Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighters fire risk?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

We have downlighters all over our house, but noticed while in the attic that the insulation has not been pulled back from the lights.

Is this a fire risk?

And I have to peel back the insulation for these areas lots of cold air will find its way into the house though the downlighter holes, the bedroom alone has 12 of them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

yea it is a fire risk nthing should be on them or close too them are they GU10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Yes, they are GU-10. Do I simply pull back the insulation? is there another solution as that will play havoc with the insulation on the room, seems like a bit of a design flaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Installation flaw unfortunately!

With that many you should consider replacing them with new LED lamps
    Use about 3 watts as opposed to 50 watts
    You would save a lot on your electricity bill, also these lamps are cool running and don't get anywhere near as hot.

Post in the lecky area and you will get spec to ask for and pro advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

Yes it is a fire hazard. I am just after changing my down lighters to 2W Ecopal superbrite leds. They are a direct replacement to a 50W halogen and are cold to touch so you can leave your insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

You could try these get your seal back and insulation can run over them.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html

-Coley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I had this quandary about ten years ago when installing downlighters (the old 12V, very hot ones) I got some empty baby food large SMA tins and put them upside down over the downlighters, glued down with mastic, cable entry via a drilled hole, sharp edges protected with a rubber grommet. Insulation on top - going fine since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

jpfahy wrote: »
    I had this quandary about ten years ago when installing downlighters (the old 12V, very hot ones) I got some empty baby food large SMA tins and put them upside down over the downlighters, glued down with mastic, cable entry via a drilled hole, sharp edges protected with a rubber grommet. Insulation on top - going fine since!

I would have thought a tin would just insulate the heat? But the proof is in the pudding, 10 years and your house hasn't burnt down! Good suggestion.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you mean they would conduct the heat? They would, but I'd say they would spread the heat rather than concentrating it all in one place. They wouldn't be in direct contact with the hot bulb.

I have seen clay flowerpots suggested as well. I have not any of these.

Clearly, you should take no risks when it comes to fire.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Closing cross posted thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement