Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low light setting and Ilford 3200 BW film

• 08-06-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question ......

I'm attending a function (usual pub type thing) I was just wondering would I get adequately exposed photos in such a low light setting by using ilford 3200 iso film coupled with a f/1.8 lens (camera obviously handheld).

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Probably should be ok, but it depends on how well the pub is lit. In rooms lit by a single tungsten or CFL bulb (ie, indoors at night) I generally get about 1/30th -> 1/60th of a second at 1600. So you should be ok at 3200 if the pub is as well lit to handhold with a 50mm at about 1/60th.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the exposuremeter will let ya know pretty quick but yeah say so

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Daire - you don't happen to know if this film is very grainy at 3200? Also I have a 50 f/1.4, but don't want to risk anything happening to that (falling into a pint glass or other such similar fates!) so was thinking of using the 50mm f1.8.

melekalikimaka - I don't want to bring along the camera if there isn't a good chance i'd get decent photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've pushed Ilfor Delta 3200 to 12,800 before and over processed to compensate fo rit.It is grainy but its a really nice grain. I use Rodinol special to develop it.

ISO 12,800 is a bit extreme to push it to but pushing it to ISO 6400 is fine and even then you can set the camera to underexpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trican wrote: »
    Daire - you don't happen to know if this film is very grainy at 3200? Also I have a 50 f/1.4, but don't want to risk anything happening to that (falling into a pint glass or other such similar fates!) so was thinking of using the 50mm f1.8.

melekalikimaka - I don't want to bring along the camera if there isn't a good chance i'd get decent photos.

It -is- pretty grainy, but thats only to be expected.

3508592834_a3a74a40bc.jpg

depends on how you develop aswell though. These were put through DD-X which is a reasonably good high speed developer. If I'd souped them in rodinal for example the grain would be enORMOUS...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I'd go for Kodak's 3200 rather than Ilford, I find the grain is smaller and develop in TMax with gentle agitation to recommended time. I have had great results with this with just candle light. (see below)

The speed is the killer 1/60 Seconds is fine for close up but most pubs like to have the lights down low. So my advise is to try to stage things a bit. Get people to sit in the window seats is a good start. you'll have natural light till 9.30 to add some fill. Scope out the pub, no good suggest another with good south west facing windows. Bring your f/1.4 lens are meant to be used, if your feeling less brave or consuming camera shake juice, switch to the 1.8 after a while. Ask the barman can he turn up the lights in your section a little.

Don't know what type of camera you are using but meter on the dark part of the subjects face and then set that to be two stops underexposed. If you have spot metering use it. Bracket your shots, yes it uses more film but it rescues so much too.

If you have a monopod bring it ..... you'll get down to 1/30 easily with that and not be too blurred as long as you are within 2 metres of subject. If you don't want to carry one of them use a golf umbrella (which you'll probably needs as the Irish summer has returned) to steady your hand or wedge yourself against anything firm (That might lead to a misunderstanding with any ladies if you take that advice out of context!)

(aside: Now there's a thought sticking with epoxy a mini tripod plate and screw to the base of a golf umbrella :D)

samples:
    2884755490_5f833f36d7.jpg

2884660353_2a2f2d7fa4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

wow thanks for the super detailed post Simplicius - I've already gone for the ilford 3200, i'll have to try out the Kodak the next time! By the sounds of things its going to be very challenging to get some decent photos.

I like your tip about metering/exposing around the face. Metering on my camera is restricted to just 60/40 center-weighted, so I'm guessing 1 stop rather than 2 might be more appropriate.

That should work as long as your subject is not strongly backlight, if so knock off another stop. This is where bracketing comes in... try bracketing on the shots you feel are going to be the classics.

If you are planning on printing any of them in a darkroom, then print on Ilford semi-matte fibre with warmtone developer... this combo reduces grain a lot in my experience.

and finally make sure you come back here and post the results ....

I've used Kodaks 3200 and put it rthru Tmax or TX developer and I found it to be like massive grains of sand in my experience.

Delta 3200 pushed ot either 6400 or 12,800 (no exif with film!)

439708613_5295734707.jpg

pete4130 wrote: »
    Delta 3200 pushed ot either 6400 or 12,800 (no exif with film!)

What is the development details for this, great shot by the way

• Advertisement

slight fill in flash, pushed 1-2 stops and processed with Tmax developer with 1/3 or 2x 1/3 incremented developing times respectively at 20 degrees. Taken a few years ago. I simply LOVE delta 3200 pushed!

Advertisement