Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda VF500

• 08-06-2009 8:04pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a very clean one for sale. Any views on these bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Great bikes, Hondas from this era were some of the best made and finished ever.
    The 500 V4 was a different engine to the 750s just as well because the 750cc machines had a lot of hassle with premature camshaft wear.
    If the bike is in good nick and the price is right buy it. Cruisers aren't my thing but if you like 'em then you have no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Are these the shadows??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Magnas - avoid, parts are scarce and they're fragile if not serviced regularly and top grade oil used (not as bad as the 750) but you need to be sure it was looked after it's whole life (hard to do with a bike that age).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

There not supposed to be a bad bike but need minding,,,.

I have one of these broken for parts (engine,loom, frame and tank gone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

interceptor or magna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Tigger wrote: »
    interceptor or magna
    Same engine afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

if it's one of these, it's collectable, and if good, buy it !

http://motoprofi.com/bikephoto/388/honda_vf_500_f_2_1986_2.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

In Enniscorthy by any chance? If yes, I know the bike and it is a minter. I drove it on the IOM in 1989 and couldn't believe how good it was over my RD350 (silly me).

They are a great bike, the suspension dynamics are a bit dated and the tyre/wheel choice means the handling won't be to everyones taste. A very capable, reliable classic with plenty of spares and (relatively) simple maintenance.

I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver, it is very comfy and cheap to run, but a pity to put huge miles on it.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

The guy that organises the Culchie Festival in Ireland has been organising a Honda 50 record breaking attempt for a number of years
    http://www.culchiefestival.com/info/honda.htm
    They get 100's of bike at the venue.
    Apparently some are offered for sale there.
    My memory of the Honda 50 is an aged farmer using it to travel his farm and take it to the pub at night.

ji wrote: »
    Same engine afaik

nope

same basic structure the interceptor has different oil galleries
    feed the head better

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    if it's one of these, it's collectable, and if good, buy it !

http://motoprofi.com/bikephoto/388/honda_vf_500_f_2_1986_2.jpg

thats the interceptor

nice bike and will hold its value

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In Enniscorthy by any chance? If yes, I know the bike and it is a minter. I drove it on the IOM in 1989 and couldn't believe how good it was over my RD350 (silly me).

They are a great bike, the suspension dynamics are a bit dated and the tyre/wheel choice means the handling won't be to everyones taste. A very capable, reliable classic with plenty of spares and (relatively) simple maintenance.

I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver, it is very comfy and cheap to run, but a pity to put huge miles on it.

'cptr

Bike I saw is in the UK. Thanks for the advice however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Bike I saw is in the UK. Thanks for the advice however.

Cool, thought you were talking about this one Clicky

'cptr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cool, thought you were talking about this one Clicky

'cptr

One I'm thinking about is similar, but priced a lot lower :D

Advertisement