Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow related ghost stories and legends

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

good call - we are in fact planning on sending out info to a few retirement homes in the area and see if we can stir any interest.

... just a bump btw - obviously always looking out for suitable material for the book.....

Circlian wrote: »
    Also, the section of the rail bridge that overlooks the Staplestown road is also the familiar grounds of a womanly figure that looks down upon the road at dusk/nightfall.

Been hearing multiple stories of a ghostly woman around stapletown road. If anyone ever hears of any such stories, please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clifden Flyer

I have heard reports of sightings of a headless man at the old disused railway station in Gowran, also reports of screaming going up and down the line. I have found an accident on 6th April 1881 mentioned on the web, but there are no details of what happened. No idea if this is connected to it. Does anybody know anything about either ?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

I think it was mentioned earlier but the Shadowlands website lists Scraggs Alley as a haunted place.See link below.

http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/ireland.htm

scraggs though, dont agree. I have heard of staff seeing things, but when we manage to track down a few of the apparent eye witnesses, we found it was more talk and rumour than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

maccored wrote: »
    scraggs though, dont agree. I have heard of staff seeing things, but when we manage to track down a few of the apparent eye witnesses, we found it was more talk and rumour than anything else.

How did the story of it being haunted start ?

no idea. I was talking to one of the bossmen though a while back, and he totally denied any of it. A few friends of my son worked in there and told me some stories, but when I pinned them down on the details things got a bit hazy and I realised they were just recounting stories they'd been told.

Haunted Carlow is in it's finishing stages, so if you have any Carlow based ghost stories to share, then please send them on to hauntedcarlow@gmail.com . Writing should be completely finished by the end of January.

The History Press have put the book up on Amazon for pre-ordering. Granted, they completely spelled my name wrong, but if you want to have a look it's http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunted-Carlow-Cormac-Stain/dp/1845886976

All in all it's looking good though. Surprising number of modern poltergeist stories in the town.

165711_187484041279624_100000540884092_631405_1883004_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

isnt Oak park house rumoured to be haunted by Ghost of DeBruen's Daughter?

• Advertisement

we have some stories on Oak Park alright, but never heard of DeBruen's daughter though. If you hear of anything, let us know ....

heres a bit of blurb for the book from the publishers:

It's easy to think that Haunted Carlow may be of interest only to those from the second smallest county in Ireland. It's a relish to realise therefore, that Haunted Carlow is packed full of spine tingling, first hand ghost story accounts, none of which have ever been published before. Though the stories come from the people of Carlow, they could apply to any place in Ireland.

Even in this day and age, people still fear ridicule when talking about their paranormal experiences, and this collection of stories is the result of exhaustive research and endless niggling and encouragement as Cormac Strain and Danny Carthy relentlessly looked to find the hidden Ghost stories Carlow had to offer.

Digging out those people with a story to tell - a true story that more times as not, hadn't even been told to close friends - the search was long, exhausting but fruitful. Old myths and stories from yesteryear weren't the objective. Finding new, true and as yet untold stories was, and this is something Haunted Carlow has managed to pull together into one collection.

Modern tales of poltergeists in housing estates, phantom voices, ghostly nannies, white ladies and banshees - this isn't the stuff of oft repeated folklore; these are freshly discovered ghostly tales from the people of Carlow.

Just what was staying in Brown Street? Who is the White Lady? What kind of being did some Carlow students unwittingly end up sharing a house with? Just who was that old lady watching over the kids? You'll find the answers within the pages of Haunted Carlow.

Is Carlow Shopping Centre - built on the site of the old Carlow Gaol - really haunted? Find out about the sights and noises people have experienced over the almost two decades since the Centre was opened, and then as we peel back the years, the encounters from before the Centre was built and the land was used as a workshop for Thompsons.

Ideal for the paranormal enthusiast, the local historian, the Carlow diaspora abroad and of course anyone who enjoys a good, scary story, Haunted Carlow suits many kinds of reader. All you need is to remain calm, don't panic and remember it's only a book. Surely these stories couldn't *really* be true? Could they?

http://www.carlowpeople.ie/premium/news/local-ghosts-revealed-in-book-2509504.html - good old carlow people. i think its the nationalists turn next week.

Alright - this book is now finished. It's going to be launched as part of Eigse, with Ciáran O'Keeffe (he wrote the foreword) doing the honours, on June 11th ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=101646226577629 ).

Thank god it's done, thats all I can say.

174599_126571677369081_2044869_n.jpg

tickets are limited to this (less than 100), so if you fancy some free food, wine, some music and the chance grab a copy of the book, accost Ciarán O'Keeffe about all things paranormal, how crap Most Haunted was and catching out Derek Acorah then you'll want to book one asap:

http://www.gbshawtheatre.ie/theatre_more.php#ref-353

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to bounce it just to thank everyone for their participation. Haunted Carlow looks like it will sell it's initial run within it's first year ... which is a good thing as it means it will more than likely make it to a reprint. Its going well and is in libraries worldwide - so cheers for that folks.

Advertisement