Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing the Slaney

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anyone have any reccommendations on good locations etc... Also flies to use... I'll be fishing for brownies and possibly sea trout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

For Sea Trout .................

stick to the old reliables like Teal Blue and Sliver, Bloody Butcher, Alexandra ( If you can get the type with jungle cock tied in as eyes all the better), Clollie Dog, Black Pennel, Butcher, Kingsmill Butcher.

Brownies alot depends on (1) dry fly fishing.... (2) wet fly fishing...

I wouldn't be an expert on Brown Trout Fishing...They're like rocking horse dropping's up here, Maybe Coolwings or some of the other guys can help you with Fly selection on that point.... Only advice on it would be, Low water levels , small Flys. So be prepared to go to a size 14 or 16....

Hope this Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Hi,
    From between Rathvilly and Tullow all the way up to the glen of imaal is free fishing. No sea trout up that far though.
    There is good brown trout fishing between Baltinglass and Rathvilly
    For dry fly fishing a small brown sedge is the most successfull for me from this time of year until the end of season. Greenwells glory, Ginger quill, coch a bundu, Black Gnat and grey duster are also flies I wouldnt go without. Size 14 and 16. You can go up to a size 10 with the sedge as it gets darker. A hares ear nymph fished under a big sedge or daddy is very good too. The trout average around 3 to the pound.
    For wet flies, they arent too fussy. Most of the spider patterns work well(sizes 12,14 and 16). The local popular fly is the Kill Devil spider(soft brown hackle, a third of the hook wrapped with peacock herl, ribbed with oval silver and the other two thirds wrapped with silver tinsel). another good spider has a black hackle and a red tinsel body. Both worked well for the seatrout too before we stopped fishing below Tullow when it was closed for salmon and sea trout above 40 cm. When the water is coloured a wingless wickhams fancy is deadly. A wet sedge also works well fished across and down as it gets dark on a warm summer evening.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭padolicious

Thanks for the help lads

Advertisement