Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing games on hard drive will prevent RROD?

• 09-06-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

hey everyone has anyone of you guys always installing games to your xbox 360 hard drive is this safe and could be better for the life span of your xbox 360 and prevent rrod? coz i haven't tried this yet due to im always playing different games all the time and i can't install them all coz i don't think they will all fit on 60 gb... and last question if you install your game to your hard drive can you still delete them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

You can delete them no problem first of all. I'd recommend you install any games you find yourself returning to frequently or that you play online. Nothing can prevent RROD but installing them is of benefit to prevent it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

niallon wrote: »
    You can delete them no problem first of all. I'd recommend you install any games you find yourself returning to frequently or that you play online. Nothing can prevent RROD but installing them is of benefit to prevent it alright.

How do you install games on the HD? Any good "how to install/delete off the hard drives" that someone can point me toward? thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

crisco10 wrote: »
    How do you install games on the HD? Any good "how to install/delete off the hard drives" that someone can point me toward? thanks.

You will need to have the latest updates installed:

http://www.examiner.com/x-544-Games-Examiner~y2008m11d19-How-to-install-Xbox-360-games-to-the-hard-drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its easy to do (as long as you have 6-7gb free)

On the "My Xbox" menu, highlight the game (first slot on the menu) and press the Y (yellow) button for the option to install.

You need to have the new xbox dashboard installed (the NXE dashboard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just keep in mind that for some games - Halo - you are suggested NOT to install it. But so far that is the only one I can think of as saying this.

Also makes it a bit quieter (ok not by much); anything to keep the engine roar down :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

it wont stop the red lights nothing. will.. Ive heard two mates of mine this week got the red lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Mr E wrote: »
    Its easy to do (as long as you have 6-7gb free)

On the "My Xbox" menu, highlight the game (first slot on the menu) and press the Y (yellow) button for the option to install.

You need to have the new xbox dashboard installed (the NXE dashboard).

yeah. got NXE. Sweet, think I'll be doing that with FIFA, ALWAYS playing it. I assume you still need the disc in the drive though to prevent piracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

crisco10 wrote: »
    yeah. got NXE. Sweet, think I'll be doing that with FIFA, ALWAYS playing it. I assume you still need the disc in the drive though to prevent piracy?

Yes, you do. It checks the disc when first loading the game (not sure if it does periodically after that) and then, everything is loaded from the HDD. It really makes the Xbox a whole lot quieter, which is the best part of installing the games to the HDD really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

J-blk wrote: »
    It really makes the Xbox a whole lot quieter, which is the best part of installing the games to the HDD really...

Is there any other benefits of installing on hard-drive? I guess its quicker reading from HD than it is from disk? Would it be better for online play to prevent lag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

animaX wrote: »
    Is there any other benefits of installing on hard-drive? I guess its quicker reading from HD than it is from disk? Would it be better for online play to prevent lag?

Lag is more to do with connection speed, bit for most games the loading times are a good bit faster. Think I read somewhere that they're actually longer for Halo 3, though I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

halo3 is designed to stream quickly so hdd install is slower.

i had some glitches with pgr4 after installing it to hdd; removed it and back to normal.

crackdown wont install iirc.

120gb hdd isn't big enough; had to start removing games for new ones i got :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

animaX wrote: »

Like Amacachi said, installing to the HDD will do nothing about online lag - that's entirely down to your connection, the server you're connected to, etc.

For the vast majority of games, especially the ones released after the NXE update, the HDD installation will reduce loading times - for some significantly (GTA and The Orange Box are two notable ones, as they are donkey slow loading from the disc), some not that much (but I still install them as the drive spinning drives me up the wall) and others not all (though Halo 3 is the only one I've heard about that is suggested to not be installed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got my RROD when playing Geometry wars... So while installing it may reduce the internal heat, RROD is still pretty much unavoidable. If it happens, it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

i already installed my gears 2 and from what i observe the bottom or the back of the disk drive is not getting more hot than when not installed and some glitches are gone maybe this may actually help to save the lense from getting broke and abit less stress for the console...

add me up lads :D

gamertag:
    jomz27.png

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

If you want to prevent the RROD, you should place the Xbox 360 in a very cool area, and that's about probably the only prevention measure. If you've had the Xbox 360 less than three years, I'd bite the bullet now and try the towel trick to force the RROD and send it off to Microsoft to fix it, instead of trying to prevent it.

i just only bought it 4 months ago i got a falcon chip 175 watts manufactured date: august 16 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

jomz27 wrote: »
    i just only bought it 4 months ago i got a falcon chip 175 watts manufactured date: august 16 2008

I wouldn't quite put Bill O'Heirly's house on it but it's probably a safe bet that the fix is in your model. So relax and live easy, until you find out about the E67 problem.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite put Bill O'Heirly's house on it but it's probably a safe bet that the fix is in your model. So relax and live easy, until you find out about the E67 problem.

ari cheers mate! :D

Advertisement