Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Splashproofing/waterproofing a DSLR - any suggestions?

• 08-06-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm going on a sailing trip in September, and was wondering whether anyone would have any suggestions when it comes to protecting a Dslr from the spray water (and the rain, probably)?
    I saw this http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/waterproof-slr-case-br-code-455-1411-0.html but have found quite contradicting reviews, ranging from 'brilliant' to 'piece of ****', so I'm not sure what to think.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

What camera model do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Nforce wrote: »
    What camera model do you have?

Sorry, should have mentioned that... :o
    I have a Nikon D300 and a 18-200 mm lens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

:eek:
    umm... ok! Thanks, but no thanks, I'm afraid :pac:

Any suggestions that don't cost quite as much? I'm not planning on going diving with the cam. I'll be sailing, and there will be water splashing up.
    I think a housing might be a bit ott for that, no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sea water is nasty... em ya can get waterproof bag sorta things

• Advertisement

sea water is nasty... em ya can get waterproof bag sorta things
    Is sea water THAT nasty that a bag thingie won't do the job?
    I mean, yes, I see the point that a bag yoke is never going to be as good as a housing. That's obvious.
    The thing is, I'm not sure if spending that kind of money on something I'd use once a year, if that, is worth it? :confused: Better than a destroyed camera, for sure, but... meh.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Isn't the D300 splashproof already? I'd be just a concerned anout the lens,though

Nforce wrote: »
    Isn't the D300 splashproof already? I'd be just a concerned anout the lens,though
    I guess that depends on the amount of water... (and sea water at that)?
    Probably best to go down the safe route of keeping the cam below deck and stowed away in heavy seas/high wind situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

like everything to do with photography - if you want the correct/best option - you have to pay for it.

you could just get a couple of clear plastic ziplock bags and some sellotape to give you an airtight layer which would "protect" from the splashes.
    (not guaranteeing that it will protect 100% but should cover you for some splashes...make sure you have sellotaped it properly)

Sea water is the devils spawn (for photographers) same as diesel is the devils spawn for car enthusiasts (ie. Clarkson, Hamster and Captn Slow)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The D300 is supposed to be Splash Proof. I have had mine in quite a bit of spray from Storm Waves breaking on a shore where it got damp survived. It had the 18-200 on it at the time too. I just made sure to dry it well & wipe off the salt spray with a damp cloth as soon as possible.

You can get these RainSleeves which do keep some water off but can also be a bit of a pain to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

get the new canon powershot - it's waterproof , shockproof and a great digital by all accounts for around €450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I have used both the rain sleeves (Mentioned above) and the Aqautech rain covers while shooting the Volvo ocean race in the last 10 days in Galway.
    On the fine day with no rain or waves I was just about to loose the rain sleeve as it can be cumbersome when two other boats passed and drenched us -rain cover and smile in place! On the second day out I went with the professional Aquatech which was a big improvement and boy was I glad,as I had borrowed a much more expensive camera.
    My Advice: Everybody should have a pack of the rainsleeves in their bag for the sake of €10 and if you do a lot of shooting where water (rain) is an issue consider an Aquatech cover. http://barkerphotographic.ie/aquatech.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My Advice: Everybody should have a pack of the rainsleeves in their bag for the sake of €10 and if you do a lot of shooting where water (rain) is an issue consider an Aquatech cover. http://barkerphotographic.ie/aquatech.htm
    Anyone know if there is a similiar cover to the aquatech for Pentax K-m SLR's ?? I'm looking for something reusable and cheap to keep rain from the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Only saw a photographer at the Dublin Meath match at the weekend with one of them on, obviously it was just in case as it didn't rain in the end but they don't look too bad either.

That Aquatech cover does look interesting. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would be surprised if the Aquapac fitted your DSLR with a 200mm. I use a lot of Aquapac products and their water proofing is excellent. For the DSLR case, it's difficult to manouevre a zoom in them so to be honest, I wouldn't think it suits your case and it's possible your zoom may be too big anyway.

I don't know what the splash proofing on a D300 is, so cannot comment on that:

Where seawater splashing is concerned you can be lucky or unlucky. I soaked a Canon 350D several times. It is still working. I got some significantly fewer splashes on a Canon 40D last November. It is dead.

If you are sailing the Aquatech might be more than adequate. I am not sure I would use it so much for a lot of the kitesurf stuff but it looks quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

As mentioned, the RainSleaves are an essential accessory for anyone... I used one out at the Skelligs this weekend and it proved invaluable when we got soaked on the way back (but I still wanted to keep shooting). They have a small hole which allows you to use the viewfinder properly.

Although they're priced as disposable items, they last a good while and it really just depends on how stretched/torn the viewfinder hole gets.

Calina wrote: »
    I would be surprised if the Aquapac fitted your DSLR with a 200mm. I use a lot of Aquapac products and their water proofing is excellent. For the DSLR case, it's difficult to manouevre a zoom in them so to be honest, I wouldn't think it suits your case and it's possible your zoom may be too big anyway.

The lens I have isn't really that big, it's 18-200, I don't expect to use it at full zoom when the cam would be in, say, something similar to the Aquapac. So that might just work... But you're right, apparently any zooming at all is difficult with those cases. :(

Looking at the Aquatech cover, that might have to be the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Advertisement