Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flash on ubuntu

• 08-06-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭

hello

i'm new to ubuntu (9.04) and can not get flash to work in firefox

i have downloaded the restricted plugins with still no joy

can anybody help me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Download it from here:
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Use Linux Mint :) It's a Ubuntu Spin off that includes Flash and many media codecs! I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

TDOie wrote: »
    Use Linux Mint :) It's a Ubuntu Spin off that includes Flash and many media codecs! I love it :D

That's a bit drastic just to get flash working, even though I agree Mint is a great distro, but to re-install an entire OS?

I would recommend that the OP install the restricted extras package:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

That's a bit drastic just to get flash working, even though I agree Mint is a great distro, but to re-install an entire OS?

I would recommend that the OP install the restricted extras package:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

i have installed the restricted extras still with no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Are you using the 64-bit version? If so - that's the problem. There are major issues with Flash on AMD64 versions of Linux due to no AMD64 version being written.

I just came across a script to install it but I haven't verified if it works or not.
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/install-flash-10-ubuntu-linux-64bit.html

[edit]Just had a look at the script and it should work. It just removes flash and dependencies and installs nspluginwrapper which allows you to install plugins written for a different architecture. You could adapt the script easily to get Flash 9 instead of 10 if you so desire.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I used that script, it works great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Im a ubuntu noob too.

Im just wondering if anyone can help...
    I installed the flash player that was in the restricted codec pack but it doesnt seem to be working right..

Whenever i try to watch a youtube or play a flash game it stutters and freezes.
    Its not my connection because even when I let the video buffer to the end it still stutters...A bit like a scratched dvd!

I wonder if its got anything to do with the fact that i didnt install the adobe flash player, But the restricted pack one

Any ideas?

Hi, maybe this will help:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash

it shows how to get the one from the adobe site. Make sure you remove the old flash first:
    sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree

Better still use, the script mentioned further up this page.

Thanks for the help..

Sorted it out by in installing Linux Mint instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

moved from ubuntu to mint back in mint v5 andhaven't looked back, it's head and shoulders above ubuntu in the usability stakes and imho will quite often make the difference between a n00b sticking with linux and giving up.

i hated all the messing around i had to do to get ubuntu to the point whre it was working the way i wanted it to, but for the most part where ubuntu is nothing but a major headache filled with endless googling for fixes to simple tasks and copy/pasting dozens of terminal commands and keeping fingers crossed, mint "just works" right out of the box and the recent release of mint 7 has improved again on what was already a stellar product.

also worth noting that if you have a fancy keyboard and mouse like one of the decent ms or logitech ones with extra buttons and functionality, http://www.hidpoint.com/ have just released their latest build today which includes support fo mint 7 so you can have all the functionality of your uber keyboard and mouse in mint too (ubuntu 9.04 spport is already there). :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Mint does have something that Ubuntu doesn't, the medibuntu repository. Go to www.medibuntu.org to add everything that Ubuntu doesn't include.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

would be nice if there was a handy list somewhere of what was legal so you could just enter your country and get the stuff that applies to you

software patents suck

All is legal except for encrypted dvd playback

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galen wrote: »
    All is legal except for encrypted dvd playback
    Don't get me started
    I recently took two old DVD players to the recycling centre , not the first time either , have two others that stick , one with a missing remote control , have several PC's that were shipped with DVD playback software

goddammit I've payed the DVD playback royalty so many times already and still they want more :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

what really annoys me is thinking that the DVD players might have been more reliable if they hadn't to pay for the royalty

For stuff like this they should charge the producer of the content , that could encourage open source

/RANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Galen wrote: »
    Mint does have something that Ubuntu doesn't, the medibuntu repository. Go to www.medibuntu.org to add everything that Ubuntu doesn't include.

You mean by default - medibuntu is available for Ubuntu. You just need to activate it.

I haven't activated the medibuntu repos because I haven't felt the need. Just installing ubuntu-restricted-extras contains everything I need for video/audio playback. I tried Mint once on the laptop and just plain didn't like it. Ended up back with Ubuntu for a while - now have Qimo on it for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Does anyone else get pink artifacts (i.e. little pink/purple specks that appear and dissapear) during playback of adobe flash in xubuntu?

Hi Macros42, Ubuntu doesn't come with with the medibuntu settings like it does with Mint. You have to add it's address and key but that can be easily done in terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I seem to have hijacked this thread with my praise of Linux Mint :pac:

TDOie wrote: »
    I seem to have hijacked this thread with my praise of Linux Mint :pac:

And I encouraged you...By mentioning it

A week with mint now and im loving it!! :D

Advertisement