Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50 REASONS FOOTBALL IS EMBARRASSING...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

legs11 wrote: »
    I'm also of the same opinion, if anything it contradicts everything he has said.

having 6 home grown players would also seriously have a knock on effect to the sky 4, what with Liverpool almost having an entirely latin squad at this stage.

One of the main reasons a sky 4 materialised was due to the influx of foreign players, expensive ones also

The Sky 4?

The money gained from sky by the premeir league is distributed evenly amoung the 20 premier clubs, unlike other countries, e.g Spain
    The Sky 20 would be more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I enjoyed the list, nothing more then the truth on most cases. I have to reiterate #8 however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Boggles wrote: »
    The Sky 4?

The money gained from sky by the premeir league is distributed evenly amoung the 20 premier clubs, unlike other countries, e.g Spain

Not strictly true Boggles.

Clubs are guaranteed the same minimum amount of TV money, but the final sum for each year depends on how often a side are broadcast live.

IIRC the figure is £250k per match. It would be interesting to see the difference between the 20 clubs in terms of televised games.

That doesn't account for the added value of increased exposure, the impact on shirt and merchandise sales, the increased demand for sponsorship etc etc.

Not strictly true Boggles.

Clubs are guaranteed the same minimum amount of TV money, but the final sum for each year depends on how often a side are broadcast live.

IIRC the figure is £250k per match. It would be interesting to see the difference between the 20 clubs in terms of televised games.

It's not massive, something like 5 million between most shown and least show, clubs are guaranteed an extra 7 million even if they are not shown at all.

It is a double edged sword, the money they make from being shown the most is more than gobbled up by having to pay top players the top salaries.

The premier league have a pretty fair system in distributing tv money, there is a big gulk between top and bottom in prize money, but that is to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Boggles wrote: »
    The Sky 4?

The CL: Its very hard for other clubs to crack into, even without winning a title for almost 2 decades Liverpool's top 4 status is almost guaranteed every year, sky 4 money and CL money.

If there was a reduction in overseas players how would the sky 4 manage considering all their best players are most exclusively foreign

Im not having a pip at Pool here im just stating the fhacts...

legs11 wrote: »
    If there was a reduction in overseas players how would the sky 4 manage considering all their best players are most exclusively foreign

I'd imagine they would pouch all the best home grown players, combining them with the foreign players and the status qou would continue in the league.

It's not just the top 4 that have foreign players. As I said the difference in Sky tv money in the premeir league between top and bottom is not that much.

As for the Champions League, you can't single out sky on that, it is syndicated to several dozen countries / companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

speaking to a irish youth team manager who was ranting about how every kid under 15 now has green boots and when taking a free kick has to stand with their chest pumped out and legs spread like ronaldo... gone are the days of hero footballers like gary "i will only score from 6 yards and never get booked" lineker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

ditpoker wrote: »
    speaking to a irish youth team manager who was ranting about how every kid under 15 now has green boots and when taking a free kick has to stand with their chest pumped out and legs spread like ronaldo... gone are the days of hero footballers like gary "i will only score from 6 yards and never get booked" lineker.

To be fair, that's nothing new. when I was growing up, everyone waved their left arm in the air like an eejit whenever taking a free kick to emulate David Beckham.

They'll grow out of it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I swear to Jesus if this thread descends into a PL vs LOI pissing contest I'll ban every last one of you.

Must resist temptation...argh....LOI sucks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't understand the couple of posters who are vocal for their hate of Football Manager / Old Champo on this board. Yeah, guys who use Football Manager stats as evidence to back up their real life football opinions aren't the brightest of footballing sparks. But then again, how much better or worse are they than the guy who plays park football on a Saturday and believes that fact makes his assessment of a Premiership footballer more valid than his mate who doesn't? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Here's another reason: head butt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Now Riise can take a head butt like a champ

0,5001,5291433,00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I notice that nobody has mentioned that the toilets failed in Selhurst Park at half time in a premiership game and to add insult to injury they also ran out of beer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

To add:
    -Drogba vs Lehmann
    -Players not able to take a bit of contact/ feigning injury/ pretending that they were hit in the face
    -Drogba rolling back onto the pitch to get the game stopped when he was 'injured'
    -No video ref
    -Players arguing with officials
    -The generally negative response to the Respect campaign from players, journos and punters

Advertisement