Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign currency lodgements

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I know my bank couldn't sell me certain currencys before and they're closed now so can't call to see so hoping someone might be able to help me.

I have some foreign currencys I'd like to lodge to my current account.

Would I be correct in assuming the bank will let me lodge these even if they don't sell them in the branch?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Random wrote: »
    I know my bank couldn't sell me certain currencys before and they're closed now so can't call to see so hoping someone might be able to help me.

I have some foreign currencys I'd like to lodge to my current account.

Would I be correct in assuming the bank will let me lodge these even if they don't sell them in the branch?

Thanks

You cannot lodge Foreign Currency into an Irish Euro Bank account. They can buy the currency and give you Euro for it.

They should accept most but not all currencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Well to answer my own question ... I asked someone to go to the bank for me today and lodge the moneys. They wouldn't take the currencys that they don't sell.

No harm done though :)

Well to answer my own question ... I asked someone to go to the bank for me today and lodge the moneys. They wouldn't take the currencys that they don't sell.

No harm done though :)

Which currency, you might find some larger branches take it..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You cannot lodge Foreign Currency into an Irish Euro Bank account.
    Yes you can. You can have foreign-denominated Irish-located accounts. Sterling-denominated accounts are perfectly common here.

Which currency, you might find some larger branches take it..

RUB - Russian Rubles. Apparently you're not supposed to leave Russia with them ... or something. Anyways, no worries .. not rushing to lodge them as it's only a few euro.
    Victor wrote: »
    Yes you can. You can have foreign-denominated Irish-located accounts. Sterling-denominated accounts are perfectly common here.

In my case lodging into my account involves me going up to the counter and them lodging them as euro. If it's quiet they'll usually just do it there and then and not fuss about going to the foreign exchange window and back and forth.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

I did not say you could not have foreign currency accounts in ireland, AIB will let you have GBP/USD/PHP/SGD/HKD/JPY/AED/SAR/ZAR/NOK/DKK among others.

I say your could not lodge foreign currency into a EURO account.

RUB - Russian Rubles. Apparently you're not supposed to leave Russia with them ... or something. Anyways, no worries .. not rushing to lodge them as it's only a few euro.

Make friends with a Russian person and give/trade them the money ...

Might buy meet one online :)

Advertisement