Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of purchasing the Nokia E51

• 08-06-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im thinking of buying a nokia E51 and from all the reviews online I have read, it seems like a really cool phone. But theres just one thing thats throwing me off a bit. Does it look a bit old fashioned? Like if you had that out in the pub say on the table, would people say "nice phone" or just give it a quick glance???lol. I know it sounds silly but in this world, style is everything. I understand that it is a business phone so it's obviously not going to be absolutely dazzling but just wondering if any of you own one and what are your impressions of it?????

Thanks very much for reading, I appreciate all replies :)

p.s- Please also let me know how good the phone is for texting, pictures, video e.t.c..........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you want a good working phone, or one that people will go WOW at?

I think it looks well with the silver and black, i would say 'nice' rather than 'wow'

It will do they job though, texts, calls, videos etc.

If you want something more wow you will have to spend more buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaylad

Hi Davy,

Yeah thats what mean, I dont want people to go wow, I just want it to be a nice looking phone and not old fashioned. I definitely agree with you there, the chrome and black is the nicer colour alrite.

Thanks for reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have an E51 and find it very good for what it's mostly used for - namely calls, texting and email, with some light web browsing.

I don't care about cameras on phones so I can't really comment there but it's ok to my untrained eye. It also navigates through menus fairly quickly (which the N95 I had didn't) and doesn't freeze/cause random problems.

As for the looks, I prefer the "candy bar" style myself anyway and the LED in the top corner to indicate new messages is handy if the phone's on silent.

I'm probably gonna change to/add a 5800 at the end of the month though so the E51 will move to work usage (currently served by a 6233)

Hi Kaiser2000,

I think thats the comment I was looking for. Thanks a million.

Going to buy it on the 15th hopefully but knowing my luck meteor wont have the chrome/black version lol.

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Old fashioned? are you stone mad? what makes it look old fashioned?

Just because it has buttons and doesn't look like it was designed by Fisher Price doesn't mean it's freaking old fashioned

also the red one looks a bit nicer than the others. but kind of hard to find, you'll have to go on ebay or get from some online thing

818_1.jpg

• Advertisement

towel401 wrote: »
    Old fashioned? are you stone mad? what makes it look old fashioned?

Just because it has buttons and doesn't look like it was designed by Fisher Price doesn't mean it's freaking old fashioned

also the red one looks a bit nicer than the others. but kind of hard to find, you'll have to go on ebay or get from some online thing

Hi Towel,

I was looking at second hand black coloured ones online and they look very grubby from being used which is why I used the phrase "old fashioned".

Im going to buy it anyway but going to go for a brand new chrome & black one.

Galwaylad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Hey Captain Morgan,

Ya the wifi was definitely the main thing that drew my attention to the phone. Thanks for commenting. All feedback greatly appreciated.

818_1.jpg

Is that meant to be red? Looks bronze but the black/chrome looks much better imo.

Do you just like red? Didnt you post about the E63 in red? :pac:

Davy wrote: »
    Is that meant to be red? Looks bronze but the black/chrome looks much better imo.

Do you just like red? Didnt you post about the E63 in red? :pac:

yea i like red phones :) i'm thinking of buying a knock-off red housing for my E51.

i'd get the E63 in red or E75 if they allowed you to bypass their worthless 'Nokia messaging' proxy

• Advertisement

Hi Davy,

I have to agree with you there. The chrome/black one is the sexier looking colour lol. And yes that is bronze, not red. :)

yea i like red phones :) i'm thinking of buying a knock-off red housing for my E51.

i'd get the E63 in red or E75 if they allowed you to bypass their worthless 'Nokia messaging' proxy

Id pay a little for the software if i really wanted the phone. Reds not my colour tho :p

Op, meteor should have it in chrome, if they dont it can be gotten online.

Cheers Davy :)

Id pay a little for the software if i really wanted the phone. Reds not my colour tho :p

still hoping they'll change it so you can access the mail servers directly. although i dont care for the interface of Nokia Messaging either. apparently there is a way to get it direct but i must test this on the e51 and wireshark it

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I have it in black and I think its looks a lot nicer in the silver colour.
    I personally want to change my phone but can't get the upgrade yet.

The camera is ok, I had better on older phones.
    No games on it which I miss although you can download.
    Other than that everything is fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sorry for thread spoiling, but on e63 the messages are not going through the nokia messaging proxy. You can setup a normal email acct and have everything saved the credentials saved on the phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

E51 is a great phone, slim, light and great features. Changed to 5800 as I was going to doing a lot more emailing and surfing where the E51 is let down a bit by the small screen

Cool thanks lads :)

Advertisement