Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to help cat get in/out of house.

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Strange question!

Will be moving house and once my cat has acclimatised to his new surroundings etc. I will be letting him outside during the day. He really would be miserable without his little trips outside, but he comes home often to eat and sleep. The back garden and area is safe however the kitchen window which is at the back of the house by the garden is frosted, and the kitchen door is not see through, so we won't see and probably won't hear him asking to be let in, (can't get a cat flap). He could come to the sitting room window at the front of the house to be let in but I'd rather he stayed in the back, and I'd also rather he could get in on his own in case no one was around.

So... The window of my bedroom on the bottom floor at the back of the house opens at the very top only, so is about 5 or 6 feet from the top of the bed on the inside of the room, and about 8 feet from the ground on the outside of the house. It's the kind that pushes out. Could I build some sort of ramp or stack up boxes so that my cat can get in the window but not out, or could I drape material through the window hanging down on both sides so he could climb up it in and out the window? The window is like this but the bottom panel is much longer. Awning%20Push%20out%20Bathroom%20Window%20with%20Pinhead%20Obscure%20glass.jpg

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is confusing, and ridiculous (!!!!!) Hope I made sense!!! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

You could try using some boxes/fruit crates something like that for him to climb onto, and then do some little practice sessions with the cat, like you could (this is going to sound mental but might work:D) dangle some food on your side of the window out to him and he'll straight away get up on the boxes and in the window, he'll then probably use that window as his door, sorry all I can think of at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'd say just stack up some boxes, your cat will have no problem getting in or out then. Is there any reason why you can't put a cat flap into your back door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

The cat should be able to get in and out through the window once it knows the way ... mine have no problem hopping on the window sill and from there on into a window just like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Thanks for the suggestions! If I turn it into a game I'm sure he'll figure it out, it's just that the window opening is so high I don't know how he'll balance once he jumps up but sure he can use one or two of his lives :p I'll try stacking boxes up by the window as well. Can't get a cat flap because it's a rented house and the backdoor is solid wood and over 100 years old so wouldn't go down well with the landlord!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

How about a bit of a ladder, like they have on cat trees? You could easily cobble something together with a few bits of wood and maybe some hooks to hook onto the open window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement