Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable USB external hard disk reliability

Options
  • 08-06-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all

The title says it all really. I've had a desktop external hard disk for a couple of years but am running out of capacity, so I'm looking at upgrading to a portable external disk - the usb powered variety. I've heard mixed reports of their reliability, with some people saying they are trustworthy and others saying they aren't? Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

no but they might be slower if they are based on laptop hard drives at 5400rpm rather 7200rpm

suppose you'd have more chance to move it around and damage it that way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

5400rpm vs. 7200rpm isn't so clear-cut when you bear in mind the reduced platter size, fewer platters and fewer moving parts (plus the over-engineering of 2.5" HDDs to coincide with the more rugged requirements of their target market).

And all this is irrelevent as any USB or FireWire connection will end up being the great leveller in this debate. See what USB does to maximum possible transfer rate? :P

Advertisement