Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Garmin 765t in Cork?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

We are going on holidays this weekend and I want to get a satnav before I go. I've decided on the Garmin 765t but don't have time to buy online.

Does anyone know where in Cork I could pick one up? I've seen other Garmin models but not this one.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Harvey Norman's - they seem to have a lot of garmin
    Halfords -
    Argos - quick check of the catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

Thanks for that.

Spent yesterday reading reviews and decided against the 765t as it seems to have a tendancy to malfunction.

In the end I went for the 265WT for 225 euro in Halfords. It dosen't have some of the functions of the 765t but then it is 130 euro cheaper. Harvey Norman do have it at €379 also in Currys for €350.
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

That's a good price - I just ordered the same model from Satnaveasy £178.25 - not much different when you factor in the postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

yellabelly wrote: »
    That's a good price - I just ordered the same model from Satnaveasy £178.25 - not much different when you factor in the postage.

Sure keep then British in jobs why don't you..............

garydubh wrote: »
    Sure keep then British in jobs why don't you..............

Is that relevant to this discussion ?

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    Is that relevant to this discussion ?

Supporting the Irish economy is always relevant and critical to the survival of many these days................. or do you not think so yourself?

Supporting the Irish economy is always relevant and critical to the survival of many these days................. or do you not think so yourself?

I think it is a silly comment - people will buy from the Irish store at a similar price but are no longer prepared to be pay the massive mark ups we so often find. The advice from the Irish consumer association is to shop around and drive competition.

In any case Irish owned stores do not usually sell the "T" models as the feature has no value in Ireland.

yellabelly wrote: »
    I think it is a silly comment - people will buy from the Irish store at a similar price but are no longer prepared to be pay the massive mark ups we so often find. The advice from the Irish consumer association is to shop around and drive competition.

In any case Irish owned stores do not usually sell the "T" models as the feature has no value in Ireland.

Two points for you:

1. You obviously did not shop around as you admit that the same price as you paid in the UK was available here

2. Irish owned stores do stock the T models - perhaps you believe that Irish drivers do not drive on the continent?????

............................................Silly you said????!!!!!!!

Everyone wants to moan about the loss of jobs in Ireland but most believe that it is not for them to make any effort....

so buy in the UK (even though the same price and local support is available here) - complain about the number of Irish on the dole and then ring Irish suppliers to get support when the English bought SatNav goes wrong........

Two points for you:

1. You obviously did not shop around as you admit that the same price as you paid in the UK was available here

2. Irish owned stores do stock the T models - perhaps you believe that Irish drivers do not drive on the continent?????

............................................Silly you said????!!!!!!!

Everyone wants to moan about the loss of jobs in Ireland but most believe that it is not for them to make any effort....

so buy in the UK (even though the same price and local support is available here) - complain about the number of Irish on the dole and then ring Irish suppliers to get support when the English bought SatNav goes wrong........
    So the only competitive price in Ireland is from a UK company who I would have considered had my online research picked them up. In fact I bought my last unit there. Silly because it has gone so far off topic.

Traffic models are less common over here. Possibly due to retailers being lazy with stocks and probably due to the fact that we don't have a TMC service in Ireland so Mr Taxi and Mr VanMan don't see the need to buy them. Those who travel "to the continent" for 3 weeks a year probably don't see the need either.

Absolutely. Use your EU rights to contact the relevant supplier in your own country for support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Seemed a little dear to me but I understand you were in a hurry to get it. I purchased the 265WT in Halfords just across the border for £169 or something like that a few months ago.

Traffic models are less common over here. Possibly due to retailers being lazy with stocks and probably due to the fact that we don't have a TMC service in Ireland so Mr Taxi and Mr VanMan don't see the need to buy them. Those who travel "to the continent" for 3 weeks a year probably don't see the need either.

Absolutely. Use your EU rights to contact the relevant supplier in your own country for support.

Seems people are just promoting opinions as if they were facts on here.

1. Jasonw opened the thread looking for a 765T - there are no 765's so any supplier with 765's in stock in Ireland has the T version as there is no alternative. And there are many stocking the 765T in Ireland and in Cork as sought - sorry that your opinion is not correct.

2. You are a bit confused about your rights - warranty support is from the manufacturer facilitated by where you bought it. Want support from anywhere else you have to pay for it - suppliers do not work for the manufacturer - sorry that your opinion is not correct on this either.

So when Jip bought in Northern Ireland supporting her Majesty's Coffers a few months ago he bought it at a better exchange rate than now. However, Sterling £169 is currently equal to Euro 206 approx. Jasonw bought it for Euro 225. The Euro19 difference is easily accounted for in the price of fuel getting across the border, the cost of the card used or exchanging Euros to Sterling and having a local number to call if there are any issues to be resolved.

Lets just talk in facts - shall we..... it is as cheap to purchase a SatNav in Ireland as anywhere else (need to shop around of course!) and no Irish SatNav supplier has to support you if you did not purchase from them!

Off topic maybe but correcting some of the naive and incorrect opinions offered previously.

Seems people are just promoting opinions as if they were facts on here.

1. Jasonw opened the thread looking for a 765T - there are no 765's so any supplier with 765's in stock in Ireland has the T version as there is no alternative. And there are many stocking the 765T in Ireland and in Cork as sought - sorry that your opinion is not correct.

2. You are a bit confused about your rights - warranty support is from the manufacturer facilitated by where you bought it. Want support from anywhere else you have to pay for it - suppliers do not work for the manufacturer - sorry that your opinion is not correct on this either.

So when Jip bought in Northern Ireland supporting her Majesty's Coffers a few months ago he bought it at a better exchange rate than now. However, Sterling £169 is currently equal to Euro 206 approx. Jasonw bought it for Euro 225. The Euro19 difference is easily accounted for in the price of fuel getting across the border, the cost of the card used or exchanging Euros to Sterling and having a local number to call if there are any issues to be resolved.

Lets just talk in facts - shall we..... it is as cheap to purchase a SatNav in Ireland as anywhere else (need to shop around of course!) and no Irish SatNav supplier has to support you if you did not purchase from them!

Off topic maybe but correcting some of the naive and incorrect opinions offered previously.

Are traffic models less common over here ?

Yes.

Are satnavs as cheap in Ireland as online ?

No.

Are satnavs as cheap in any bricks & mortar as online ?

Doesn't seem so.

Does a supplier have to help ?

Yes. If that supplier is the mandated service agent for the brand in question and the product has an EU warranty.

Is a shop the supplier ?

No. The shop is the retailer.

Are retailers and vested interests spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt ?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Blah blah blah. How do you know I wasn't passing by anyway, which I was, so there was no additonal fuel costs to my journey. And if I did have any problems a phone call to a landline in the UK is free with most landline providers these days. And it doesn't matter what country I bought it in, I'm covered by the manufacturers warranty. You have issues that you need to resolve.

Are traffic models less common over here ?

Yes.

Are satnavs as cheap in Ireland as online ?

No.

Are satnavs as cheap in any bricks & mortar as online ?

Doesn't seem so.

Does a supplier have to help ?

Yes. If that supplier is the mandated service agent for the brand in question and the product has an EU warranty.

Is a shop the supplier ?

No. The shop is the retailer.

Are retailers and vested interests spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt ?

Yes.

On Traffic Models - where are you getting your figures - are you in the business or is this just another opinion? - anyhow the point was that they are available in Ireland not how popular they are!

"Are Satnav's as cheap in Ireland as online?" - so you are saying that there are no online suppliers in Ireland and they do not have competitive pricing - there are many online suppliers here and as is the case everywhere there are good prices and bad - but no reason you won't get something for the same price here as in the UK. I have already identified a comparative price only marginally different because less advantageous exchange rates now apply.

Never mind your Supplier/retailer mumbo jumbo - the places you buy your satnav in the highstreet or on line in Ireland are not working under contract for satnav manufacturers - they are not service agents - so if you did not buy from them you cannot expect support warranty or otherwise. So when you buy make sure you can contact your supplier again to help solve your problems because any local Irish business with SatNav's in stock is under no legal or other pressure to help you!

As for fear, uncertainty and doubt - think you have your threads mixed up - please let us just stick to the facts.........

If you have some concern for unemployment in Ireland or the country's future then please do not just assume that Parsi said it so it must be correct and that everywhere else is cheaper than Ireland - check out Irish suppliers (online and onstreet) first - give Ireland a chance - and sure if there is none cheaper then buy where ever you want but make sure you factor in transport costs, cc or dc costs, currency exchange costs associated with looking for support outside Ireland. (e.g mailing your unit back to the supplier outside Ireland so that they can facilitate sending to the manufacturer for warranty support)

Jip wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How do you know I wasn't passing by anyway, which I was, so there was no additonal fuel costs to my journey. And if I did have any problems a phone call to a landline in the UK is free with most landline providers these days. And it doesn't matter what country I bought it in, I'm covered by the manufacturers warranty. You have issues that you need to resolve.

Nobody said you were not covered by warranty - but the fact is that no shop or online store in the Republic who sells SatNav's has any responsibility to help you to get your warranty rights as Parsi suggested - you will at least have to send the unit back to where you bought it at your own cost.

No issues and no consumer misinformation just some facts!

On Traffic Models - where are you getting your figures - are you in the business or is this just another opinion? - anyhow the point was that they are available in Ireland not how popular they are!

Actually the point in question was that traffic models weren't as popular and therefore didn't have as much availability in Ireland.

Never mind your Supplier/retailer mumbo jumbo - the places you buy your satnav in the highstreet or on line in Ireland are not working under contract for satnav manufacturers - they are not service agents - so if you did not buy from them you cannot expect support warranty or otherwise. So when you buy make sure you can contact your supplier again to help solve your problems because any local Irish business with SatNav's in stock is under no legal or other pressure to help you!

.... costs associated with looking for support outside Ireland. (e.g mailing your unit back to the supplier outside Ireland so that they can facilitate sending to the manufacturer for warranty support)

More fear, uncertainty, doubt.

I've bought a fortune of electronic gadgets and gizmos over the years. Some online from Irish stores, some online from non-Irish stores. Some from Irish bricks 'n' mortar stores and some from foreign bricks 'n' mortar stores.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've only had to return 4 items for service:

- a camcorder bought online from the Uk which had to be sent to the Irish repair centre which was in Cork. The same centre that I would have had to send it to if I bought it in Cork.

- a Swatch bought in Austria. Had to send it to the repair centre in Dublin. Same as if I'd bought it in Cork.

- a sat box. Bought online from Germany. Had to send it to the manufacturer in Germany. Postage costs refunded.

- a DVD recorder bought in Cork. Had to send it to the manufacturer. Costs refunded.

So wherever you buy, if the item is in warranty you'll end up sending to wherever the designated centre for Ireland is. Buy an Apple anywhere and you have to send it directly back to Apple. Electronics are sealed items - your local retailer won't be much help for a warranty repair. The best they'll do is send it off for you and thus add more time to the process.

If retailers want to fight for business - fight honestly and openly for valid reasons.

Nobody said you were not covered by warranty - but the fact is that no shop or online store in the Republic who sells SatNav's has any responsibility to help you to get your warranty rights as Parsi suggested - you will at least have to send the unit back to where you bought it at your own cost.

No issues and no consumer misinformation just some facts!

That is misinformation - you can send it to the designated service centre for Ireland. Just like if you bought it locally. The costs are often refunded .This could even be 2 mins down the road.

Actually the point in question was that traffic models weren't as popular and therefore didn't have as much availability in Ireland.

More fear, uncertainty, doubt.

I've bought a fortune of electronic gadgets and gizmos over the years. Some online from Irish stores, some online from non-Irish stores. Some from Irish bricks 'n' mortar stores and some from foreign bricks 'n' mortar stores.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've only had to return 4 items for service:

- a camcorder bought online from the Uk which had to be sent to the Irish repair centre which was in Cork. The same centre that I would have had to send it to if I bought it in Cork.

- a Swatch bought in Austria. Had to send it to the repair centre in Dublin. Same as if I'd bought it in Cork.

- a sat box. Bought online from Germany. Had to send it to the manufacturer in Germany. Postage costs refunded.

- a DVD recorder bought in Cork. Had to send it to the manufacturer. Costs refunded.

So wherever you buy, if the item is in warranty you'll end up sending to wherever the designated centre for Ireland is. Buy an Apple anywhere and you have to send it directly back to Apple. Electronics are sealed items - your local retailer won't be much help for a warranty repair. The best they'll do is send it off for you and thus add more time to the process.

If retailers want to fight for business - fight honestly and openly for valid reasons.

You previously very clearly claimed that local suppliers could pick up the pieces for goods under warranty bought outside Ireland. This is incorrect - and there is no service centre for SatNav's in Ireland - so all the waffle above is irrelevant - again no more than misinformed opinion and deductions.

You stated that "T" versions were not stocked in Ireland - I highlighted that this was incorrect not least because some units only come in the "T" flavour - now you are on about popularity instead!

You are just confusing readers with your argument - and essentially promoting the idea that there is no reason to buy a SatNav in Ireland and now you have introduced a question about retailers' honesty - where are you going with this - no - stop I do not want to know.... I am done with you.

You don't have to buy in Ireland but don't right the idea off just because of Parsi's misinformation before you even look......

That is misinformation - you can send it to the designated service centre for Ireland. Just like if you bought it locally. The costs are often refunded .This could even be 2 mins down the road.

There is no "designated" service centre for SatNav's in Ireland - any more misleading assumptions?

• Advertisement

You previously very clearly claimed that local suppliers could pick up the pieces for goods under warranty bought outside Ireland. This is incorrect - and there is no service centre for SatNav's in Ireland - so all the waffle above is irrelevant - again no more than misinformed opinion and deductions.

I stated that the supplier/maufacturers agent looks after repairs. As - for example - in the case of Sony. If you look at a lot of servie documents the distributor (not the retailer) provides the local guarantee service (or has appointed anagent). Notice I said "a lot", not "all".
    You stated that "T" versions were not stocked in Ireland - I highlighted that this was incorrect not least because some units only come in the "T" flavour - now you are on about popularity instead!

I stated "Traffic models are less common over here. Possibly due to retailers being lazy with stocks and probably due to the fact that we don't have a TMC service in Ireland so Mr Taxi and Mr VanMan don't see the need to buy them. Those who travel "to the continent" for 3 weeks a year probably don't see the need either."

I'll presume that was hazy recollection rather than a falsehood on your part.

garydubh wrote:
    There is no "designated" service centre for SatNav's in Ireland - any more misleading assumptions?

Your point being ?

That blows your "buy local or else you'll have to send your unit away" argument out of the water. As I said that it made no odds where I bought my kit - some items had repair centres in Ireland and some didn't.

If you wish to promote shopping in Ireland use genuine arguments and not scaremongering. Some auld lad who comes into the shop may be scared that if he doesn't buy from you he'll have to send his failed satnav away little realising that if he does buy from you and it fails it will still have to go away for repair.

Please come clean - are you a retailer or some other vested interest eg distributor ?

Advertisement