Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay as you go phone - has not been used since Aug 2007

• 08-06-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Probably a simple question

I live abroad and have VodaPhone 087 pay as you go phone that i purchased way back in 2001 and just use when I travel to Ireland.

Usually go back to Ireland once/twice a year and it works fine as soon as you get off the plane. Phone and SIM have been replaced/upgraded a couple of times since 2001.

This is the longest time since have not been in ireland and I suspect the phone no longer works since it was not been used in so long (last usuage would have been Aug 2007)

What is the deal here? Will it work? I am really only concerned about the mobile phone number itself as I need to give out a contact number in Ireland before I travel.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

After such a long period of non-use the number has probably been recycled. The best thing to do is contact Vodafone and ask them. If you're out of the country the cheapest way is probably by email to readytogo@vodafone.ie. They'll be able to tell you if you can reactivate the SIM / number but it's unlikely.

Otherwise most networks provide free SIMs now. It'll be hard to get the number in advance though unless you know someone here who can buy it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dazzerb wrote: »
    What is the deal here? Will it work? I am really only concerned about the mobile phone number itself as I need to give out a contact number in Ireland before I travel.

Any ideas?

After 12 months the number would be put back into the bank of numbers. The chances of you getting back that number are slim to none. Do you know anyone that can get a sim for here? They could pick up the sim for you, email you the number so you can pass it on etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Thanks Random - I just sent an email to readytogo@vodafone.ie and I will post the results of my query.

Thanks again

"Unfortunately the number has been disconnected from the Vodafone
    because of lack of usage. A number goes deactive if it has not been
    topped up in 12 months, but it can still be reconnected within an
    18month period from its last top up. Unfortunately this number has
    been disconnected and cannot be retrieved."

Time to get a new SIM then. When are you coming over?

• Advertisement

Jul 17th for 3 weeks.

Problem is that I would like the number in advance as an emergency contact number for work/alarm/dog boarding/etc...

No biggie as will probably just use my USA phone instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Contact vodafone and explain the situation. They normally just ship to ROI but if ask they may offer something for you. You could purchase the sim, but arrange for yourself to collect it when you land, but they could tell you the phone number of it in advance.

Email contact

Or

http://forum.vodafone.ie

Following on from what Davy said .. do you know anyone over here? Get them to get you a free SIM and register it in your name. Then when you get here get a replacement SIM (Vodafone shop in arrivals in Dublin Airport) and you'll have the number up and running right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ebay would be the place to look.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Ebay would be the place to look.

ah great idea - ebay.ie lots of new SIMs available! Going that route. Tried vodaphone and they only ship with Ireland.

Again thanks everyone.

• Advertisement

I got a O2 SIM via ebay.ie.

All setup and working and ready for my trip. I am now able to give everyone my phone number in advance.

Thanks everyone for your help

Advertisement