Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

government scheme

• 08-06-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have heard recently that the government have brought out a new policy for graduates on the dole. If I am on the dole and I cant get a job that I can get a company to take me on but they only pay me a very minimal amount and I will continue to get dole? Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I haven't heard anything to that effect in the news, tbh... :/
    Where did you hear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mollyluv

I heard it on the radio and also a few people have said it to me.maybe i was wrong i just wanted to check it out anyways....would be great!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

They have a Graduate scheme in the UK. Maybe people were hopeful something similar would be introduced here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'm sure your college should know about that scheme, it would be criminal for it not to. ;)

I fear that the graduate scheme that you are talking about is competitive and it may not suit every discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Have not heard of this. I know the government announced 1000 free posgrad places this morning.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0622/education.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gisawear

I went into Fas on the 8th of June to apply as I wanted to be one of the first. It was a good thing I'd printed it up as the receptionist didn't know what I was on about and then neither did the employment officer.

The result was that they couldn't take my application as they have no way to process it yet but I am down on some post-it as having expressed an interest...

Could someone tell me why they announced the programme if there is no structure in place yet for it to work?!

My opinion is because this is Ireland and they wanna bring the good news before the reality. Just ring FÁS on a weekly basis. Or the government offices until you get something concrete.

Hi, found the link on FAS:

http://www.fas.ie/en/About+Us/News/pressReleases.htm

Ready in the Times on Sunday that only 106 of the 2000 places have been taken up.

Will try and get more information on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Is this only for graduates, or can it be taken up by students who need to pay for their degrees?

Is this only for graduates, or can it be taken up by students who need to pay for their degrees?

Was in FAS today in Wexford. They have no information regarding the Work Placement Programme. My interest was recorded by writing my name in the back of a ledger!!! So much for a centralised registration system.

The impression I got was they expected it to die a quiet death as firms have to rregister interest with FAS but if they have let go people they cannot have 'free' graduates.

I think it is only for graduates but there is no way of knowing until u pester them to show you the details of the scheme which they do not have!

It seems if you have a degree then as far as FAS are concerned you have all your getting and leave them alone! :mad:

• Advertisement

In my experience, with FAS, while I do not want to point a finger, it can sometimes depend on who you talk to and how persistant you are. Take that as advice if you are looking to get funding.

Good news! Was in FAS today and they finally have a system in place to record the interest of candidates. They said the will likely advertise the scheme to notify companies but there has been little interet so far.

Dealing with FAS should qualify people for a free afternoon in the pub! They really have no idea what is going on.

There was announcments on this today. Contact Dept of Education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

From my research you have to be on the dole 6 months before being eligible for a position.

I've been looking for a software/it related job since June and only had 1 interview so far :(

I read the specific article with specific details but the Dept of Educations website is down... wtf?

I have it saved in work, will post later.

As far as I remember, you need to be on the dole for six months, and if you get a job while on the course you need to pay for it yourself etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shorty72

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing or not but the Govt are running a training scheme at the moment for PostGrads. Basically you can either be on the dole for 6 months or just been made redundant. The govt will pay for I think 2,500 and you are responsible for the remainder which I believe the max is 500. You can draw job seekers benefit while you do the course. Check out the various universities websites they should have info posted on it. Ta

Course list can be found on:

http://www.hea.ie/en/node/1285

or

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=165

Applications to be made directly to the colleges or universities in question.

Those I contacted were snowed under with requests but the information is now available on the websites. If you have any trouble, ring the admissions office. I am applying for 2 courses in case one is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

I went into a fas office last week when i heard about this scheme. Th lady told me that you could only apply if you were 6 mts or more on Jobseeker's Allowance. If you were on Job seeker's benefit you did not qualify:mad::mad::confused::confused:.
    The program is a 6mth intern ship with a possibility of full time job thereafter. The jobs are listed on the fas website every so often, so look out.
    The lady told me that if you are on Job seeker's benefit you could apply to a company for a 7 week placement. The company has to pay you meal and travel expenses however when the 7 weeks are up fas will refund them this money. You will be paid you current social rate for the 7 weeks.

I hope this helps

Advertisement