Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50 REASONS FOOTBALL IS EMBARRASSING...

• 09-06-2009 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

written by a 17 year old toffee but he is right yanno.....;)

[http://everton.rivals.net/News/pgArticle.aspx?artid=12998_5364449&id=33]

Being only 17 I can't confess to knowing what football was like in the "good old days" as some pundits probably wouldn't say, but here is 50 reasons why the modern game is at times embarrassing.

1) Gareth Barry joining Manchester City for "silverware"
    2) Manchester City £100 million offer for Kaka
    3) Wayne Bridge - £12 million
    4) Damien Duff being made out to be a hero for staying at Newcastle and trying to get them promoted. nothing to do with the £60,000 a week then?
    5) Roasting
    6) Ashley Cole being insulted by Arsenal's contract offer of only £65,000
    7) Ashley Cole being married to Cheryl Cole
    8) Ashley Cole in general :D
    9) Sky Sports coverage of transfer deadline day, "Breaking news coming in all the time to us, the latest being that Scunthorpe have had a bid for an unnamed Darlington player rejected"
    10) Charles Itandje's behaviour at the Hillsborough memorial
    11) "Come and get me" pleas
    12) Andy Van Der Meyde's drink spiking incident
    13) Ryan Giggs winning player of the year
    14) Newcastle fans
    15) The top 4
    16) Football pundits
    17) "The winner of this weeks competition is Mr Johnson from Cornwall, and he's chosen to see a Liverpool/Manchester United game"
    18) Christiano Ronado being tackled and having a snide kick out on numerous occasions
    19) £12 for a programme at Wembley
    20) Playing music after a team scores
    21) The calls for Martin Taylor, to be banned for a bad, but not deliberate tackle
    22) Being booked for "over-celebrating"
    23) Amir Zaki's behaviour at Wigan
    24) Jeremie Alliadere having an 8 bedroom mansion at 19
    25) The pool dubbing us "bitter" if we mention Dossena might have been a slight waste of money or other such obvious observations
    26) Just knowing that when Lampard scored that Chelsea would never concede
    27) Players who kiss the badge one day, then say in Sunday newspapers they are living in a nightmare
    28) Alexander Hleb "To move to Arsenal is a dream come true"
    "To play at the Nou Camp has always been a dream of mine"
    "Bayern Munich is a special club, their interest in me is a delightful honour"
    29) Songs about players kids. Not on at all.
    30) Christiano Ronaldo interviewing himself on Sky Sports news
    31) Reclaim the Kop campaign
    32) Fellaini Wigs
    33) That Torres song or variations thereof
    34) Big **** off earphones and hand held Louis Vuitton bags (guaranteed to be found worn by at least one player as they enter the dressing room) 35) If the ball strikes you on the hand anywhere on the pitch, it is always a free kick. But if you are inside your own penalty area, it has to have been deliberate, otherwise the award of a penalty is deemed 'harsh'. 36) 50-50 challenges resulting in whoever wins the challenge conceding a free kick
    37) Drogba/Ballack arguing over a free kick a few years ago
    38) Ricardo Fuller v Andy Griffin
    39) Arbeloa v Carragher
    40) Kieron Dyer, a man who has spent more time injured than actually playing, listed as having a fortune of £18 million
    41) When the physio is brought on the player treated must walk off the pitch before being waved back on
    42) Player being caught at least five yards offside yet still shaking their heads/wagging their finger at the linesman
    43) Players wearing long sleeve thermals underneath short sleeve shirts
    44) The FA's allocation of Cup Final tickets
    45) Football Manager
    46) Saturday lunchtime kick-offs
    47) The idea of having 6 home-grown players per starting 11
    48) The Carlos Tevez affair
    49) Ronaldo throwing a strop after being subbed with the game already won and an important title decider 3 days later
    50) Ben Thatcher's tackle on Pedro Mendes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

How does Football Manager make Football Embarrassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Voltwad wrote: »

obv he cant beat the game and is bitter:D

good list though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I agree with almost all of it apart from football manager :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

chips1234 wrote: »

good list though

It's tough alright, what's embarrassing is when people take control of a second club and take all their money for their own team.

I'm not talking about Sheffield Utd here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Where's Phil Brown's ear piece/head set and his stupid ****ing goatee and sunbed tan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Thread should be retitled "50 Reasons why the EPL is embarrassing".

All of that nonsense doesn't apply to the football that I watch every second week in the Showgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Voltwad wrote: »

i assumed the "Well Ibrahim Bakayoko is a football manager legend, so I hope we sign him in real life" type of talk football manager has brought to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I swear to Jesus if this thread descends into a PL vs LOI pissing contest I'll ban every last one of you.

All of that nonsense doesn't apply to the football that I watch every second week in the Showgrounds.

I thought a booking for 'over celebrating' (taking top off, entering the crowd) was standard in football. Also thought any player receiving physio treatment having to leave the pitch was also a standard in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would broadly support this if it wasn't for Dessie Baker's multi-coloured boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Players wearing pink boots because "they have always liked the colour and wanted to be the first player to wear pink boots"

bendtner.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plastic flags for all.
    Everton groundsharing with Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

12) Andy Van Der Meyde's drink spiking incident

What was this one?

*edit* i have read it on his wiki, he claimed his drink was spiked apparently in city centre bar in Liverpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_van_der_Meyde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As for number 6, the inital offer was a mere £55,000 so Ashley was right to be insulted by such a miniscule offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Football Manager is embarrassing in the way totally clueless tools, even if they are trying to be funny, come out with lines "Ah yer man Carlos Kickaball is bleedin' deadly in FM, they do some great research them lads do, so this fella must be brilliant in real life".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Also thought any player receiving physio treatment having to leave the pitch was also a standard in football.
    I assume he meant that if they are injured how could they walk off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

legs11 wrote: »
    written by a 17 year old toffee but he is right yanno.....;)

chips1234 wrote: »

good list though

:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Des wrote: »
    Football Manager is embarrassing in the way totally clueless tools, even if they are trying to be funny, come out with lines "Ah yer man Carlos Kickaball is bleedin' deadly in FM, they do some great research them lads do, so this fella must be brilliant in real life".

Didn't a couple of premeir league clubs sign a deal with sports interative to use extended capabilities of their Football Manager database to track players?

Can't really be that embarrasing so?

Also the fact that football management seems to operate in an utterly obverse way to normal business appointments: once you get to certain level of experience, repeated failure doesn't preclude you from big positions.

But in all fairness Des, Carlos Kickaball is a world class player.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Didn't a couple of premeir league clubs sign a deal with sports interative to use extended capabilities of their Football Manager database to track players?

Can't really be that embarrasing so?

Everton did.
    Maybe that's why he's embarrased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

In fairness Football Managers database is really accurate for a computer game.

Tonton Zola Mokoku anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Another one I hate:
    Kicking the ball out of play when someone is injured. If a player is seriously injured, the ref will stop the game, no need to kick the ball out of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I didn't realise that the GAA was so strong on the blue half of merseyside;)

can't remember the game, but saw one recenetly where a player went down injured, his team continued to attack. when the lost the ball they, and their fans, went mad that the oppostion went on the attack themselves instead of kicking the ball out. Think it was a PL or CL/Uefa match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

can't remember the game, but saw one recenetly where a player went down injured, his team continued to attack. when the lost the ball they, and their fans, went mad that the oppostion went on the attack themselves instead of kicking the ball out. Think it was a PL or CL/Uefa match.

It's a terrible "rule", someone always seems to go down injured when your team is on the attack. It started in good faith and is now completely abused

Quint wrote: »
    It's a terrible "rule", someone always seems to go down injured when your team is on the attack. It started in good faith and is now completely abused

they actually had a good clip on SSN this morning, from the England vs Serbia U21 game from 2 years ago. The Serbian defenders went down injured, England broke up the Serbia attack, and went on to score. The Serbs (including the 'injured' guy i think) went sprinting over to Matt Derbyshire going mental. Big fight at HT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

they actually had a good clip on SSN this morning, from the England vs Serbia U21 game from 2 years ago. The Serbian defenders went down injured, England broke up the Serbia attack, and went on to score. The Serbs (including the 'injured' guy i think) went sprinting over to Matt Derbyshire going mental. Big fight at HT too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwKL5LueHo

I remember that....Derbyshire looked scared sh*tless of those Serbs..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

stovelid wrote: »
    Also the fact that football management seems to operate in an utterly obverse way to normal business appointments: once you get to certain level of experience, repeated failure doesn't preclude you from big positions.

FM was Ericsson's tool of choice while building his city side under Shinawatra :P

• Advertisement

Drogs cousin? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Pretty good list. Good to see that some football fans, even those who have been bombarded most of their lives with Sky/corporate football culture, can think for themselves. What's rare is wonderful.

I'd disagree with 47) The idea of having 6 home-grown players per starting 11. This seems to go against most of what he is putting forward. Such a rule would help discourage much of the nonsense he despises, which comes from football being treated as a commodity (the latest manifestation of which being sponsorship deals dictating player destinations).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

i assumed the "Well Ibrahim Bakayoko is a football manager legend, so I hope we sign him in real life" type of talk football manager has brought to football.

Conversely a lot of the "unknown" talent that has sprung up in FM throughout the yeers have gone on to become stars

gustavo wrote: »
    Conversely a lot of the "unknown" talent that has sprung up in FM throughout the yeers have gone on to become stars

Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Are the player reports for FM still done by ordinary punters?

If so, you'd be as well off listening to some random punter on a message board.

Maybe Irish players don't need to take the plane to England for recognition, maybe they just need to slip the Irish FM scouts a few brown envelopes, and viola! Brian Murphy is in the next Irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes I think you have to be a season ticket holder at the club you research.(in the big leagues anyway)

One player I found in CM 99/00 who I never heard of in real life who turned out alright.....Ronaldinho :cool:

• Advertisement

If so, you'd be as well off listening to some random punter on a message board.

Maybe Irish players don't need to take the plane to England for recognition, maybe they just need to slip the Irish FM scouts a few brown envelopes, and viola! Brian Murphy is in the next Irish squad.

Yep, I've seen on numerous occasions people from the game posting on the Shelbourne Forum asking for help.

Also, I know they do the same on Foot.ie

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yes I think you have to be a season ticket holder at the club you research.(in the big leagues anyway)

One player I found in CM 99/00 who I never heard of in real life who turned out alright.....Ronaldinho :cool:

Ronaldinho was playing for Brazil in 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

In fairness Des, they've been fairly on the money a lot of the time. Ronaldinho, Messi, Tevez all superstars when they were kids. Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric, Kim Kallstrom, Phillpe Mexes, Ricardo Queresma, Kaka, Pato, Robinho etc.

Every year there are a couple of kids that really stand out and invariably they become world class players in their own right a couple of years later. The research is exceptional most of the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Like who?

Freddy Adu.:)

EDIT. Boo urns Mayordenis.

• Advertisement

Freddy Adu me bollix

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Freddy Adu me bollix

Learn to get a joke,
    ste high five

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Like who?

Masal Bugduv - wonderkid in FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Will be interesting to see how Christian Benetiz gets on at Birmingham, kid is an absolute monster in the latest version.

oh and one that slipped my mind earlier was Sergio Arguero, for the version before he moved to Athletico (and the one before that iirc) he was one of the best players in the world after a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It has always been a bit hit-and-miss. In the 01/02 game, Robben became one of the best in the world, but then again Michael Lamey, who also played for PSV, became one of the top right-backs in the world. I also remember Rooney being a dud who ended up in the lower leagues.

Of course if you played anyone in the hole, they quickly became one of the best, but that was as much to do with formation as anything else, for example David Dunn winning the golden boot three years in a row for me at Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

carlop wrote: »
    It has always been a bit hit-and-miss. In the 01/02 game, Robben became one of the best in the world, but then again Michael Lamey, who also played for PSV, became one of the top right-backs in the world. I also remember Rooney being a dud who ended up in the lower leagues.

Of course if you played anyone in the hole, they quickly became one of the best, but that was as much to do with formation as anything else, for example David Dunn winning the golden boot three years in a row for me at Birmingham.

Tommy Smith of Watford in CM 01/02, world-beater he was. I aways chuckle whenever I see his name on the scoresheet.

SectionF wrote: »
    Pretty good list. Good to see that some football fans, even those who have been bombarded most of their lives with Sky/corporate football culture, can think for themselves. What's rare is wonderful.

I'd disagree with 47) The idea of having 6 home-grown players per starting 11. This seems to go against most of what he is putting forward. Such a rule would help discourage much of the nonsense he despises, which comes from football being treated as a commodity (the latest manifestation of which being sponsorship deals dictating player destinations).

I'm also of the same opinion, if anything it contradicts everything he has said.

having 6 home grown players would also seriously have a knock on effect to the sky 4, what with Liverpool almost having an entirely latin squad at this stage.

One of the main reasons a sky 4 materialised was due to the influx of foreign players, expensive ones also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

1. Stephen Ireland refusing his country
    2. Ronaldos attitude
    3. Diving in general, happens far to often.
    4. Drogba injured and rolling back onto pitch to stop game.
    5. Fakeing injuries/ all soccer players should watch a hurling match some time or another!
    6. wages and prices for players. 65 mill for kaka today...and millions starving in the world.
    7. Fans Riots and general fighting between fans.... again i refer to GAA where fans from the 2 teams mix and never a problem.
    8. Clubs changing jerseys every year. if its not the home jersey been changed its the 2nd or 3rd strip. exploiting children.
    9.Players interviews.....they repeat the same **** every time... aswell as managers.
    10.No blood substitutions.
    11. Added time been picked almost out of the air at times.
    12. Offside decisions.
    13. Lack of video replays for goal line clerences and penalty decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

carlop wrote: »

It could never be anything more than hit and miss to be fair to it , You can't legislate for players getting injured , losing form etc etc

Yep, I've seen on numerous occasions people from the game posting on the Shelbourne Forum asking for help.

Think they may have on the SRFC Ultras forum before too IIRC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement