Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Studio Max

Options
  • 08-06-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine is getting me 3D studio max so I can teach myself at home. This is only one of a number of things I am doing to get a start in the animation industry.
    He wants to know what version I want.
    Since I don't have a clue - can anyone (particularly from the animation industry) advise me on this?

Thanks a mil!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

just check the autodesk site for current version. you should download a trial.
    Very very hard to learn by yourself i'd say. I was taught a bit by an expert and still found it very difficult to get my head around. Could create a fairly convincing biro by the end of it mind you!
    What a generous friend btw! it ain't cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SWEETCAN2000

just check the autodesk site for current version. you should download a trial.
    Very very hard to learn by yourself i'd say. I was taught a bit by an expert and still found it very difficult to get my head around. Could create a fairly convincing biro by the end of it mind you!
    What a generous friend btw! it ain't cheap!

Thanks for that! Yes another friend told me she studied it full time and found it difficult. Ah well I won't know till I try and I am determined to do this.
    Re the generous friend - tell me about it! I'll have to get him a really nice gift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Id go for 9 or else 2009. There is a 2010 version available with some nice new features but since you're going down the self tuition route (the same as I did) theres a lot more resources out there for version 9 or else the 2009 version. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SWEETCAN2000

Splinters wrote: »
    Id go for 9 or else 2009. There is a 2010 version available with some nice new features but since you're going down the self tuition route (the same as I did) theres a lot more resources out there for version 9 or else the 2009 version. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for your advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks for that! Yes another friend told me she studied it full time and found it difficult. Ah well I won't know till I try and I am determined to do this.
    Re the generous friend - tell me about it! I'll have to get him a really nice gift :D

You should look at Lynda.com tutorials on 3d max to get you started.

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=625

3d stuff is a tough learning curve if your a total beginner. But once you get over the curve you should be able to create some amazing stuff. I found the Lynda.com series excellent. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i work off the 2008 version and to be honest its not the worst program in the world to tackle. Once you get your head around the basic theory/idea behind it that you are dealing with the elusive axis of depth (X,Y and now also Z) you will be grand. Keep an eye on your various viewports and learn as many keyboard shortcuts as you can... they are my tips. The animation technique involved at a primary level is key frame animation, similiar to flash and other 2d animation packages. But get comfortable modeling before you even think about animation...
    best of luck with and practice practice practice..

Advertisement