Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Umaga released

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

flahavaj wrote: »
    Watch this space. f4wonline.com has news of a new round of drug testing in the next week, with a list of guys who are likely/possible to be off TV having already been given to creative in advance of a new rash of suspensions.

Probably explains at least in part their putting the gold on Punk at this time as well.

That is Big news. I'm amazed that this type of situation still exists. I know WWE's manic schedule and the desired look is a good portion of the blame but nothing is worth doing the drugs that have harmed so many guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Watch this space. f4wonline.com has news of a new round of drug testing in the next week, with a list of guys who are likely/possible to be off TV having already been given to creative in advance of a new rash of suspensions.

Probably explains at least in part their putting the gold on Punk at this time as well.

Is it wrong that when I read this I immediately began to feel worried for John Morrison?:(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that when I read this I immediately began to feel worried for John Morrison?:(

That depends, if he is on TV this week then he is unlikely to be caught up in it. As creative would leave him off tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If it's a wellness thing for steroids then he wants a good slap. A John Cena type physique would be almost impossible without steroids, for Umaga it would just take a helluva lot of food.

Can't say I'm too sorry to see him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I guess he could be off to join his cousin and lose some weight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_March#Participants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd say we won't be seeing anymore pothead Brian Kendrick anytime soon either. :pac:

Pure speculation on my part but would the sudden end to Orton's title reign and their eagerness to put it on an injured Batista, despite it making no sense at all be wellness related? It wouldn't be unlike young Randall to have f*cked up yet again in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

amacachi wrote: »
    If it's a wellness thing for steroids then he wants a good slap. A John Cena type physique would be almost impossible without steroids, for Umaga it would just take a helluva lot of food.

Can't say I'm too sorry to see him go.

wellness covers all controlled substances not just roids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

rossie1977 wrote: »
    wellness covers all controlled substances not just roids

I know yeah, that's why I specified steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

C-B-G wrote: »
    I guess he could be off to join his cousin and lose some weight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_March#Participants

S.H.I.T! I had forgotten all about that.

• Advertisement

Wellness violation confirmed.

World Wrestling Entertainment Terminates Performer

As reported on WWE.com on Monday June 8th, 2009, WWE Superstar Umaga (Edward Fatu) has been released from his World Wrestling Entertainment contract. However, consistent with the practice of announcing wellness policy violations, it should be noted that Umaga’s termination was due to his second violation of the WWE Wellness Program and his subsequent refusal to attend a rehabilitation facility.

http://corporate.wwe.com/

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/10492878

If that is true and I don't see why it would not be, then Umanga has nobody to blame apart from himself.

If that is true and I don't see why it would not be, then Umanga has nobody to blame apart from himself.

IF it is untrue WWE will have a lawsuit on their hands.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    IF it is untrue WWE will have a lawsuit on their hands.

Uh I agree it has to be true. Its a pity we wont get to see Taker vs Umanga though.

Uh I agree it has to be true. Its a pity we wont get to see Taker vs Umanga though.

That is a pity. I always liked Umaga's in ring work.

The odd thing for me is he wouldn't do rehab. I know he was injured so maybe pressure was put on to get healthy, this could lead to taking something he shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I had just started to like him aswell! The best bigman in the WWE. Big Show and Kane were great years ago but not now, Knox might be good if pushed properly and the less said about Kozlov and that other fellow whos name escapes my mind right now the better.

Its Umagas own fault though if what the WWE said is true (and I have no reason to believe its not), thankfully Punk got his win back against him before hand though!

• Advertisement

Dumb schmuck always came across like he had an attitude problem. He got himself into a bar brawl while working for the company when he was one half of three minute warning, now he's refused assistance into his drug related issues.

Good riddance, seeya in TNA in six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Dumb schmuck always came across like he had an attitude problem. He got himself into a bar brawl while working for the company when he was one half of three minute warning, now he's refused assistance into his drug related issues.

Good riddance, seeya in TNA in six weeks.

Never stopped your career-long Jeff Hardy fandom.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's a bit odd of them to delay the announcement of the failure

Fozzy wrote: »
    It's a bit odd of them to delay the announcement of the failure

It is odd. I don't think they ever released anyone for refusing to go to rehab since the wellness policy started. The sun or some other gossip site I was reading suggested they were initially unsure if they could release the info or not.

It is odd. I don't think they ever released anyone for refusing to go to rehab since the wellness policy started. The sun or some other gossip site I was reading suggested they were initially unsure if they could release the info or not.

But he failed a test, which they knew about before the weekend, and they only announced it days after he left the company, which goes against what they say their policy is

On a related note, the Observer this week says that creative were given a list of names not to use starting from next week. Some are big names. The obvious assumption is that they're wellness suspensions, although creative have never been given advance notice on that before

• Advertisement

But he failed a test, which they knew about before the weekend, and they only announced it days after he left the company, which goes against what they say their policy is

On a related note, the Observer this week says that creative were given a list of names not to use starting from next week. Some are big names. The obvious assumption is that they're wellness suspensions, although creative have never been given advance notice on that before

But it was only his 2nd violation. I thought you go on your third.

So the non use of the wellness failures starts next week. I thought it started straight away. I guess we will know next week whats going on.

The Sun had an article on Umanga.
    MAGA was fired by the WWE for failing a drug test and then refusing to go to rehab, The Sun can reveal.
    The company terminated the grappler's contract after he violated their Talent Wellness Program for a second time.

Although not falling foul of the WWE's 'three strikes and you're out' rule, Umaga's unwillingness to get help was the reason for his release.

Vince McMahon's wrestling group sent SunSport a statement that said: "As reported on WWE.com on Monday June 8 2009, WWE Superstar Umaga (Edward Fatu) has been released from his World Wrestling Entertainment contract.

"However consistent with the practice of announcing wellness policy violations, it should be noted that Umaga's termination was due to his second violation of the WWE Wellness Program and his subsequent refusal to attend a rehabilitation facility."

The delay in announcing the drug test failure was due to the unusual nature of Umaga's termination.

The company currently names all those suspended for breaking their tough rules over steroids and painkillers, but they needed to review the policy in the case of someone being fired in this situation.

Umaga had been feuding with new world champion CM Punk. He was also being primed for a series of matches with The Undertaker later this year.

The Samoan Bulldozer's profile has been removed from WWE.com and he has not been added to the Alumni section.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/2476291/WWE-fired-Umaga-for-failing-a-drug-test-and-refusing-rehab.html

Never stopped your career-long Jeff Hardy fandom.:pac:

Unfair comparison as Jeff had a lot more of a career to throw away when he refused to test in 2003 then Eddie Fatu did. And as much of a Jeff mark as I am (something i never denied), even i can acknowledge and admit his TNA run was fugly as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

And as much of a Jeff mark as I am (something i never denied), even i can acknowledge and admit his TNA run was fugly as hell.

That Swanton at BFG '05 was insane though and he had a good gimmick match or two with Abyss so it wasn't all bad.

That Swanton at BFG '05 was insane though and he had a good gimmick match or two with Abyss so it wasn't all bad.

I couldn't get into it at all, and i watched it again there about three months ago.

By it do you mean his run with TNA as a whole?

By it do you mean his run with TNA as a whole?

Yeah, sorry...
    Anyway, back on topic and on to Umaga, how long before we see him in TNA?

I'd say once his no compete ends in 90 days. He'd be an interesting fit into Joe's Nation of Violence storyline, whether opposed to or with Joe.

I'd say once his no compete ends in 90 days. He'd be an interesting fit into Joe's Nation of Violence storyline, whether opposed to or with Joe.

Provided Umaga doesn't end up replacing Joe completely if Joe is unfit. Wouldn't exactly be a suitable replacement, but it'd certainly jumpstart a career for him with the promotion.

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea if Joe is out long-term but where would that leave Tazz?

• Advertisement

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea if Joe is out long-term but where would that leave Tazz?

The token midget?

The part that you bolded was WWE's explanation for the delay. But it doesn't make sense if they're following the policy the way they say that they do

There was a gap between WWE finding out about the test result, Umaga refusing to go to rehab, them releasing him, and their announcement of the failure. If they're following their policy then it should have been announced as soon as Umaga was informed of it

No big deal though, it's already obvious that they treat the policy more as an annoyance than something helpful

That wellness policy has been very bendable and fits to suit different talent.
    Fozzy, you suggesting they're using wellness as a scapegoat in this case?

That wellness policy has been very bendable and fits to suit different talent.
    Fozzy, you suggesting they're using wellness as a scapegoat in this case?

No, I don't think so. I just think that they weren't too pushed about following the letter of the law and wanted to take their time in sorting it all out before making an announcement. I agree with their decision, if a guy is refusing rehab after a second failure then they can't just bring him back in when his suspension's up

No, I don't think so. I just think that they weren't too pushed about following the letter of the law and wanted to take their time in sorting it all out before making an announcement. I agree with their decision, if a guy is refusing rehab after a second failure then they can't just bring him back in when his suspension's up

From a business standpoint, the company were probably up to their snot between injuries, comebacks, the fiasco with the arenas etc. I'd agree with their decision too, but for a publically trading company, it's bad form to delay info like that from its shareholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

It'd be interesting if guys like Cena, HHH, Taker, Jericho etc were caught for this.... i think that there'd be a cover up. Don't see WWE suspending the likes of HHH or Cena for Wellness Violation:D

Degag wrote: »
    It'd be interesting if guys like Cena, HHH, Taker, Jericho etc were caught for this.... i think that there'd be a cover up. Don't see WWE suspending the likes of HHH or Cena for Wellness Violation:D

Said it before a few times, and will say it again.
    CM PUNK FOR WELLNESS VIOLATION! :D

Said it before a few times, and will say it again.
    CM PUNK FOR WELLNESS VIOLATION! :D

Lol, i'd say if Punk was ever caught for it, Vince would go to town... totally humiliate him. Something tells me the Vince aint a huge fan of being straight edge.

Degag wrote: »
    Lol, i'd say if Punk was ever caught for it, Vince would go to town... totally humiliate him. Something tells me the Vince aint a huge fan of being straight edge.

What told you that? The way he treats* Punk?

*Two WHC reigns, Intercontinental Title run, 2 MITB victories, ECW championship run, Tag Team champ, Allowing him use his development contract in a storyline while leaving ROH, the fact he was allowed wrestle for ROH while under said contract when there was a big storm....

• Advertisement

What told you that? The way he treats* Punk?

*Two WHC reigns, Intercontinental Title run, 2 MITB victories, ECW championship run, Tag Team champ, Allowing him use his development contract in a storyline while leaving ROH, the fact he was allowed wrestle for ROH while under said contract when there was a big storm....

Nah, not really. Vince has employed plenty of wrestlers and given them far bigger pushes than Punk even if he doesn't necessarily like them. I'm just thinking of the Vickie situation the last night on RAW.... Vince is the vindictive kind of guy that would play on such a situation that i mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The token midget?

/takes deep breaths and counts to 10

That time when Punk returned to ROH for one night wasn't given the ok by Vince and he got mad about it. It was Dreamer who told Punk that it was ok, but he hadn't cleared it with Vince properly

And to think that those two are the two main champions in WWE today :pac:

That time when Punk returned to ROH for one night wasn't given the ok by Vince and he got mad about it. It was Dreamer who told Punk that it was ok, but he hadn't cleared it with Vince properly

And to think that those two are the two main champions in WWE today :pac:

Something about lunatics and asylum...

Advertisement