Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question

• 09-06-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

My cousin is 25 and is moving to Ireland from the US. He got a provisional licence at 15 and a full licence the week he turned 16 (pretty standard stuff over there).
    Had a few tickets in his 20s but not a whole lot - in fact he's still insured there because his parents live there and he'll be going back quite often. He's gonna get a provisional licence as soon as he gets here with intent to get a full licence.
    Problem is his job requires him to travel and he'll need a car like the week he gets here. Can he get insurance on some cheap old car from an Irish company?
    Someone also mentioned to me that they knew someone from the US who got insurance on his Irish car from his US insurance company.

Sounds weird to me, but any info is appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe, but who is going to accompany him in his car (legal requirement)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Really hate to say it, but after watching 'Traffic Blues' and hearing that the Garda have no power to do seize the vehicle of a Learner Permit, why bother driving accompanied?

Sue there's a €1000 fine involved but thats a lottery at best :mad: It really beggars belief :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My initial thought was that he's allowed to drive for up to a year on his "foreign" licence before he requires a full Irish licence to drive unacompanied, but looking through the info (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit) it looks like this only applies if you are here on a temporary basis - less than 12 months.

If you are here permanantly then the above link doesn't seem to apply, you must apply for an Irish licence straight off, although I suppose there is nothing to say you can't tell the Gardai you are not planning on staying the whole year.

OP - try ringing a couple of insurance companies to see if anyone will insure based on a full US licence and your friend can apply for the Irish test during his first 12 months here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ...stephen...

That legal requierment is a load of bull! Nobody cares about it! And everybody drive regauardless. The gaurds dont care, ive been driving on the road for just over a year on a provisional lisence! Have done about 35000miles only got stop once. Not a thing said! And the fine ever heard of one person getting it! You would have to might some rare gaurd to give that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

R.O.R wrote: »
    My initial thought was that he's allowed to drive for up to a year on his "foreign" licence before he requires a full Irish licence to drive unacompanied, but looking through the info (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit) it looks like this only applies if you are here on a temporary basis - less than 12 months.

If you are here permanantly then the above link doesn't seem to apply, you must apply for an Irish licence straight off, although I suppose there is nothing to say you can't tell the Gardai you are not planning on staying the whole year.

OP - try ringing a couple of insurance companies to see if anyone will insure based on a full US licence and your friend can apply for the Irish test during his first 12 months here.
    That's what I was assuming the best way around it was. Just was wondering if anyone had an idea of what companies would be the best to ring or if anyone had heard of getting insurance for an Irish car through a US company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if he Served, there is a company for US servicemen that will cover him here. Don't have the details, but I'm sure the Embassy does.

If not, frankly, you're possibly goosed

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement