Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test in 3 days, but no car!

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Right, I have my test in 3 days, was meant to have gotten my own car at the weekend but that fell through and now I've no car. Since I can't hire a car and can't borrow one where I am now.

I am wondering if there are driving schools who would hire they're cars out in such cases?

Im doing my test in Cork city, but I'm from up the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'm sure you could get an instructors car but it would be nearly cheaper to hire one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I'm sure you could get an instructors car but it would be nearly cheaper to hire one out.

It may be cheaper but read this condition from one of the top car rental companies, I'm sure all rental companies will have something similar in their terms and conditions!

"Driving Licence

Drivers must produce a full valid non-endorsed driving licence at the commencement of rental that he/she has held for at least two years. Customers with a new Photo card Driver's Licence must produce both the Photo card and its paper counterpart. Visitors from overseas must produce a driving licence issued in their country of permanent residence, along with a translation into English (where appropriate). Only the renter or drivers approved by *******(company name removed) are permitted to drive the vehicle."

So probably your only option is to hire a driving instructors car for the test and this way you will have proper insurance cover and a properly maintained car! I would imagine you would need to book a pretest lesson and car use for the test, I cant see an instructor who doesn't know you handing over his car / insurance policy to you not knowing if you can actually drive. I can recommend an instructor in Cork who offers his car for the test, if you require one let me know via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

+ don't forget a rental car would not have L stickers etc which would be an auto fail I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

And be sure to now the 'in's and out's' of whatever car your using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uselessdriver

thanks for the advice guys, think I'll postpone it, I'd expected to have these last few days driving around the routes in my own car. I was in contact with a few schools but they hadnt anything available for me.

Advertisement