Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC or Eircom

Options
  • 08-06-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Okay, I've decided to drop Irish Broadband as their 4 meg Breeze connection has become completely unreliable and their tech support say I will have to switch to DSL. Eircom DSL seems a better option and maybe more reliable. On the other hand UPC offer much faster speeds but I'm still at the mercy of a Wi Fi signal as I'm in a rural area. Which is the best option for reliability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can only get broadband off UPC if you are able to get their TV service. if you're that rural then you probably aren't anywhere that is wired for Chorus/NTL/UPC cable TV so you won't be able to get it.

you can put in your phone number on the UPC website and it will tell you what services they can offer you (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

According to their line check I can get BB/phone and TV.
    I checked with eircom and Irish Broadband today and the max speeed I can get is 3 Meg. I presume the phone line in no way effects the speed I can get from UPC?
    Still back to the question, which is most reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JTD.Vapour

UPC is a far better broadband provider. When i had eircom, i was disconneccting 10+ times a day (literally). Now im not saying they are 100% unreliable, but for me they are. Iv had nothing but bad experiences with them. I have switched to UPC and never looked back. Good luck.

-VaPz

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Gel wrote: »
    According to their line check I can get BB/phone and TV.

Mine said the same but turned out no BB in my area....you'll need to ring to find out for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

yeah i had the same result, i sent an email asking for a call from a sales rep about getitng TV & Broadband and i got a very short response saying they don't provide broadband in my area, no mention of the TV, and twice int he last week we've had notes left for us from a UPC engineer trying to come and do an install, the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

vibe666 wrote: »
    you can only get broadband off UPC if you are able to get their TV service.

True but a small note to say that just because you can get their TV service, doesn't guarantee you can get their broadband. Regardless of what their website/area checker says.

Best to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

JTD.Vapour wrote: »
    UPC is a far better broadband provider. When i had eircom, i was disconneccting 10+ times a day (literally). Now im not saying they are 100% unreliable, but for me they are. Iv had nothing but bad experiences with them. I have switched to UPC and never looked back. Good luck.

Just to complicate matters, I've had exactly the opposite experience to this. Was with UPC, hopeless connection, took me an average of 20 mins to get through to tech support and when I eventually did I was given a standard fob off or told someone would call me back which never happened. Switched to Eircom and have had much better reliability and the only time I did call them it took me less than 1 minute to connect and I got a proper answer from the tech.

Advertisement