Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commission & Bonus Pay

Options
  • 08-06-2009 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is it ok for a company to cease commission/bonus pay without notice just leaving you on your basic pay?
    Work for smallish company and some items are being sold at a loss (at their request), others at profit.
    Should i not be paid commission on items sold at profit?
    I mean they ceased payments without telling any of their staff and have yet to inform them of it in the last 5 months..
    Ths surely cant be legal?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A bonus is just that, a bonus, it doesn't have to be paid.

Commission I've yet to deal with on a legal basis so can't really answer that one.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the contract you signed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Nody wrote: »
    At the end of the day it all comes down to the contract you signed etc.

yep if the commission rates are mentioned in your contract then you are entitled to the pay based upon what's in the contract.

same goes for a bonus i would think. if it's written down you are entitled to it as per the terms of the contract, but a bonus is normally individual/departmental/organisational performance related so if your department or the company as a whole are doing bad then bonus pay may be reduced to reflect this or even not paid at all if the company is making a loss.

Advertisement