Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood Pellet Boiler Element

• 08-06-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I have a Kedco wood pellet boiler and the element has burned out. Has anyone replaced an element themselves. I can get Kedco to do it but I think that it should be easy to do myself. Any experience out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Green Issues. Mods, do as you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I have a Kedco wood pellet boiler and the element has burned out. Has anyone replaced an element themselves. I can get Kedco to do it but I think that it should be easy to do myself. Any experience out there?

Its easy once you have a spare element. Disconnect the power to the burner. Take out the burner from the side of the boiler. Follow the 2 red wires that go to the circuit board. Use a phase tester to unscrew the holdings screws and replace.

I have had to replace mine once since I got it 2 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Thanks for that. Where did you buy the new element?

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Where did you buy the new element?

I had a spare one but I think Kedco or Kerry Bio Fuels (www.kbf.ie) should have them. Around €25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mcauleyj

Hi,

I have the Scotte burner - same as the kedco I believe. Process of replacement exactly as Chimpster described. Think I have replaced mine twice in 2.5 years - the newer ones seem to be more 'heavy duty' than the earlier ones - it has certainly lasted a lot longer than the first one.

Lifetime is obviously dependent on usage [startup]. One thing that could effect how long it lasts is how often you run out of fuel/ your optical sensor breaks - as the control unit tries a few ignition cycles before declaring an F1 error (no fuel or cannot see flame).

Chimpster - have you had to replace your optical sensor much since getting the unit? What about cleaning intervals - say for the burn grate?

I've replaced my optical sensor quite a few times, more than 3 or 4 times anyhow. Some of these instances were my own fault - where I didnt clean the burn plate regularly enough (needed around once a week to 10 days during periods of high usage over the winter months). This causes the burner to overheat, whereby the thermostat in the burner causes the controller to kill power to burner itself (turning the fan off too, as well as the feed). The residual heat in the burn plate can then cause the plastic optical sensor to melt/ tarnish - hence requring an optical sensor replacement. Replacing this is similar to the heater element.

I'd be interested in other people experiences with the Scotte/ Kedco type units.

Also, I've been wondering if the self cleaning grate wood pellet boilers work well - say the likes of the Ponast/Verner units - how much maintainence do users actually have to do?

John

• Advertisement

mcauleyj,

I have never actually had to change to Lux Sensor on the unit.

A few points on the OPOP/Scotte Unit.

1. I have a 24KW unit but I've actually only have it set at 10KW as the % of work it has to do was way to low at 24KW.

2. If you are running UFH all through your house then I reckon the output temp of your boiler should be set to 40 degrees. I know this will create issues on the water heating side but I am lucky enough to have solar also. And in the winter when the solar isnt good enough I use an immersion element to kick in and bring the water to 60 degrees. Also if running UFH the house should control itself, do not time your circuit to come on and off during the heatings season.

3. My cleaning intervals are set for 5 seconds but I have increased the fan power to 100% for this.

4. Screw capacity is set pretty big. ie; I have very little pellets being fed into the system. Its takes a very weak flame to keep the water at 40 degrees.

4. I am happy with the boiler. I have it linked to an outdoor JFC silo which works a treat. The great thing about these boilers is that they are so simple. No fancy controls, alot of the potential problems are DIY.

My issues:

Very little really. Cleaning the grate and ash can be a bit of hassle but I've trained myself to do it on a saturday during the heating season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Hi,

I have the OPOP/Scotte boiler too. Been installed for about 2.5 years. Have had to replace the sensor once but not the element though the technican changed the element during the last service to a new more heavy duty one.

Overall I find it easy to maintain. Cleaning it every week or so is not ideal but it is only a ten minute job.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I too have the Scotte/OPOP set up, having problems with elements burning out. Its element number three now. Have to say it performed great during the cold spell. Are KBF the only people to buy these from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I have the Kedco 24KW boiler installed now about 3 years and am fed up with it. If I could swicth over to oil right now I would.

Now I'm not 100% sure if it's user ignorance or a dodgy boiler but so far the issues I have had are:

Replaced element twice
    Replaced thermostat twice

At the moment I'm trying to get it going manually by using a firelighter as it's not igniting itself but I've had an issue with the boiler reading a temperature of 199 therefore knocking itself off. My plumber ordered up an new Stat 10 days ago but hasn't resolved the issue.

If yer boilers switches to Ingnition 2 will it ignite ? I've found that if mine goes to Ignition 2 forget about it, she ain't firing up.

Am low on pellets now so it's decision time, either call Kedco for assistance and order more pellets or consider an alternative (Not finacially viable)

I have used Balcas pellets the last 12 months, anyone any hassle with them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

I have the Kedco 24KW boiler installed now about 3 years and am fed up with it. If I could swicth over to oil right now I would.

Now I'm not 100% sure if it's user ignorance or a dodgy boiler but so far the issues I have had are:

Replaced element twice
    Replaced thermostat twice

At the moment I'm trying to get it going manually by using a firelighter as it's not igniting itself but I've had an issue with the boiler reading a temperature of 199 therefore knocking itself off. My plumber ordered up an new Stat 10 days ago but hasn't resolved the issue.

If yer boilers switches to Ingnition 2 will it ignite ? I've found that if mine goes to Ignition 2 forget about it, she ain't firing up.

Am low on pellets now so it's decision time, either call Kedco for assistance and order more pellets or consider an alternative (Not finacially viable)

I have used Balcas pellets the last 12 months, anyone any hassle with them ?
    Hi,

I can't speak for the Kedco unit because even though I have considerable experience with a similar product the burner and controls are somewhat different but the consumables are the same, eg ignitor, photocell and temperature sensor.

When the burner is being serviced the first two components should be replaced even if the existing are working.

I recommend leaving the parts that are removed beside / close to the boiler and you will always have a spare part to fall back on.

Replacing the parts is fairly easy, the manufacturer is of the belief that servicing the system is within the ability of the average DIY person, fair enough some prefer to employ someone familiar with the system to carry out the work for them.

I suggest that you check the sensor connections in the controller, I haven't seen the temperature sensor fail on the model I am familiar with but I have seen faults develop at the connections to the controller.

The wires are very thin and can be difficult to ensure you get a good connection so take your time and make sure the Power is Off to the controller.

I would like you to consider the following, an oil or gas boiler would be due it's third service and part of that service involves some parts.

Your boiler at three years old appears to be running fairly true to the service record of once a year.

Another part to watch at this stage is the burn grate, they do wear out and can cause problems to the body of the burner if not replaced before they show signs of metal breaking down.

I hope the above is of help I have to be careful not to be seen to be advertising.

• Advertisement

Thanks Peter, will look at those things you mention.

I have a OPOP/Bio Comfort/Kedco unit also.

I have replaced the element once and the photcell once in 3 years. I know the unit inside out at this stage and I have a good handle on how to service it myself.

I hear a new type of element has now been introduced with a supposodly longer lifecyle. These guys are around €25 a pop.

My advice is that you should get it serviced by someone who knows the system, a temp reading of 199 suggests an error with the sensor that clips onto the flow pipe at the back of the boiler.

At current fuel prices I am saving approx €500 a year vs Oil on my 2200 sq foot UFH heated house so it will take another year before I get payback on the extra money I outlayed over an Oil system so the jury is still out on whether it was worth while or not. I suppose there is also the threat that oil will go up in price at least there is a cusion that pellets wont get the same spike.

Okay as well as the 199 issue the element must be gone as well cause it's not firing up the burner. I removed it to see if it's heating up at all and no it's not.

Maybe I got a dud of a boiler but I'm sick of it.

p.s I checked the temp sensor connection in the wall mounted box and made sure contatc was good.

P.M sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tom72680

hi everyone, l have a kedco wood pellet burner now for two years l used a indoor hopper but since l got my bio bin built and new auger installed two months ago l have real trouble with it.The guy who installed it has been trying to sort it out but with no success yet.The problems are
    1.pellets not burnt though the ash pan is full of black pellets
    2.Taking up to two hrs to reach 60 degrees.
    Pellets supplied by balcas.Has anyone experienced this type of problem and know how to sort it.:confused:

My element failed again on me last Friday night. Had to have one sent up from Cork which took a couple of days as it was the weekend so it was firelighters to the ready again !! Element arrived on Tue/Wed and working alright again since.

tom72680 wrote: »
    hi everyone, l have a kedco wood pellet burner now for two years l used a indoor hopper but since l got my bio bin built and new auger installed two months ago l have real trouble with it.The guy who installed it has been trying to sort it out but with no success yet.The problems are
    1.pellets not burnt though the ash pan is full of black pellets
    2.Taking up to two hrs to reach 60 degrees.
    Pellets supplied by balcas.Has anyone experienced this type of problem and know how to sort it.:confused:

When the boiler is running for 30 mins what kind of flame is coming from the burning chamber ? It should imo be bloody flaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tom72680

When the boiler is running for 30 mins what kind of flame is coming from the burning chamber ? It should imo be bloody flaming.

hi, the flame is just feathering the other side of the boiler which as lve been told the way it should be.It gets up to a good temp. in the first half hour around 30 to 34 degrees its from then on that its takes a lot of time to get to sixty degrees, a hour plus sometimes, when l go out to check it the flame has died away back but then later it could be back to the way it should be lam just lost and l think kedco are to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sailorlad

How did you adjust the 24KW down to 10kw ???
    Cheers.

Chimpster wrote: »
    mcauleyj,

I have never actually had to change to Lux Sensor on the unit.

A few points on the OPOP/Scotte Unit.

1. I have a 24KW unit but I've actually only have it set at 10KW as the % of work it has to do was way to low at 24KW.

2. If you are running UFH all through your house then I reckon the output temp of your boiler should be set to 40 degrees. I know this will create issues on the water heating side but I am lucky enough to have solar also. And in the winter when the solar isnt good enough I use an immersion element to kick in and bring the water to 60 degrees. Also if running UFH the house should control itself, do not time your circuit to come on and off during the heatings season.

3. My cleaning intervals are set for 5 seconds but I have increased the fan power to 100% for this.

4. Screw capacity is set pretty big. ie; I have very little pellets being fed into the system. Its takes a very weak flame to keep the water at 40 degrees.

4. I am happy with the boiler. I have it linked to an outdoor JFC silo which works a treat. The great thing about these boilers is that they are so simple. No fancy controls, alot of the potential problems are DIY.

My issues:

Very little really. Cleaning the grate and ash can be a bit of hassle but I've trained myself to do it on a saturday during the heating season.

Element gone again. OMG

• Advertisement

Element gone again. OMG

Did you try the guys in Kerry Biofuels? I had replaced my element 3 or 4 times before getting a heavy duty one from them and its been great ever since?

Did you try the guys in Kerry Biofuels? I had replaced my element 3 or 4 times before getting a heavy duty one from them and its been great ever since?

I had a look at the website and the one in the pic looked like the original "lighter" one that came with the boiler so just ordered 2 from Kedco. How often were you going through them ?

I went through three in quick succession (in the space of a year if I remember correctly) just when we were starting these ultra-cold winters. I only had the boiler coming on twice a day so don't think it was over use of the element. The one I was replacing regularly was the long U-shaped thin one with light gauge wire coming off it. The one KBF sent me was a solid long cylinder type with much heavier duty wire. Thats in two years now without any trouble and fire-up is very quick indeed. Happy heating !

Now I feel like I should have ordered from KBF but just needed to get an element enroute to me asap. What KW boiler have you ?

I have an OPOP D'OR with a Scotte Burner. Not sure if its 16 or 24kW. So far so good with it anyway ! I have it in a (large) wooden garden shed. I think its the same as the Kedco one. Have 200kg indoor hopper. Buy bags in bulk. Just finishing my 2nd tonne, not bad considering the harsh winter! Have a sizeable Mulberry multi fuel stove with a back boiler to back it up so helps an awful lot keeping the house warm. Its been on the go now 5 years without major incident, just the weak element....

I have an OPOP D'OR with a Scotte Burner. Not sure if its 16 or 24kW. So far so good with it anyway ! I have it in a (large) wooden garden shed. I think its the same as the Kedco one. Have 200kg indoor hopper. Buy bags in bulk. Just finishing my 2nd tonne, not bad considering the harsh winter! Have a sizeable Mulberry multi fuel stove with a back boiler to back it up so helps an awful lot keeping the house warm. Its been on the go now 5 years without major incident, just the weak element....

That's where we slipped up ........ not installing a multi-fuel stove as a backup !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sleeper2

I've a opop 24kw boiler that I'm having some trouble with. The boiler is working fine but trips the electric every few hours, any ideas?

I'd say its probably a problem with the water pump maybe? The opop system actually doesn't use that much power when running, the element I think is about 300w which is fairly low.

Hi,

Possible earth problem (check continuity).

If the earth is Ok make sure there are no tails that can touch where the connections are made inside the controller.

I have had three controllers fail last year due to board circuit problems one was repairable, one dead on arrival and the last one hasn't been checked yet (note to self).

Generally they are fairly sturdy I think three is acceptable out of all the systems we handled.

I reckon it's safer to have a qualified electrician check for short circuits they can have serious consequences.

I hope that if some help,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

sleeper2 wrote: »
    I've a opop 24kw boiler that I'm having some trouble with. The boiler is working fine but trips the electric every few hours, any ideas?

I had a rat chew through one of the cables in mine which caused it to short!! Fried Rat special!!!:D

Hmmmmmmm Tasty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sleeper2

Thanks lads, talked to a tec who suggested changing the element, seemed to work finr hasn't tripped since.

Strange, because the ignition element should be programmed to switch off within 6 minutes of start up, your problem was tripping after a few hours.

The only time the element should cause power to trip is if the tails are touching where it is connected into the board on the burner.

Still it's a solution just can't figure out how.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pmacantu1

Hi, Does anyone know of an English Language forum for pellet stoves. I am having issues with an Ecologica Idro not lighting. Have changed the ignition element. I am based in Belmullet and seem to be too far away for a service technician to call so I am happy to try to solve it myself, rgds, Proinsias

Hi,

There are many reasons why the Ecologica Idro will not light most of them can be linked back to the installation of the stove.

I always recommend that people buy such products from a local supplier who will provide the necessary back up, it can take two hours for an experienced technician to commission a pellet stove and that is if it was installed properly.

I suggest that you contact the company you bought it from and insist that they provide the after sales service, they knew where you lived when they sold it, if they weren't willing to provide the service they should have told you before selling it to you.

Be very careful about any online information on that model as there are different software versions installed so what works for one owner does mean it will work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pmacantu1

Thanks Pete, Its 3 months on and I am waiting for the supplier to schedule a visit. I think I am getting the message that did does not want to travel. I have the stove lighting, but the pump is not kicking in. The pump indicator light is on, but the pump is not pumping which is causing obvious error messages. There maybe an issue with water pressure. Any ideas rgds, P

pmacantu1 wrote: »
    Thanks Pete, Its 3 months on and I am waiting for the supplier to schedule a visit. I think I am getting the message that did does not want to travel. I have the stove lighting, but the pump is not kicking in. The pump indicator light is on, but the pump is not pumping which is causing obvious error messages. There maybe an issue with water pressure. Any ideas rgds, P

Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

There are safetys built in to the Ecologica some of which may have been by-passed, one is for low pressure and another is for high pressure, if the system pressure drops a little below 1/2 bar or goes a little over 2.5 bar it should not feed pellet.

There is also a high limit stat (similar to all boilers) beside the pump which if tripped will cause the pump to stop working and should also stop pellet feeding in.

If the pressure switch was by-passed it could cause the stove to keep feeding pellet but stop the pump working when the high limit stat trips.

There is a screw in the back panel above the pump, if you take the screw out it should allow you to push a screw driver in to test / re-set the high limit stat.

If I am right that still leaves the problem of the pressure switch having been by-passed.

I recently had an enquiry for a new pellet boiler from your county I'm not sure the customer could understand why I was refusing to quote based on the fact that I would not be able / willing to provide the level of after sales service I know customers should get.

Perhaps other people reading this thread will now know it is very important to buy from a company who will provide a timely after sales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freezing girl

Hi PeteHeat!
    I'm happy to have found someone who may be able to help me at last. I live in a small village in Hungary and have an Ecologica Idro since 2006. The company which I bought it from went bankrupt (not unusual in Hungay...), it doesn't exist anymore, so I've got difficulties to get service. I am afraid to call someone who has never seen a stove like this in his life. He may cause more trouble. I've spoken to Edilkamin specialists, but the solution which works for that type didn't work for me. My actual problem now is, that there was a long powerbreak here on thursday and the stove was unfortunately on when the power went away. I guess some kind of safety device has automatically blocked the pellet motor because I'm unable to start the stove since then. Everything is functioning, on the display even the light of the pellet motor turns on as if it were working, but it doesn't turn or give the usual sound when it works. I've took off the side elements and on my electric panel I can read this: STIDRO_41, 18/04/2006, and the code nr on the back of the stove is: 001270400. I've read the manual and it says that the stove must be reset manually by a technician. I will have to be the technician myself, so if You could advise me how I can reset the stove I'd be sooo Grateful! I'm freezing! Many thanx in advance.

P.M. sent
    Hi PeteHeat!
    I'm happy to have found someone who may be able to help me at last. I live in a small village in Hungary and have an Ecologica Idro since 2006. The company which I bought it from went bankrupt (not unusual in Hungay...), it doesn't exist anymore, so I've got difficulties to get service. I am afraid to call someone who has never seen a stove like this in his life. He may cause more trouble. I've spoken to Edilkamin specialists, but the solution which works for that type didn't work for me. My actual problem now is, that there was a long powerbreak here on thursday and the stove was unfortunately on when the power went away. I guess some kind of safety device has automatically blocked the pellet motor because I'm unable to start the stove since then. Everything is functioning, on the display even the light of the pellet motor turns on as if it were working, but it doesn't turn or give the usual sound when it works. I've took off the side elements and on my electric panel I can read this: STIDRO_41, 18/04/2006, and the code nr on the back of the stove is: 001270400. I've read the manual and it says that the stove must be reset manually by a technician. I will have to be the technician myself, so if You could advise me how I can reset the stove I'd be sooo Grateful! I'm freezing! Many thanx in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freezing girl

Hi everybody!

Thanks to PeteHeat I will have to change my user name, 'cause I'm not freezing anymore :-))))
    He gave me easy, good instructions, which I was able to follow and the stove is working again!

Thanx a lot Pete and thanx Forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Chimpster wrote: »
    I have a OPOP/Bio Comfort/Kedco unit also.

I have replaced the element once and the photcell once in 3 years. I know the unit inside out at this stage and I have a good handle on how to service it myself.

I hear a new type of element has now been introduced with a supposodly longer lifecyle. These guys are around €25 a pop.

My advice is that you should get it serviced by someone who knows the system, a temp reading of 199 suggests an error with the sensor that clips onto the flow pipe at the back of the boiler.

At current fuel prices I am saving approx €500 a year vs Oil on my 2200 sq foot UFH heated house so it will take another year before I get payback on the extra money I outlayed over an Oil system so the jury is still out on whether it was worth while or not. I suppose there is also the threat that oil will go up in price at least there is a cusion that pellets wont get the same spike.

Just wondering about how long your boiler runs during the heating months - is it running all the time and then is left on when it modulates down to 10%?. Some engineers say leave it on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 groga666

I know this thread is a long time ago but I am having problems with a scotte burner.
    The photocell seems ok compared to past used ones, but the burner is not igniting.
    Igniter has never been changed. How do I get to it and check pls?
    Can I use a firelighter to try and get it going until I get the parts?

I haven't tried it but I believe that if you put a lighted firefighter in the grate and start feeding pellets it will fire up and run away. This will also confirm if your element is burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 groga666

Indeed it does Cantwbr1.... I tried it last night with no probs at all. If only I had known that 2 years ago at Christmas when we were freezing our n**s off!
    Now, where am I to get an element? Am I right in saying there are a few parts... Photocell, igniter, element and fan? Or is the element and ignitor the same thing?

Hi groga666. Delighted to hear that worked for you. I would think that the element and ignitor are both the same (looks like a small kettel element). Although I have a spare element I have never needed to change mine. I have looked at it to check out the procedure and think that it is probably relatively easy. I think that all you need to change is the element itself and there are a number of suppliers for them. If you google wood pellet boiler element you will find them. Best of luck

taish wrote: »
    hey so far i have found this forum very helpful and i was wondering if i can get some help also. our ecologica idro pellet oven gives Hoff message after being on a few minutes. It jumps from 60 degrees water temperature to 80 degree in a few minutes of being on. Then it displays the Hoff message. Can give some advice how to handle this?

Please Private Message with a brief description of the installation, how long the stove is installed, was it working before etc. photos can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Please Private Message with a brief description of the installation, how long the stove is installed, was it working before etc. photos can help.

hey pete just tried to click on your website via your profile link and i got this message

Warning - Visiting this site may harm your computer

We have detected the site you are trying to visit (http://www.ewh.ie) appears to contain malicious code that could be downloaded to your computer without your consent. You can learn more about harmful web content including viruses and other malicious code and how to protect your computer at StopBadware.org.
    Advisory provided by Google

etcetc wrote: »
    hey pete just tried to click on your website via your profile link and i got this message

Warning - Visiting this site may harm your computer

We have detected the site you are trying to visit (http://www.ewh.ie) appears to contain malicious code that could be downloaded to your computer without your consent. You can learn more about harmful web content including viruses and other malicious code and how to protect your computer at StopBadware.org.
    Advisory provided by Google

Thank you for the heads up, the main site was hacked so I have diverted the domain to the contracting side.

The server shuts down hacked sites very fast to prevent any damage to visitors computers, the log reads 1,500 hack attempts from Sweden I can't even imagine the constant pressure a popular site like Boards is under.

All safe once again,

Thank you.

Peter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Lads,
    are we finished doing business?

please keep it offline

thanks

We turned on our Kedco boiler today and there was some kind of explosion in it. My wife heard a loud bang and when she went to investigate there was smoke pouring out of it and the fire-brick/hatch in the top inspection hatch was in pieces.
    1) Anyone got an idea what might have happened
    2) Where can I get a replacement fire brick
    The boiler has been running daily since early October and the only issue has been the pellet feed is not perfect due to the silo shifting during the last feed.

All info greatfully accepted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement