Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple apps

Options
  • 08-06-2009 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi guys, anybody ever experiment with apple apps? Do you need a mac to start programming and is the development environment expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Shane_C wrote: »
    Do you need a mac to start programming

Yes. People will tell you can hack it to run on a PC but it isn't worth the hassle and no guarantee it will work forever. (hacked version of Mac OSX).
    and is the development environment expensive?

It's free (XCode).

Language is Objective-C and is a very nice language. If your familar with C/C++ or Java you should find it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

A lot of development seems to be done in the Xcode IDE. You get can the latest version here. This IDE is Mac-only though.

If you're developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform, Objective C seems to be the way to go.

Edit: beaten to it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Installing OSX on a pc isn't that difficult these days and its just as stable as anything else. I recently did it there and haven't had any problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Anima wrote: »
    Installing OSX on a pc isn't that difficult these days and its just as stable as anything else. I recently did it there and haven't had any problems so far.
    True but it should be stated that this is in violation of the EULA and, unless the situation has improved somewhat, some updates can potentially break the installation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I love XCode although I admit that I found Objective C a bit hard to learn at first: I still do a lot of scientific programming in MATLAB (and increasingly Python) but there's lots of ways you can link Objective C to C, C++, Python and other languages. So you could in theory do a fair bit of code re-use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement