Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 year old & Bottles

Options
  • 08-06-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi & Please HELP

My little one is two and a half at night time she goes to bed at 8pm with a warm bottle of milk. Drinks it and goes straight to sleep then at around half two or three she wakes up crying for another and will not settle until she gets it. Some nights she can wake up two or three times. Strange thing is she never looks for her bottle during the day.

I'm at my wits end at this point!!
    Two and a half years of night feeding is way more than what i signed up for!!!
    Anyone in a similar situation any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

hiya! have you tried giving her a bottle of water in the middle of the night instead of the milk! they tend to get fed up with the water and then dont bother waking up for the bottle! it worked for my children althought they were quiet a bit younger then 2 and a half! they get into a habit of the night feeds! have you tried to talk to here and telling her she is a big girl that doesnt need a bottle in the night! yadda yadda!!...

if you persevere for maybe a week of just not giving into her with the night time bottles she will eventually get the idea and give up asking for it!

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

hiya! have you tried giving her a bottle of water in the middle of the night instead of the milk! they tend to get fed up with the water and then dont bother waking up for the bottle! it worked for my children althought they were quiet a bit younger then 2 and a half! they get into a habit of the night feeds! have you tried to talk to here and telling her she is a big girl that doesnt need a bottle in the night! yadda yadda!!...

if you persevere for maybe a week of just not giving into her with the night time bottles she will eventually get the idea and give up asking for it!

good luck

Yep tried all of the above nothing seems to work even tried bribing her, maybe I'll try not giving it to her at all again god I feel like a failure!! I don't know what it is with her she has been happy enough with giving up all the other baby thing like nappies etc just can't seem to let go of her boby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mumof2maybe3

For both my sons I gave them the big boy speech and put their bedtime bottle into an anyway up sippy cup. This compleatly eliminated the bottles and after a while they got a glass of milk and a biscuit before brushing teeth. It worked both times with no fuss, in saying that every child is different and I wish you the best.

For both my sons I gave them the big boy speech and put their bedtime bottle into an anyway up sippy cup. This compleatly eliminated the bottles and after a while they got a glass of milk and a biscuit before brushing teeth. It worked both times with no fuss, in saying that every child is different and I wish you the best.

Thanks that seems like something she might go for

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

when we tried to get dd off her bottle we "accidentally" got a big hole in the top of the teat and dd got drowned when the started her bottle. She wasn't long giving it up.:D:D

• Advertisement

oh well wrote: »
    when we tried to get dd off her bottle we "accidentally" got a big hole in the top of the teat and dd got drowned when the started her bottle. She wasn't long giving it up.:D:D

How was your little one when she gave the bottle up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

:eek: That sounds dangerous! Weren't you afraid she might choke?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, yeah because cleaning the cot and assorted toys that would be soaked in milk every night would be a welcome break in routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

she was 3 - no danger she'd choke. She did drown herself the first time. Tried it again 2nd time and then gave up. She took to a sippy cup after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

When all of mine were small they had a soother, when the time came for the doodie to go (around 2.5 to 3 yrs of age:o), the doodie fairy came. She took the doodies (15 of them in my daughters case:D) and left a present they really wanted. We spent a few nights before that preparing them, giving the big boy/girl speech and counting down the days. I really thought it wouldnt work esp with the girl as she was a total addict, but it did!!
    Whatever method you try, once you make the decision , stick to it, the very worst thing you can do is 'break' in the middle of the night and give it back.
    Good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Heres what you need to imagine. When she is 3, lots of plaque on her teeth. You take her to the dentist and s/he tells you they are all decayed and need to be pulled or they will turn black and possibly cause sceptecemia. Then you need to imagine for the next few years all photos will have a toothless smile and she will start school with no teeth and not be able to chew. Then imagine the dentist bill.

I had to get tough with my 2 yr old and his bottles. I have him down to one before he brushes his teeth and bed.that will soon drop too.or hell get water in it.

Pin her down to get at those teeth if you have too.

Heres what you need to imagine. When she is 3, lots of plaque on her teeth. You take her to the dentist and s/he tells you they are all decayed and need to be pulled or they will turn black and possibly cause sceptecemia. Then you need to imagine for the next few years all photos will have a toothless smile and she will start school with no teeth and not be able to chew. Then imagine the dentist bill.

I had to get tough with my 2 yr old and his bottles. I have him down to one before he brushes his teeth and bed.that will soon drop too.or hell get water in it.

Pin her down to get at those teeth if you have too.

Tough love I like it!! I think that might work she's a very strong minded little lady so I guess I'm gonna have to tougher!!
    Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

My two eldest refused to give up their bottle of milk at night too. Before starting toilet training we needed to get them to give up the night bottles so what worked for us was slowly watering down the bottle. Over a period of 2 or 3 weeks, we had the bottle with just water in it and soon enough they stopped asking for it and rarely complained during the process.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    My two eldest refused to give up their bottle of milk at night too. Before starting toilet training we needed to get them to give up the night bottles so what worked for us was slowly watering down the bottle. Over a period of 2 or 3 weeks, we had the bottle with just water in it and soon enough they stopped asking for it and rarely complained during the process.

We have her trained and we have watered the bottle down but it hasn't worked!!
    She doesn't care how watery it is as long as it still looks like my milk!

Advertisement