If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW Philips BDP3000 Blu Ray Player

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 floatinghoop

I emailed Philips about the problem with the Dr Who's freezing. They said

"I am sorry to hear you are unable to play Dr. Who Blu-ray discs on your
    BDP3000. We are aware of this issue, as due to the way the BBC developes
    the Dr. Who Blu-ray discs some are incompatible with our Blu-ray players,
    sadely there is no solution around this."

Now I will email back and ask if the same problem affects other BBC dvd's e.g. Planet Earth, and if so, how can one tell which ones will work and which ones won't.

I will still pop in and show you guys some time, when I have the time..

New message from Philips:

"1. As far as we are aware the issue does not concern other BBC box set
    DVDs. However I cannot guarantee this. 2. Unfortunately there is no way of telling which BBC DVD box sets work without buying them. 3. We are looking into a solution for the issue, but again we cannot guarantee when or if this will happen."

This player was not the only one where there were such problems: see here

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/eap.aspx

It seems that firmware revisions eventually sorted out the problem in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gtv

Can anyone please confirm if this player remains zone free for DVD with the latest firmware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

I'll check this out and get back to you.
    I'd be suprised if it did kill the DVD region free hack as it was never an issue on the regular DVD Players.

Will look into this.

Ash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gtv

Thanks! Nevermind, though. I took the chanse as it would be strange if they removed the feature, and I can confirm it's still zone free on DVD.

You beat me to it.
    Brought in a region 3 DVD to try out this am.

Glad it works.
    Yeah would be strange if they disabled the MR DVD Hack alright!

Cheers for being a guinea pig and trying it out!

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

I got the BDP3000 a couple of weeks ago from Richer, its not region free for DVD, I can play region 1 using the remote sequence hack, but is there a way of making it permanently region free?

Cheers,
    Finn

Hi Finn Dub

Have a look at post 25 in this thread - that will point you in the right direction......

Can be made MR for DVD but not BR.

We mod'ded one of ours and its grand.

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

What does this player retail for guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

£119.99 or €129.99

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GStormcrow wrote: »
    £119.99 or €129.99

Guys,

We are temporarily out of stock of the BDP3000 in The Philips Shop and the price has actually increased in Richer :eek: to £129.95 / €149.99 - however we will always do you a package price if you are buying it with other kit (as you know Gstorm ;))!

Thanks again for the post & drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Guys,

We are temporarily out of stock of the BDP3000 in The Philips Shop and the price has actually increased in Richer :eek: to £129.95 / €149.99 - however we will always do you a package price if you are buying it with other kit (as you know Gstorm ;))!

Thanks again for the post & drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John does this mean I will charged the new price (€149) even though I placed an order on Friday (€109) - when I rang the TV was out of stock hence Richer wouldn't take money for the order.

D

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Darando wrote: »
    John does this mean I will charged the new price (€149) even though I placed an order on Friday (€109) - when I rang the TV was out of stock hence Richer wouldn't take money for the order.

D

Darando,

Dont worry we will look after you from our Richer Sounds stocks!

I have sent you a PM..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MarcHulbert

Has anyone else had a problem with poor picture quality with this model. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. First impressions were good for price. It hacked fine (or so I'm told!!) and the firmware upgrade worked a treat. I noticed when watching my first blu-ray (The day the earth stood still) that there was a slight 'hesitation' on slow panning shots. This was much worse when watching the DVD Revenge of the Sith and the player seemed to be dropping occasional frames, again noticeable on slow panning shots. The DVD of Gavin and Stacey was so bad that I couldn't watch it. Interestingly, Moulin Rouge in region 1 seemed to play fine. I returned the player and it was replaced with no problem but I still have exactly the same issues.

All of these DVDs play fine on my Samsung upscaling DVD player.

Has anyone had similar problems? None of the reviews of this player seem to report any problems like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Haven't had any problems with the player, i've watched return of the sith and didn't notice any frame drops or any problems with any of the DVD's i've played, id say it maybe a setting problem to be honest.

But for a cheap Blu ray player i've thought the picture was more then excellent. In fact picture is as good as the PS3 so can't complain at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slimler

I noticed when watching my first blu-ray (The day the earth stood still) that there was a slight 'hesitation' on slow panning shots.
    Are you watching the HDMI output at 1080p24? I see a stutter once every 42 seconds, because the BDP3000 produces 1080p24.000 instead of 1080p23.976. The repeated frame is especially easy to notice during the scrolling credits at the end of a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dq

Similar issues described here http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/1134842-philips-bdp3000-stutter-not-judder-blu-ray-help-please.html

Above forum posts indicate a new firmware due soon. Remains to be seen of this fixes reported issues.

Generally I've not had any problems with my 3000 but do find that if I pause the movie for any length of time the unit hangs and I can only reset by removing the power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anton61

Has anyone else had a problem with poor picture quality with this model. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. First impressions were good for price. It hacked fine (or so I'm told!!) and the firmware upgrade worked a treat. I noticed when watching my first blu-ray (The day the earth stood still) that there was a slight 'hesitation' on slow panning shots. This was much worse when watching the DVD Revenge of the Sith and the player seemed to be dropping occasional frames, again noticeable on slow panning shots. The DVD of Gavin and Stacey was so bad that I couldn't watch it. Interestingly, Moulin Rouge in region 1 seemed to play fine. I returned the player and it was replaced with no problem but I still have exactly the same issues.

All of these DVDs play fine on my Samsung upscaling DVD player.

Has anyone had similar problems? None of the reviews of this player seem to report any problems like this.

I got my BDP3000 on the 1st Dec and played "Angels & Demons" bluray and every 10mins approx got a hesitation for about 2 secs also tried "Its a wonderful Life" bluray same issue. I did a firmware update tonight, It has improved but still happening 25mins approx

Anton61

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lijh

Does anyone know how to use this player with a 5.1 surround sound system? Do the 5 cables plug into the TV along with the HDMI cable?

Really confused.....and i'd be giving this as a present so I really need to know!

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 angelanmark

I'll check this out and get back to you.
    I'd be suprised if it did kill the DVD region free hack as it was never an issue on the regular DVD Players.

Will look into this.

Ash
    Hi please could you help ( I am rubbish with technology) we have a Phillips bdp3000 and it plays our old DVD's and new BR well. For xmas i bought my husband BBC planet earth and BBC life standard play region 2. They both freeze after the BBC titles never getting even to the DVD menu. They play on the computer and the xbox. Will they ever work on the phillips ? if so how do I get them to play.
    Angela

Hi there Angelanmark

Have a look at this very long link...
    It will take you to the latest firmware update for this machine.

Hopefully this will do the trick

/www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=IE&slg=ENG&sct=BD_PLAYERS_SU&cat=PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&session=20091226095920_83.70.176.90&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=BDP3000/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Happy New Year
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 angelanmark

Thanks Ash, I was brave enough to try to do this!!(nearly bottled it:D) and it worked thank you so much.
    Angela

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Glad that worked for you Angela. :D

Have a great new year from all at The Philips Shop,

Nicola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 agb610

We bought a philips BDP-3000 the other week and got it for christmas. We have tried a couple of bluray dvds on it and about every 10 minutes or so the screen would go black for a couple of seconds but the audio would contiue. Has anyone else had this problem and what can i do about this ? Thanks

Hi agb610

Where did you buy your BDP3000 from?
    Have you tried the firmware update I posted above?

let me know how you get on
    atb
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Hi Ash,

Do you currently have any BDP3000's in your store?

jackdoes

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Hey there jackdoes!

We are out of stock on the BDP3000 but we do have the equally excellent BDP2500 instore for €149.99. With your Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount that comes to €134.99.

Spec: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP2500/05&slg=en&scy=GB

Thanks, Nicola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Thanks Nicola,

I see you have on in Belfast. I am heading up there next week. I will hold out till then.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

Thinking of buying one of these. How do you do the firmware update? Download to PC and copy to USB and install?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.