Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Cost of Shipping 20ft Container from China to Dublin??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good morning, latest information according to the CEO of Boskalis (Dutch salvage operators) is that it will likely take days possibly weeks to refloat the Ever Given, stuck in the Suez Canal.
    In the middle of the canal the dept is 25 meters, coming up to 15 meters upto 11 meters, probably higher again at the edge of the canal. The vessel's dept is 15.7 meters. Not only has the stern wedged itself into the canal bank, it has also hit the bottom on either side of the canal. A team of 10 salvage experts arrived this morning around 04.00 and are on board to asses the situation.
    They are checking how much ballast and oil is in the ship. They will need to pump this out in an effort to refloat the vessel. They also may have to take containers off. Once the assessment is completed they will need to bring in equipment, which as the Boskalis CEO Peter Berdowski explained is "not around the corner"
    This is not going to resolve itself quickly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Darc19 wrote: »

Boskalis CEO hopes to release Suez ship early next week
    YESTERDAY, 10:36 PM

Boskalis CEO Peter Berdowski hopes early next week to succeed in getting the stranded ship in the Suez Canal free. But whether that succeeds depends on a number of factors, he says in Nieuwsuur.

According to Berdowski, there are now two heavy tugs underway, along with a bollard pull of about 400 tons. Those 'tough guys' arrive this weekend.

Berdowski thinks that a combination of factors could be beneficial for the release of the ship. Next week there will be a few days with high tide. According to the CEO, that saves about forty to fifty centimeters in water level.

"The combination with the ships that we have then, with the soil that we have already been able to dredge away and the high tide, will hopefully be enough to release the ship sometime early next week."

Plan B
    If that doesn't work, Berdowski has another plan B. "At the same time, we are already installing a crane that is on land. This will enable us to remove any containers from the foredeck. This could involve hundreds of containers. which makes the ship a lot lighter at the front. "This raises the ship slightly, making it even easier to pry it loose.

The disadvantage of this plan B is that it is slower, because the hundreds of containers cannot be hoisted off the ship just like that. "You also have to get rid of those six hundred containers," says Berdowski. "It is just desert right next to the ship. So the disposal of those containers will be a puzzle."

The CEO hopes that it will not come to that. Berdowski: "We play chess on two boards. Hopefully we will succeed purely with the pulling power, the high tide and the dredging to get the ship loose."

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Not out of the woods yet, but some very good news this morning.

FaaF wrote: »
    Not out of the woods yet, but some very good news this morning.

As we have seen on the news, the Ever Given has been refloated. With 350+ ships in the queue it will be a number of days (possibly upto 7 days) before the backlog is cleared.
    Then the challenge will move to the European ports. Due to the delays in Suez they will have had an opportunity to reduce the pressure they have been under due to increased demand and Covid.
    With a lot of vessels now arriving all at the same time congestion levels will go through the roof.
    Unclear what the impact will be, but expect significant further delays. There will also be an impact on exports from Europe and shortage of equipment in the Far East will continue unabated.

• Advertisement

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    As we have seen on the news, the Ever Given has been refloated. With 350+ ships in the queue it will be a number of days (possibly upto 7 days) before the backlog is cleared.
    Then the challenge will move to the European ports. Due to the delays in Suez they will have had an opportunity to reduce the pressure they have been under due to increased demand and Covid.
    With a lot of vessels now arriving all at the same time congestion levels will go through the roof.
    Unclear what the impact will be, but expect significant further delays. There will also be an impact on exports from Europe and shortage of equipment in the Far East will continue unabated.

Subject: CMA notice to customers - booking delays / booking stops / Suez Canal

Hi all,

Further to our recent – just to remind you that booking turntimes are been delayed.
    As we know, most feeders / terminals / ocean vessels are full , this along with shortage of equipment and booking stops for some destinations
    has resulted in more and more checks to be carried out before we can confirm a booking.
    So please allow min 2 working days for conformation of bookings.

Full ocean vessels ;
    In general we are full to most areas , so we may offer you a vessel in 2/3 weeks time , it is up to you to decide if you want to load early , but
    Be aware that you may run into export storage charges.

Also is some cases we have a booking STOP / control for month of April i.e. ;
    West Africa / Canada / Mexico and most of USA ( small space available to Charleston / Miami / Houston / New Orleans on our Victory service )
    Suez Canal – with Ever Given moved – we hope to see vessel moving through it again in next day or 2 ,
    However we are faced with a major backlog from this delay – all the vessel stuck there will starting arriving Europe at the same time,
    To terminal which are already congested and not enough feeder space to take all this cargo in the same week.
    So there WILL be delays on import cargo and this will have a knock on effect on exports to Asia / Middle East / India Sub Continent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Just been advised by my freight company that FEWB (Far East Westbound) rate for a 40ft in July is...... are you sitting down..... $20,000. We're going to see some serious inflation soon!!

And that's even if you can get a booking. I've been trying for 3 months now and every time the port ends up closing due to Covid outbreaks. Price has gone from $8k to $13k to now looking like it's going to be $20k within those 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Scotty # wrote: »
    Just been advised by my freight company that FEWB (Far East Westbound) rate for a 40ft in July is...... are you sitting down..... $20,000. We're going to see some serious inflation soon!!

And that's even if you can get a booking. I've been trying for 3 months now and every time the port ends up closing due to Covid outbreaks. Price has gone from $8k to $13k to now looking like it's going to be $20k within those 3 months.

Joe Public is oblivious to this. As you say one issue is price the other is getting a container onto the ship.

We will have to get used to not being able to purchase items we took for granted not long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Yep, Yantian port had major impacts/shut downs due to COVID in staff so there is more major disruption to shipping lines networks.. Arguably more significant than the Ever Given incident but probably exciting enough to make the news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A lot of the larger companies will have contracted rates, so they won't be paying anything near these rates.

I know a certain very large Toy Retailer base in Galway was bemoaning that their average rate for 40ft will be close to $5,000 this year

But they ship thousands of containers as they have shops all over Europe

• Advertisement

Depending on the port you are trying to ship from, I would suggest you may need to check around. Even if Yantian is the port of shipment, I would not expect to pay anywhere near Us$ 20K.

At this stage for July the rate ex Ningbo/Shanghai should be around Us$ 13500 max. Other ports could be higher, depending on space / equipment availability.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It is from Yantian. I was quoted $13.5k last month and was told it was subject to change even AFTER departure. Departure was supposed to be the 28th but now they're quoting $20k and still subject to change.

I was offered Nansha but the supplier declined for some reason.

If you can quote me a better rate PM me please.

It is from Yantian. I was quoted $13.5k last month and was told it was subject to change even AFTER departure. Departure was supposed to be the 28th but now they're quoting $20k and still subject to change.

I was offered Nansha but the supplier declined for some reason.

If you can quote me a better rate PM me please.

PM sent

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Martinet76

Prices are leveling off at the minute there dropping .Best thing is to share get a 45ft between two or three people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Martinet76

Might be cheaper to buy a 40ft container then u can sell space in it if your doing a few trips shop around its quite at the minute

Very few 45ft containers on the China to Europe market.. The lines used most of the deep sea 45fts for the US market.. Most of the 45fts we see in Ireland are pallet wides, so limited to European use

No it wouldn't.. The price for a 40ft ex China is now down to about €1500-€2000/40ft using line equipment.. This includes them looking after the empty when it gets to Dublin(they normally ship a lot back to china empty due to trade imbalance).. If you are using your own container, you would have to pay the cost to return the empty yourself and their shippers owned rates are likely higher on both legs.. Economies of scale are VERY important in shipping, so if you have 1 container and are trying to act as a shipping line, your cost will be multiples higher than what the shipping lines can do it for..

Also, there is a lot of work in co-ordinating LCL shipments which is why co-loaders exist.. A lot of forwarders don't even operate their own LCL services, they just farm it out to the big co-loaders like Shipco, Vanguard or Kestrel

Advertisement