Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank tracker customer problems

Options
  • 08-06-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all. I've been an Ulster Bank customer since I was 16 and now in my 30s. Got a tracker mortgage with them in 2004 and so have benefited from the ECB rate cuts. But in the last nine months, the way I've been treated by a myriad of division at the bank gives me the impression they're keen to get rid of me:)

Since I started getting paid on the sixth of the month last year instead of the end of the month, my mortgage has been going into arrears each month because the bank insists it can only take my mortgage out on the 1st of each month. My local branch arranged for me to open a separate account especially for my mortgage payment to ensure there's enough money there on the 1st of every month for my mortgage. But despite filling out three direct debit forms, Ulster Bank House Mortgages still tries and fails each month to take the money out of my original account. So I ring them every month and get them to "manually" -- their word not mine -- take the money out of my new account. Each month I incur a charge of 12 euro for this. Every month I speak to Ulster Bank House Mortgages, ask for a manager, and ask if they can resolve this problem. I usually get a very nice promise to do so but it never works.

Today, I rang Ulster Bank Anytime Banking, for the telephone banking to find out the balance on my account and figure out which bills I can afford to pay this month. I was told my details had "dropped off the system" because I had failed a security question last time I was on to them. This is correct -- I couldn't remember a password they had given me seven years ago (my memory is not what it used to be). But no one told me at that stage that I couldn't use my telephone banking from then on. So I asked today if I could speak to a supervisor and I was told there was none there today. I kicked up a fuss and demanded to speak to a manager and they put me on to some lad who insisted his name was Neil Armstrong:rolleyes: He said he would send me out a form to sign and my details would return to the system.

My boyfriend, listening to me complain and moan about this for the last nine months, is convinced their treatment of me is a concerted effort to get rid of a tracker mortgage customer. I think that's a bit mad and that I've simply been dealing with a lot of inept Ulster Bank employees who feel slightly irritated by my constant demands they help me out:)

Apologies for the long post but I was wondering if other Ulster Bank customers are experiencing shoddy customer service and if anyone has any suggestions about how to deal with it. Because the Ulster Bank divisions are separated from each other and keep referring me from one department to another, I'm wondering if a strongly worded letter to a group board member or to the financial obudsman would be the right way to go.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Open a formal complaint with the bank first, then give them 30 days to resolve it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wonderwoman

homer911 wrote: »
    Open a formal complaint with the bank first, then give them 30 days to resolve it..

That sounds like a runner. Any idea how I would go about that? I don't think my local branch would handle it right because they've been part of the problem. I'll check the Ulster Bank group website and see if there's any mechanism to file a complaint at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

That sounds like a runner. Any idea how I would go about that? I don't think my local branch would handle it right because they've been part of the problem. I'll check the Ulster Bank group website and see if there's any mechanism to file a complaint at that level.

Ok,

Make an appointment to see the Branch Manager, if there not free then ask to meet the SQA(Service Quality Adviser), every branch has one.

Meet them and explain you woes. If they have done there job prior to that there should be existing Concerns on the system. They clearly have not done this. Tell them you are no longer dealing with anyone else other than them, your not making any more calls to House Mortgages or any other dept.

They should give you there business card and they should log the complaint onto the banks internal system called C&Q. They should then be able to provide you with a reference number, this may be forwarded onto you cause your complaint it long and all of your issues need to be out on to that system.

SQA are responsible with making sure your Very Satisfied with the service you receive and they should make sure that your complaint its dealt with under there own rules. If you complaint is not resolved within a week you should receive a letter stating where there at with fixing your problem and on when they'll next make contact. The level of contact and the time frame is decided by you and they must stick to it, either by phone call or letter..

This whole process will take time until they've either dealt with your concern to your satisfaction or till there is nothing more they can do. When this happens you'll be issued a resolution letter and if your not happy after that you may then go to the obudsman to take your complaint on.

All concerns opened for longer than 10 days gets brought to the attention of the Area Manager, so these things get dealt with very quickly by the SQA, cause avoiding that is a much sought after thing.

If your bothered enough to post your issues online and really want end to your problems then do the above.

On other points raised, they can not change the DD date or Legacy Mortgages, this is what you've got. They should refund all charges in relation to your account going over drawn but only when its related to this matter.

Lastly, the bank is not trying to get rid of you. Historically UB HM are dreadful to deal with. Which is why you should direct your problems via your branch.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wonderwoman

Thanks so much for that detailed reply! I've been at the end of my tether about this every month I get a letter from Ulser Bank House Mortgages. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I switched my mortgage from Ulster Bank last year because I couldn't deal with their ineptness any longer. Simple things like getting a statement required several phone calls and a strongly worded letter before I got anywhere with them. I was lucky that I was able to switch to a tracker at a better rate than I had with UB, but obviously it's not in your interests to move from a tracker right now. I have to say that my experience with them jhas meant that I'll never deal with them again and I usually advise other people not to even consider them for a mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

WOnderwoman...i can only empathise with you on this.

Outline your concerns to their customer service department and ask for a FINAL RESPONSE letter from them.

If this is not acceptable lodge a formal complaint with the financial ombudsman

Keep everything in writing...no more phonecalls/ personal meetings with staff. They can deny all conversations then / lose telephone recordings (i have personal experience with both and loss of documentation from a 'sister' company)

and best of luck..you will need patience and lots of it!!!

Advertisement