Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxers tail

Options
  • 08-06-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me why people/breeders cut the tail from the boxer when there young??:confused:
    Was looking at a boxer today and she had the normal length

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I don't honestly know why they did it originally but I believe it became part of the breed image to dock the tail - a practice which is now banned thankfully! (An exception to this is certain working/hunting dogs I think?). I must say I've had to go back and look at some dogs a second time that I've seen with a full tail for the first time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

As far as I know (and I'm open to correction here), it originated in parts of England when pet dogs were taxed as luxuries but working dogs weren't. To differentiate between them, working dogs had to have their tails docked. In order to avoid tax, a lot of owners of pet dogs had their tails docked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its not banned in ireland, only in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

andreac wrote: »
    Its not banned in ireland, only in the uk.

My apologies, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No prob:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I like Boxer's with docked tails. I was talking to a man recently who told me his long tailed boxer is always bashing it off things in the house and it ends up bleeding. this has been discussed in a previous post.

Advertisement