Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow related ghost stories and legends

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

During the 90's 11 of the 64 houses in Askea Lawns

Can you per chance tell me where you got that info from as I'd like to look into that .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

I think the barricks is haunted.

I was sitting there recently and out of the corner of my eye i seen the outline of an old lady.
    She was hunched over with a walking stick and she had a bun in her hair, i thought to myself she was a bit old to be in here and when i looked left no1 was there..

Obviously the barricks buliding has a lot of history but I don't think this old lady woulda been up to much harm!

Any1 kno anythin paranormal with the barricks?

Circlian wrote: »
    During the 90's 11 of the 64 houses in Askea Lawns were noted with the County Council of having complaints about hauntings.

Unfortunately the council dispute this. They say that they dont have anything on record plus they got me in touch with one of the carpenters who used to do repairs in Askea Lawns at the time who assured me if such things had happened, he would have heard of it.

foundry wrote: »
    I think the barricks is haunted.

I was sitting there recently and out of the corner of my eye i seen the outline of an old lady.
    She was hunched over with a walking stick and she had a bun in her hair, i thought to myself she was a bit old to be in here and when i looked left no1 was there..

Obviously the barricks buliding has a lot of history but I don't think this old lady woulda been up to much harm!

Any1 kno anythin paranormal with the barricks?

A lot of people report seeing things out of the corner of their eyes (in general), but really, you can misinterpret things big time that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

thanx for that i am....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Leinster Paranormal are always on the lookout for any apparent paranormal activity in Carlow - if you come across anything, let us know in here .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alex Swan

Is Ducketts Grove haunted, I was out there recently and heard a high pitched voice and the only way I can describe it is that it was a cry of despair,sorrow or pain. Very loud and only started as I entered the grounds of the castle

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The stable yard of the dowager house -Russellstown is most certainly haunted, by a groom.

@ byhookorbycrook - do you have any more info on that? Where is the place exactly?

@ Alex Swan - I havent heard anything definitive about ducketts grove being haunted, but many assume it is as its an old building (I dont get that line of thinking myself)

any info on Russellstown appreciated - I cant find anything on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Id love to go along on 1 of these investigations with that paranormal team...

we dont do a massive amount of investigations a year - maybe about 5 or 6 and most are private. We don't really go down the 'lets visit a haunted castle' route. We might do an investigation around Carlow if we can organise one and we may well bring a few non team members with us. (Ive heard so many firsthand reports about Scraggs but the management arent interested in having us in there).

Theres an idea - if anyone can give us some decent leads, then we'll bring them along. We're interested in debunking as much as anything - for example we visited Shankil Castle on the Kilkenny road and worked out exactly why the gates are cemented shut etc etc. Nothing to do with ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Jesus theres a huge list of storys about Carlow Shopping Center. My father worked there for ages when I was younger. He has told me a load of storys about it over the years about when they where locking up and other storys he heard from people

The two that come to mind right away are:

The last person to be hund (A Women, I forget her name, Im sure my dad knows it if i asked) He was hung for steeling a loaf of breed I believe, and with her last words she cursed the building. The curse was that, When all four (theres four right?) hourses mouths close (The ones outside) fully the building will fall down. Currently there is three fully closes, and one is left open.

The other story is one he saw himself,
    He was locking up late one night with someone else. They had jsut turned off the lights from all the room/Offices whatever else are up above the shops, and as they where about to lock it up they saw one was still one. They decided to leave it and just turn it off in the morning, but when they came in the next morning (First in, only two with keys i believe at the time) The place where the window was had been covered over with bricks, even today you can see the outline of where the window was....

I Can't remember any others, but im sure if i asked he would give me a list of storys....

thats one place we've been in manys a time. some of it we can debunk - cafe le monde for example has a few pretty big mobile masts on top which cause a lot of electromagnetic interference in the attic. Makes people feel edgy etc etc.

We did record a laugh where Seasons gym used to be. Wasnt one of us and no-one heard it at the time. Outside of that though, there doesnt seem to be much going on. Oh aye, we recorded a door slam when we were there with KCLR one night. Heard that same sound once or twice before when we'd been there but couldnt locate it in the centre.

Mister Man wrote: »
    The other story is one he saw himself,
    He was locking up late one night with someone else. They had jsut turned off the lights from all the room/Offices whatever else are up above the shops, and as they where about to lock it up they saw one was still one. They decided to leave it and just turn it off in the morning, but when they came in the next morning (First in, only two with keys i believe at the time) The place where the window was had been covered over with bricks, even today you can see the outline of where the window was....

Now that is strange as a female member of staff of one of the shops told us much the same story word for word, but she claimed she was on her own ...

maccored wrote: »
    Now that is strange as a female member of staff of one of the shops told us much the same story word for word, but she claimed she was on her own ...

Odd....Well my father did security so him, and at least one other would be defo 100% be the last person out of there every night. She wouldn't be aloud in there on her own. Maybe they where up stairs in the security rest room place as they opened the door for when people leave (Locked so people don't come walking in) So maybe see saw the light when she was the last one leaving, until they took a last look around? I believe theres two windows that are covered up now, maybe even three. I remember looking for them

Ill ask him about this story and a few others later tonight see what he has to say

**EDIT** I Believe its agasinst the law to have one one person on there own in a shop/building like the shopping center **EDIT**

I dont want to give away the name of the place in question, but the lady said she was locking up her shop and heading out.

What interests me though is could this be two seperate occasions which means the same phenomena happened twice. Any idea when you dad was working there?

Hmmm.... Could be anywhere between 7-10 Years ago at this stage....

I got the info off the other people concerned - long story but theres a premises in there that closed later than the rest and one night a week they closed up instead of security. It was on one of these nights that four of the staff seen the same light. Any chance you can find out even the year this happened ? It'd be interesting if these were two completely seperate occurances.

Forgot to ask him tonight, ill ask tomorrow see what he says (As to when it was and other storys)

• Advertisement

cool

theres a book being published by historypress about haunted carlow - due out next year. we're looking for any local folklore or almost forgotton ghost stories of carlow if you know anyone who has any. Or indeed, any personal stories of your own.

post them up here or PM me. Tune into KCLR this afternoon (fri) at 4.20pm for more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

When I was a teenager in the 1980's I remember one summer night that there was a big commotion at the rear of the Cattle Mart. I remember there were hundreds of people out from New Oak consoling a girl who said she saw a banshee. It was the height of summer, so it was still bright out even though it was in the evening. I expect that it was just hysteria, but I remember that I enjoyed the drama. Personally, I was always more worried about being bottled by a living person than a ghost whenever I passed through the Fair Green. :eek:

theres a facebook page for the Haunted Carlow/Haunted Kilkenny books if anyone wants to contribute anything - check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunted-CarlowKilkenny/126571677369081

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

When I was a teenager in the 1980's I remember one summer night that there was a big commotion at the rear of the Cattle Mart. I remember there were hundreds of people out from New Oak consoling a girl who said she saw a banshee. It was the height of summer, so it was still bright out even though it was in the evening. I expect that it was just hysteria, but I remember that I enjoyed the drama. Personally, I was always more worried about being bottled by a living person than a ghost whenever I passed through the Fair Green. :eek:

Nearly sure that was one of the Strongs from New Oak Playing a Joke, the whole est thought the banshee was at the fields at the back of New Oak haha! i remember cause i lived in New Oak at the time.

31068_127142647311984_126571677369081_255050_7201419_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Nearly sure that was one of the Strongs from New Oak Playing a Joke, the whole est thought the banshee was at the fields at the back of New Oak haha! i remember cause i lived in New Oak at the time.

I guess back then we didn't need a theatre for our best actors.

On the offchance anyone has heard of these stories - any details appreciated.

1) Some shopkeeper (though not mrs kelly) who used to murder customers in a shop beside Graigue Bridge. Apparently used to throw them in the Barrow afterwards, which was how he got caught

2) Wards Tree out the Sleaty Road. Apparently someone hanged themselves on it and now people see things and animals wont go past it (thats a pretty ancient story that one)

It's amazing to find there isnt much of this folklore in the research part of the library. More stuff about fairies than anything else. If you;ve heard these stories before and have any info, or if you have any old local ghost stories you know yourself, let me know as I've started writing Haunted Carlow.

A quick update:

Any County Carlow related ghost stories or paranormal folklore for the forthcoming Haunted Carlow book, can be sent to us us via our website.

Please pass it on to anyone you might know who has a story to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 itsme83

Im sure if you went down to some of the old folk living down the pollerton road you would get a few good storys!

Advertisement