Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tools

Options
  • 08-06-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy the list of tools need for Phase 2 in Fas, just wandering if anyone knows of any places that would do a good deal if buying the lot in one go? Surely the way things are at the minute I could get a good bargin, gonna buy them off the net if not tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you phoned a few tools shops and wholesalers, fax them the list or go into them and get them to quote you a price then try bargain one against the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya make up a proper list but be careful about the quality you might as well spend a bit extra on quality cause they do last longer and they do help you work better and makes it a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

cheers lads, yea have the exact list of stuff i need and will be getting knipex and the best tools so hopefully can get a good bargin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Knipex are good alright. Some people get thier employers to buy the tools and they pay back the employer. That way you get them at trade price and dont have to pay the VAT.

It is always better for employers if thier apprentices are using quality tools, it improves the standard of thier work and they dont waste time looking to borrow stuff. I think people that use good tools and are well equiped have more pride in thier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

m.j.w wrote: »
    cheers lads, yea have the exact list of stuff i need and will be getting knipex and the best tools so hopefully can get a good bargin.

Were you given the list? You probably wont need exactly whats on it. You are better off sticking with good stuff if you plan staying with the apprenticeship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Check out Caulfields in Galway, they stock a fairly good range of tools and are always reasonably priced.

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/files/home1.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

m.j.w wrote: »

If its the list FAS gave you I'd bin it.Some stuff on it you'd never use/need.

The sparks your working with will tell you what to get,Knipex pliers,snips etc and Whia screwdrivers are good I find.Make sure you get the right bending spring aswell though,2 different types,you want the one with the white tip,not the green tip.You'll prob hardly ever use it but you'll need it in FAS

http://ie.farnell.com is a good website and the have a trade counter in Finglas too.

Advertisement