Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C'wood oven extractor fan - bl**dy builders

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have been cooking quite a few steaks recently and I now have a mark on the ceiling above the cooker.

This confused me as the extractor hood/fan is between the oven and the ceiling so this evening I decided to investigate. It turns out that the extractor hood/fan is connected to nothing and the mark is basically grease from my cooking that instead of being extracted outside has been thrown directly on to the ceiling. Yuk.

The room fills with smoke when I cook the steaks, so much so that I have to open both back doors. Now it all makes sense. My extractor is of no use.

Is there anything I can do about this?, is the extractor connected in other C'wood (or Charlesland) houses? Have a look above your extractor and see if you can see a pipe. I guess that the extractor unit is supposed to extract to the vent I can see out of my back bedroom window (I am in a 2 bed terrace) on the lower roof. But how the heck do I connect it up, I will need to open the ceiling in the kitchen and hope the pipe is there!

Any assistance appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

is the extractor connected in other C'wood (or Charlesland) houses?
    Often not from my experience.

I have worked in many houses in Charlesland and I have been shocked by many of the things the builders have done! The standard is a joke at times.

The good news is you can replace your extractor with one that does not need to vent out. You need to change the filters quite a bit, but they work quite well. You can buy them here:

Hafele, Kilcoole Industrial Estate, Co Wicklow
    Tel: 01 287 3488

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Skelly88

I had exactly the same problem in the Grove, you need some tubing which you can pick up in any builders' providers and a couple of brackets to secure it to the extractor fan & the grill on the wall. Not a big job but annoying to think the builders didn't bother to do it........

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'd also check the connection of the pipe to the vent in the attic. Ours wasn't connected and was just pumping everything into the attic.
    Also, the attics in the 2 beds aren't 100% sealed between houses so I had a problem where I could smell the neighbours cooking from their attic!! I've had to seal the gaps using insullation the builder had left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

From memory I don't think the cooker hoods and their location in Charlesland Wood are meant to connect to anything. In ours there is no ductwork, I replace the charcoal filter periodically.

FirstIn, it sounds like the builders started doing all the work for normal extract but didn't bother to look at the mechanical layout plans (which probably there were none) and didn't realise that there wasn't suppose to be one!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Thank You folks,

From what I am reading I am best to replace the filter in the unit and take it that there is a good chance that there is no extraction using pipework to the outside possible. (unless I run/hang pipes the length of the kitchen ceiling, but that would be very unsightly)

I do wonder what the vent on the back roof is meant to do? Also the extractor unit is definitely setup to have a pipe attached. Perhaps I could build a box to cover this outlet and fill it with filter mesh!

I will give Hafele a shout and see what they can do.

I think astrofluff you are right, the left hand didn't know what the right one was doing in regard to some of the building in our houses! Or as I have heard before "there was a lack of joined up thinking!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

In my past experience, these hoods are dual purpose, and should be either ducted externally or used with charcoal filters if not an option to duct.

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer (look under the mesh filter above hob) to get the correct filters and it should solve the greasy roof problem!! get 2 sets so at least you will have a spare cos it really depends on how many full irish breakfasts you fry as to how often the filters need to be changed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

hi FirstIn,

The extractor fans typically installed in The Wood are Recirculators - they aren't supposed to require venting to the outside. This is obviously complete rubbish. I also have problems with staining on the ceiling.

If you have the same type of hood as me, an Elica 127EGR, then I'm sorry but there's not a lot you can do about it!

You can try taking down your grease filter (a wire mesh) and cleaning it, but it's honestly only a matter of weeks before it's saturated again. I was talking to the distributor, they recommend a WEEKLY clean in a dishwasher.

The Elica distributor is http://www.kal.ie/contentv3/

You can buy a replacement charcoal filter from them for, apparently, €5.33 at their trade counter:
    Hi

The following price includes vat , thanks

Cf3 €5.03

Regards Dáire Errity

trade-counter kal

01-4136400

If you don't have an Elica, maybe give these guys a call with the model and part number?

Advertisement