Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Athboy - whats it like?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All -

Thinking about a move to Athboy, possibly to rent in Newmans Mill apartments. Have family over in Naven.

Looking for opinions, good or bad, on the place. The village seems to have all the amentities, and looks nice and well kept, but have never stayed in the place.

Also, will be commuting to Dublin - have already taken a spin down Trim - SummerHill - Kilcock onto M4.

Interested to hear from anyone else who is doing something similar.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Hi there,
    I've lived in athboy all my life (I'm a student at the moment so lived in Dublin during the week for the past year) so I know what it's like in both and I wouldn;t recommend Athboy. Newmans mill is a nice place, but in reality apart from some grocery stores there is nothing in Athboy.

Where abouts in Dublin will you be commuting to? The N4 is good for the South side but people generally go the N3 which is chock-a-bloxk in the mornings and evenings.

I'd say you'd be better off in Navan tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

As said above it's really not got that much.
    If your looking for a quiet, small town it's the place for you. It is close to Larger towns for amenities other than McElhinnys or Grocery shops, so it's not like your a million miles from civilisation.
    The commute is not that bad, about an hour to Dublin or so, so it's really not that bad. Roads arn't terrible either and there is a regular enough bus, even more regular from Trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Athboy is the kind of village that's perfect for a family with young kids. But not much else goin on! Navan would be better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Athboy is quite good.The local shops are horribly expensive but don't let that bother you since half the town shops in Newry and Enniskillen anyway. Local post office ( John the postmaster is sound as a pound ), hardware store ( Tim wouldn't be any dearer or cheaper than anyone else but has excellent service ) a butcher's ( Brogans, quite good ), secondary and primary schools in or near the town, two chemists and you can't beat Callaghans pub for a pint with a touch of character.

If you're anyway religiously inclined there's a sizeable C of I parish and the local catholic priest ( Fr. Pat O'Connor ) in my opinion is what a priest should be; involved with the communtiy and genuinly commited to his parish be they believers or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

well now i have to differ with all previous replies..... Athboy depends on what you're into!
    If are young and lively and looking for a crazy pub culture... well ok... its not the place for you!
    If you are interested in sports and social organisations there are plenty!
    Soccer clubs - two i think!
    GAA -bothe hurling and football!
    Scouts - big scout troop!
    Traditional music - comhaltas
    Karate club
    Badminton club
    Macra na feirme
    Atheltics - FR Murphys A.C.
    plenty of places to go for a run....
    a few ok pubs, Waxies for the children, callaghan, Saddlers for the sensible! Floosds for the GAA heads

The town has plenty to do sports wise and are involved actively with a twinned town in France.
    Theres plenty Athboy has to offer

I commute to Dublin every day and it takes and HOur and a half... via TRim (road has improved greatly!)

tell us what you are looking for and let us know....

MG

PS Newmans Mill are nice appartments! Have friends there and they are very happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

athboy is great

the local computer repair guy is 100% genuine and great value

but...

newmans mill is heeeellllllll, the only good thing about it is its near the opticians and the flower shop

i lived there for a year, and you can hear everything in the houses around you

we were unlucky enough to have a crap mother living beside us,

first the baby would wake us crying then the mother would shout things like

"shut the fock up"

which didn't help the baby, or us sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

mukki wrote: »
    athboy is great

but...

newmans mill is heeeellllllll, the only good thing about it is its near the opticians and the flower shop

i lived there for a year, and you can hear everything in the houses around you

we were unlucky enough to have a crap mother living beside us,

first the baby would wake us crying then the mother would shout things like

"shut the fock up"

which didn't help the baby, or us sleep

Mukki, I hope you reported this to the relevant authorities rather than bitching on Boards about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

mukki wrote: »
    athboy is great

lol, let me guess - are YOU the local computer repair guy????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Its got a lot of pubs for a small village, that has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Perfect for Young Families. Very friendly, safe and quiet. We moved here for those reasons. For a single person though I'd say it's far too quiet. Navan a better bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Meathgirl wrote: »
    well now i have to differ with all previous replies..... Athboy depends on what you're into!
    If are young and lively and looking for a crazy pub culture... well ok... its not the place for you!
    If you are interested in sports and social organisations there are plenty!
    Soccer clubs - two i think!
    GAA -bothe hurling and football!
    Scouts - big scout troop!
    Traditional music - comhaltas
    Karate club
    Badminton club
    Macra na feirme
    Atheltics - FR Murphys A.C.
    plenty of places to go for a run....
    a few ok pubs, Waxies for the children, callaghan, Saddlers for the sensible! Floosds for the GAA heads

The town has plenty to do sports wise and are involved actively with a twinned town in France.
    Theres plenty Athboy has to offer

I commute to Dublin every day and it takes and HOur and a half... via TRim (road has improved greatly!)

tell us what you are looking for and let us know....

MG

PS Newmans Mill are nice appartments! Have friends there and they are very happy!

You're forgetting the gunclub, angling club, archery and rugby...

Advertisement