wish I knew a tiny bit more about the guy. Always wondered where he ended up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The obituary in the Observer is insane. It's the size of a book, all of it really interesting

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fozzy wrote: »
    The obituary in the Observer is insane. It's the size of a book, all of it really interesting

RIP

Fascinating wasn't it? I really have to get my hands on Meltzer's Tributes books, I hear they're savage altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Fascinating wasn't it? I really have to get my hands on Meltzer's Tributes books, I hear they're savage altogether.

It's kind of unfortunate that his best writing comes when someone dies. He says that he just feels a lot of pressure to get it all done out of respect for whoever died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

Always sad to hear this news. RIP John

Advertisement