Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please - Beagle Puppy Wanted

Options
  • 08-06-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

OKay just looking for advice from anyone. I am getting married soon and want to get my hubby to be a beagle puppy as a wedding gift. We have talked long and hard about getting a puppy. We recently lost our beloved cat Sage in March and i can't bear to get another cat until i can garauntee that it wouldn't get out of the back garden onto the road. So a puppy would suit us best right now as it definitely can't get out of the garden unless we bring it out for a walk etc. The problem is that i want the puppy to be a surprise and have planned for friends to pick it up and keep it for a few days until we get back from Majorca. :confused:When should i start looking to purchase the puppy to make sure it's ready to go the week we are away? Would breeders be put out that they may have to hold onto it for a while before i pick it up? Anyways any help would be appreciated!!!!:D:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hi Sage,

Apologies if you know this already, but Beagles can be very vocal! We've had one or two come into our rescue because the owners couldn't handle their howling! Particularly if you and your hubby-to-be (congrats!) are both going to be out at work all day, a Beagle might not be the best choice as they are very much a pack-dog and howl when bored or lonely.

Don't mean to put you off - Beagles are lovely dogs - but no harm to be aware of the potential pit falls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Ditto the above.

I have boarded a couple of beagles and they are a nightmare, noise wise. Really cute and very clever but so loud. Also they are the masters of escaping. I know a couple who have one that has literally destroyed their garden out of boredom being alone all day. I think the marriage is about to be destroyed too because of it.

Getting a dog - great idea - but just be careful.

If you do locate one you want, any decent breeder will hold on deposit for you till you are back. It would probably be wise to leave it with them until then, rather than confuse it with 2 new homes!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah, Beagles, while gorgeous, lovely dogs are a nightmare when it comes to howling. You can try to train them not to from an early age but it's in their nature to howl. Fine if you live in the country miles away from anyone but not so good if you have neighbours that like their sleep!

I love Beagles, they're such lovely dogs but far from ideal if you have neighbours - which most people do! Is there any other dog you would consider getting? If not prepare to put in a LOT of hard work training the dog not to howl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Are we talking about the proper little foot beagles (registered)

If you do decide to buy one please be careful who you buy off i.e someone reputable. Also it would seem they are very hard to get so you would want to start searching asap. A reputable breeder will have no problem holding the dog for you, they may request you pay for it first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Thanks a million guys i will certainly think about it. Any other small dogs recommended. i don't like ****-zu's or anything like that i want a proper dog. Thanks again.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Sage'sMama wrote: »
    i don't like ****-zu's or anything like that i want a proper dog.

Ah yes, ask for help by alienating and insulting a large group of dog owners.

It really depends on how active you are... How much exercise do you think you could give a dog each day?

00112984 wrote: »
    Ah yes, ask for help by alienating and insulting a large group of dog owners.

Apologies to all and Kimi the Shih-Tzu and her mammy Alisha! I meant Shih-Tzu had to google to get it right. Anyways thanks for the advice boomerang. Read up a bit more about Beagles have to agree with you's. I need a small to medium sized dog that will be easy to train to get on with other animals. I was thinking of boxers and they are adorable pups but what are they like as adults or is there any other samll dog that would be similar in temperment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Boxers grow in to very big dogs though unfortunately so might be a bit big for you? Would a Jack Russell interest you at all? Such great little characters, easy to train, not big, I just love those dogs :)

I think as you're going to be first time doggy-owners, you need a breed that's easy going and low-maintenance. How about a Cavalier King Charles? They are really sweet, loving little dogs and as they are spaniels, they love a good walk and are surprisingly sporty! They're a go-anywhere, do-anything kind of dog and they don't have the same need for exercise that a Beagle does.

If you get one you just have to be very careful to get one from a good breeder as a lot of them are being badly bred and therefore have heart trouble.

A little bit smaller but just is sweet is the cairn terrier. They are the softest, most placid little terriers I know.

If you intend having another cat in the future a Jack Russell mightn't be the best choice, as they are very "full on" terriers with strong hunting instincts.

I would steer clear of Cocker Spaniels as some of them have temperament issues and I don't think they'd be a good choice for a first-time owner.

Alternatively, you could visit your local rescue and adopt a small, mixed breed dog or possibly even a pure-bred dog if they have one. They'll know the temperaments of their dogs and will work with you to find the right dog for you and your lifestyle. The benefit of getting an adult dog is that there's no guessing about appearance or personality as there is when the dog's still just a little puppy - what you see is what you get. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again Boomerang. I actually had a terrier cross that lived to be fifteen. it was the family dog. I like Jack Russells myself but because i do intend on getting more cats that is why i was anxious about getting one. I have sent an adoption form to dogs in distress. Hopefully something will come of it. They have lovely boxer x female's at the minute. Thanks again to all of you for the advice. As were getting married i need a dog that will be good with kids and babies too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That's great, best of luck with finding a new little friend :) Beagles are such lovely dogs but you have to be realistic too I guess, I hope DID come up trumps for you :)

Advertisement